Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Jan 16th, '14, 12:35

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by debunix » Jan 16th, '14, 12:35

Petr suggested trying tea Grandpa style in my new teabowl, and today I tried it with 102K Da Yu Ling from Origin Tea. It made a magical start to the day, watching the leaves unfold from tight curls

and sipping the lovely tea--such a beautiful tea, that I knew I could trust to enjoy this way

and the sweet, spicy, floral tea made a great accompaniment to a homemade fruity variation on madnakash bread.

Jan 17th, '14, 18:57

by Noonie » Jan 17th, '14, 18:57

Premium Da Yu Ling from Dragon Tea House.

Third time brewing this tea. First time brewed at 90c, 1.5 tsp, and let steep around 2:30...wow, it was over-powering. Last two times I'm at 88c, 2 tsp, :55 steep...adding :05 for additional steeps. Better, but still not sure I have it nailed.

A few observations: no bitterness, full of flavour, very sweet, the leaves don't expand like other tightly rolled oolongs (TGY), they seem very wet...seeming to absorb the water even after 2-3 steeps. There is a taste there that I can't explain...

Jan 18th, '14, 00:17

by debunix » Jan 18th, '14, 00:17

Finishing up a day-long session with the wonderfully fruity Lao Cong Shan Cha Taiwanese oolong from Norbu--a tea made from a 'wild' tea varietal. it reminds me a lot of the Jiri-Mountain Hwang Cha from Korea via Morning Crane, although it does not have match the astonishing stamina for multiple infusions of the Hwang Cha--I got about 8 infusions from a shiboridashi half filled with the Lao Cong Shan Cha. It's another wonderful and unusual tea from Norbu.

Jan 18th, '14, 09:15

by Math » Jan 18th, '14, 09:15

Tried a sample of Red Blossoms Heritage Huang Guan Yin yesterday. Not a bad tea with lot of strong floral perfumey notes, good mouthfeel and a spicy finish but the experience was ruined by a strong harsh unpleasantness in the throat, I would say almost corrosive sensation, that I suspect must come from use of pesticides/agrochemicals in the production of this tea. Not very nice! :(

I like red blossoms teas in general, but think I'll steer clear of their yanchas from now on.

Jan 18th, '14, 13:24

by 茶藝-TeaArt08 » Jan 18th, '14, 13:24

Math wrote:Tried a sample of Red Blossoms Heritage Huang Guan Yin yesterday. Not a bad tea with lot of strong floral perfumey notes, good mouthfeel and a spicy finish but the experience was ruined by a strong harsh unpleasantness in the throat, I would say almost corrosive sensation, that I suspect must come from use of pesticides/agrochemicals in the production of this tea. Not very nice! :(

I like red blossoms teas in general, but think I'll steer clear of their yanchas from now on.

Math, Greetings! Out of curiosity, what were the parameters of your brew (grams, vessel, steep times, temp., etc.)?

Blessings!

Jan 18th, '14, 16:45

by debunix » Jan 18th, '14, 16:45

Da Yu Ling this morning, from my little Seong-Il pot and a Seong-Il cup

Jan 18th, '14, 17:22

by Ursinos » Jan 18th, '14, 17:22

still just sipping away at some TGY from David's Tea here. it's the only straight oolong I have in the house right now :( (the wife has some sample packs of flavored oolongs, but that takes away from the tea itself lol.... *hopes he isn't turning into a tea snob*)

Jan 18th, '14, 21:54

by chrl42 » Jan 18th, '14, 21:54

am drinking Oriental Beauty gotten from Beijing Tea Expo 2012,

brewing in very porous late-Qing hongni yixing, yet aroma still maintained...very interesting :)

crazy in durability, only lao Puerh would match with that.

Jan 18th, '14, 22:28

by Teaism » Jan 18th, '14, 22:28

My first ever taste Siao Hong Pao. Collected by my master in 1991 and brewed by him in my house at 2 am after a long session of training day.... A dream come true. This tea came from the Da Hong Pao area in Wuyi and very rare and exotic and really incredible. It has the real taste of Dao Hong Pao but have that unique prickly sweetness and aroma of Da Hong Pao. Can't really find the right word to describe this incredible tea. Very happy tea day.

Jan 18th, '14, 22:49

by 茶藝-TeaArt08 » Jan 18th, '14, 22:49

Today I pour some really wonderful rounds of Norbu's Ba Xian Fenghuang Wulong tea, the last of my 10g sample. This tea has great longevity. Out of the bag, there is not much fragrance; even after a short bake in the pot the fragrance is subtle, but after a flash rinse or first brew the pot is alive with really rich scent. I pour 5g in a 90ml glazed, Andrzej Bero kyusu for more than ten rounds. I'm not even certain I can characterize this tea; it was such a surprise and seems a middle ground between certain elements of a richer hong cha (only at first, immediately upon sipping) and the lighter elements of a softer wulong (present in the overall flavor, floral and fruit that lingers). It's a very "warm" tea and has a nice, but not distracting, astringency; though, I did pour the tea in a glazed kyusu and drank the tea in glazed, medium-walled cups. The glazing usually increases/keeps the astringency. This astringency was predominantly on the back half of my tongue, both sides and top, and the flavor followed with a "rosy fruit." My wife described it as "lychee" and there may have been subtle elements of lychee. Very nice tea!

Blessings!

Jan 19th, '14, 11:36

by minor_glitch » Jan 19th, '14, 11:36

Enjoyed some 2012 Winter Da Yu Ling from Origin before bed last night. Good excuse to play with a new camera lens :D

Jan 19th, '14, 13:47

by debunix » Jan 19th, '14, 13:47

Nice tea!

What's the new lens? Metadata is not showing from the uploaded image.

Jan 19th, '14, 17:26

by minor_glitch » Jan 19th, '14, 17:26

debunix wrote:Nice tea!

What's the new lens? Metadata is not showing from the uploaded image.
Technically it's an old lens. Nikon Micro-Nikkor AF 105mm f/2.8 D. Got it for a good price on ebay. I've been wanting a macro lens for a while and this one is pretty awesome! Took this shot of a kiwi with it the other day: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5540/1203 ... 9f4d_o.jpg

Jan 19th, '14, 17:37
Scrolling: scrolling

by Drax » Jan 19th, '14, 17:37

Brewed a couple of ~30-year oolongs this weekend in the sleek ba lei pot from the Economist (thanks!)... a newer pot, very nice balance and quite heavy for its size.
20140118_104935.jpg
An oolong weekend for a long weekend.
20140118_104935.jpg (29.94 KiB) Viewed 1868 times

Jan 19th, '14, 17:40

by debunix » Jan 19th, '14, 17:40

Nicely paired with that tempest cup!
minor_glitch wrote:Nikon Micro-Nikkor AF 105mm f/2.8 D
That's a great lens. The only one I like better is the 60mm macro, and that because simply because it's a more all-around lens than the 105. Most of my tea-related shots are with one or the other of these.

+ Post Reply