Jan 19th, '14, 18:58

Yixing for Taiwanese Oolong advice

by AlRogo » Jan 19th, '14, 18:58

Hi Guys,

I am wondering, is it wise (or very unwise) to brew Taiwanese high mountain oolongs in the same Yixing teapot as light Dong Ding (not charcoal roasted or aged)?
Also, I have a high quality new zhuni Yixing, thin walled, high fired that I want to dedicate to Pouchong Oolong, and was wondering if any other teas would work in this teapot as well or whether a teapot for Pouchong should be strictly left for Pouchong alone?

Thank you in advance for any advice and information. It is appreciated :)

Jan 19th, '14, 19:23
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Yixing for Taiwanese Oolong advice

by William » Jan 19th, '14, 19:23

Hi AlRogo,

I have two teapots, one is dedicated to unroasted/lightly roasted/lightly oxidized oolong, for example gaoshan, the second one¹, instead, is dedicated to oolong roasted at a medium/high level and/or higly oxidized, for example gaoshan.

¹I use the second one also for aged oolong.

Regarding your zhuni Yixing, I would recommend you to use it with everything that works well with it .. for example, if you find that works quite well with Gaoshan or lightly oxidized oolong, use it to everything that falls into this category.

Have a nice day!

Jan 19th, '14, 19:47

by AlRogo » Jan 19th, '14, 19:47

Thanks for the advice William,

I think I'll use lightly roasted Dong Ding with Gao shan and see how it works out, I just wanted an opinion before I seep into it (pun intended :P) incase it has been unsuccessful for some. I want to get the most out of my Yixing's, my Shu Puerh pot has come on a lot so I know the potential.

As for the zhuni, I will try Pouchong; but would a Tieguanyin (being floral in nature) be a stupid tea to use alongside this?

Thanks again, all the best and happy brewings

Jan 19th, '14, 19:57
Scrolling: scrolling

by William » Jan 19th, '14, 19:57

Well, if you are referring to a Ti Kwan Yin grown in China, I usually do not brew different terroir with the same teapot .. but if you realize that there is no interference between the two different production regions, drink and relax! :D

Jan 19th, '14, 20:06

by AlRogo » Jan 19th, '14, 20:06

I totally agree, I'll use it solely for Pouchong.
I want an Yixing for Tieguanyin, would be best to have a dedicated one to be honest, Pouchong is nothing like it.
Money money aha
Thanks again William, it helps a lot :)

Jan 19th, '14, 23:25

by bagua7 » Jan 19th, '14, 23:25

I'd use one pot for several different Taiwan teas and rinse with hot water after use.

You can brew any teas in your zhuni pot...the only ones I don't brew are Chinese greens and cooked puerh, but that's my personal preference.

Have fun!

Jan 20th, '14, 04:16

by AlRogo » Jan 20th, '14, 04:16

Thank you bagua7, I will get this Yixing going on Taiwanese greener oolongs today.
I will experiment a little bit with this zhuni and see what works best.
Yes same, I use a gaiwan and small porcelain teapot for my Chinese greens, although I will eventually try a Duan Ni Shi Piao for my LongJing's to smooth off the edge, just haven't found the pot yet.
I highly recommend a Yixing for Shu Puerh if you drink it often, the vanilla chocolate sweet tones are enhanced, and earth notes crisp up so well, it's like new tea each time :)

Jan 20th, '14, 19:23

by bagua7 » Jan 20th, '14, 19:23

AlRogo wrote:I highly recommend a Yixing for Shu Puerh if you drink it often, the vanilla chocolate sweet tones are enhanced, and earth notes crisp up so well, it's like new tea each time :)
+1 You don't get that in porcelain, unfortunately.

My experience is that not all pots provide that note even if made of the same clay. There are other factors that influence the outcome, so the play is endless in here. The problem is that collecting Yixings is not a cheap hobby, especially if one is after quality usable/functional pots. :mrgreen:

+ Post Reply