Jan 12th, '14, 16:44
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Ways to keep single hole yixing from getting clogged?

by the_economist » Jan 12th, '14, 16:44

My pleasure, some brewers do care quite a lot about these issues, so I can understand where you're coming from. Also, I sent you a pm :)

Jan 12th, '14, 17:23

by Alucard » Jan 12th, '14, 17:23

the_economist wrote:10% isn't very much, generally I pour off the first bit of my brews in any case (the bit sitting in the spout is supposedly weaker than the rest so I don't mind that it gets 'leaked off' the way you describe).
Just to clarify it was leaking out during the entire pour. 10% was a best guess. After 4-5 brews from an 85ml pot two paper towels (bounty not crappy store brand) had to be wrung-out.

Jan 13th, '14, 00:15

by Tead Off » Jan 13th, '14, 00:15

No doubt, some pots can be a pain to use. I don't like using heavy leakers but if you use a fair cup and strainer which sits on top of the fair cup, all the leaking goes into the server minimizing the mess. Tea tools can be very helpful. They are part of the ritual. If you can't give the pot back, you must adapt to it.

Jan 13th, '14, 00:40

by MarshalN » Jan 13th, '14, 00:40

Alucard wrote: I have a few emails back and forth with the vendor regarding the leaking (lid fit) and he said the same as you. My concern is not a few drops but having it trickle out of the lid, leaving ~10% of the brew in a puddle on the counter and the rest in the cup. When i pour very slow (low angle) the brew runs down the neck of the spout and causes even more tea to be wasted. Certainly I could have the wrong expectations at using such a pot, but I find it unpleasant to use. I'm not expecting perfection but I think this could be an exception. Please let me know if this heavy leaking is expected from older yixing pots so that I dont make the same mistake twice. Thanks.
Pouring very slow is going to make dripping worse, not better.

What kind of cup do you use? The best way to deal with this is simply pour out the contents into a container that's big enough for the pot to sit on top of - and once it emptied you can put it back and drink whatever's in your cup. Maybe if you show us a picture of your normal tea drinking setup we can suggest ways for improving your tea drinking experience.

Jan 13th, '14, 11:20

by Alucard » Jan 13th, '14, 11:20

MarshalN wrote: Pouring very slow is going to make dripping worse, not better.

What kind of cup do you use? The best way to deal with this is simply pour out the contents into a container that's big enough for the pot to sit on top of - and once it emptied you can put it back and drink whatever's in your cup. Maybe if you show us a picture of your normal tea drinking setup we can suggest ways for improving your tea drinking experience.
Thanks for the advice. Another forum member advised to sit on top of a larger container to pour into, then pour into the cup. I was pouring directly into the cup. This has certainly been a learning experience to say the least.

Jan 13th, '14, 11:52
Scrolling: scrolling

by brandon » Jan 13th, '14, 11:52

If you look around, you'll notice all the other members put a bowl or tea tray under their pots.

Jan 14th, '14, 02:50

by chrl42 » Jan 14th, '14, 02:50

Why not buy a Yixing strainer for a dollar :roll: , actually you can make one for yourself if you have a metal sieve in your house.

+ Post Reply