Kota Kinabalu

Culture, language, tangibles, intangibles from countries known for tea. China, Japan, Taiwan, Korea, India, etc...

Jan 13th, '14, 10:13
Vendor Member

Kota Kinabalu

by jayinhk » Jan 13th, '14, 10:13

Found a pretty cool little tea store in the heart of Kota Kinabalu today. It was in a mall that is mostly Chinese businesses and the guy had about two hundred pots, some with price tags over $5,000. I knew he was going to trip about me walking in, but I started speaking Cantonese and he was like WTF. lol. I told him I was from HK and he WTFed some more. lol. In much of Asia, where you're from is about your race and ethnicity...that whole culturalization being who you are thing doesn't fly over here so much. Being obviously NOT Chinese and speaking Cantonese does open doors out here though. I get discounts (sometimes without even asking). I like it. :)

http://s24.postimg.org/m35lxqwj9/IMG_2524_1.jpg

Bought some liu bao ($50 for 100g) on impulse since I wanted to see how the MY-stored stuff compares since it's suppposed to be popular tea among the local tea aficionados. Haven't had a chance to try it yet, but I will when I get home and have access to my pots. The guy had lots of pu erh and prepackaged oolong from tea companies in Peninsular Malaysia. I didn't have much time since I was on a really tight schedule, but his store was packed with stuff.

The owner showed me a book of beautiful paintings by talented Guangzhou painters, and then told me the paintings were on exhibition in the office around the corner. He then GAVE me the book of paintings! LOL. He put his card in the bag with the tea too. Interesting character. :) Hope the tea's good, because it was much more expensive than I thought it would be!

http://s24.postimg.org/wou2nhs8l/IMG_2525_1.jpg

http://s8.postimg.org/w57e56nad/IMG_2526_1.jpg

http://s23.postimg.org/4pyy6e5yj/IMG_2527_1.jpg

I also saw some very nice Royal Selangor pewter tea canisters today. Thought of Marshal!

Jan 21st, '14, 22:38
Vendor Member

Re: Kota Kinabalu

by jayinhk » Jan 21st, '14, 22:38

Tried his liu bao today--excellent. Clean, delicate flavor, sweet and great cha qi. The only other liu bao I've tried was purchased in HK and was much cheaper and quite a bit harsher. I'm going to relish the liu bao!

In India now and I brought along quite a bit of tea, as well as a gaiwan and a large cup for myself. I bought my downstairs neighbor here some high fire and excellent green TGY and I'm looking forward to teaching her how to brew it. I'm especially looking forward to the greener TGY I bought her, since I haven't had any from that particular source in a few years!

EDIT: Had a cold, and now bronchitis, and the liu bao is extremely relaxing and even lifts my mood. This is great tea. A tiny bit of bitterness, but nothing unpleasant in this tea at all; classic liu bao flavor with a light cherry aftertaste. I love this stuff!

Nov 17th, '14, 00:57

by tthau2010 » Nov 17th, '14, 00:57

Hi,
Do you know what is the mall name or the tea store name that you posted the pictures? Or you have the tea store name card that you can take picture and show it here? I would like to visit it. Thank you

Nov 17th, '14, 10:41

by BioHorn » Nov 17th, '14, 10:41

Jay,
I always love hearing your 1st hand accounts from HK. Thank you for sharing the story and photos. It was very enjoyable!
H

Nov 17th, '14, 22:05
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Nov 17th, '14, 22:05

Thanks BH!

As for the name of the mall...ouch. It's in the mall opposite the largest mall in downtown KK, but I can't remember what it's called now. I think it's Warisan Square. Sorry I can't be of more help! There are a ton of money changers and the mall is primarily Chinese businesses, so if you see lots and lots of Chinese people and money changers, you're in the right place!

+ Post Reply