Types of Puer? When to Give up?


One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Re: Types of Puer? When to Give up?

Postby sherubtse » Jan 17th, '14, 22:21

shah82 wrote:What sort of puerh do you want, sherubtse?


I am looking at sampling a fairly broad selection of several types / styles. I have made a short-list from White 2 Tea, but have also had a look at Tea Urchin. (The latter does not distinguish between sheng & shu, which makes it harder to choose a cross-section of different teas.)

Any suggestions would be welcome. :)

Thanks.

Best wishes,
sherubtse
User avatar
sherubtse
 
Posts: 612
Joined: Jan 9th, '1
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Types of Puer? When to Give up?

Postby shah82 » Jan 17th, '14, 22:29

I think, at this point, it's probably a better idea to stick with one idea at a time. Puerh is pretty subtle, especially if you have to blind sample or something. That subtlety though, allows for a very wide range of experiences.

So what's the most fascinating thing about puerh, that you've read about?
shah82
 
Posts: 1017
Joined: May 9th, '0

Re: Types of Puer? When to Give up?

Postby Tead Off » Jan 17th, '14, 23:18

sherubtse wrote:
shah82 wrote:What sort of puerh do you want, sherubtse?


I am looking at sampling a fairly broad selection of several types / styles. I have made a short-list from White 2 Tea, but have also had a look at Tea Urchin. (The latter does not distinguish between sheng & shu, which makes it harder to choose a cross-section of different teas.)

Any suggestions would be welcome. :)

Thanks.

Best wishes,
sherubtse

Sure they do. Under Puerh, they have both Ripe and Raw. Ripe=Shou=Cooked=Black
Raw=Sheng=Green
User avatar
Tead Off
Vendor Member
 
Posts: 3210
Joined: Apr 1st, '0
Location: Bangkok

Re: Types of Puer? When to Give up?

Postby sherubtse » Jan 18th, '14, 07:52

Tead Off wrote:Sure they do. Under Puerh, they have both Ripe and Raw. Ripe=Shou=Cooked=Black
Raw=Sheng=Green


Ah yes, the list to the left. I totally missed that when I last looked. Thanks for pointing that out to me, Tead Off. :)

Best wishes,
sherubtse
User avatar
sherubtse
 
Posts: 612
Joined: Jan 9th, '1
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Types of Puer? When to Give up?

Postby sherubtse » Jan 18th, '14, 07:57

shah82 wrote:So what's the most fascinating thing about puerh, that you've read about?


I wish to sample some puer to broaden my tea horizons and experience new teas, as well as learn about new types of tea.

Best wishes,
sherubtse
User avatar
sherubtse
 
Posts: 612
Joined: Jan 9th, '1
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Types of Puer? When to Give up?

Postby shah82 » Jan 18th, '14, 12:36

Understood, but I think you should narrow it down. Do you want it to be a short step from oolongs? Do you want smooth mouthfeel? Textured? Strong yuns and huigans? Strong taste? Aged taste? Do you need or want fruitiness? Just getting a wildly disparate selection of samples probably wouldn't help that much.
shah82
 
Posts: 1017
Joined: May 9th, '0

Re: Types of Puer? When to Give up?

Postby Exempt » Jan 18th, '14, 14:32

sherubtse wrote:
shah82 wrote:What sort of puerh do you want, sherubtse?


I am looking at sampling a fairly broad selection of several types / styles. I have made a short-list from White 2 Tea, but have also had a look at Tea Urchin. (The latter does not distinguish between sheng & shu, which makes it harder to choose a cross-section of different teas.)

Any suggestions would be welcome. :)

Thanks.

Best wishes,
sherubtse


You can just click on the tea and look at the pictures to determined whether a tea is sheng our shou
Exempt
 
Posts: 288
Joined: Dec 9th, '1
Location: Seattle

Re: Types of Puer? When to Give up?

Postby sherubtse » Jan 18th, '14, 16:14

shah82 wrote:Understood, but I think you should narrow it down. Do you want it to be a short step from oolongs? Do you want smooth mouthfeel? Textured? Strong yuns and huigans? Strong taste? Aged taste? Do you need or want fruitiness? Just getting a wildly disparate selection of samples probably wouldn't help that much.


Thanks for the suggestion, shah82. It is something that I will have to think about ....

Best wishes,
sherubtse
User avatar
sherubtse
 
Posts: 612
Joined: Jan 9th, '1
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Types of Puer? When to Give up?

Postby Peacock » Jan 18th, '14, 21:17

I have tried various sheng samples from YS and Puerh shop, all of which I think were crap. I received one sample from Tea Urchin, and I liked that over all the other samples. So I think I'm going to start sampling from there, like Tead Off mentioned.
User avatar
Peacock
 
Posts: 180
Joined: Oct 28th, '
Location: California

Re: Types of Puer? When to Give up?

Postby ZeroC » Jan 19th, '14, 23:15

I read a lot of "get tea from here" or "get tea from there" but no "get THIS exact tea to try. If you don't like any of these x number of puers then you will probably never find one you like."
ZeroC
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Dec 31st, '

Re: Types of Puer? When to Give up?

Postby Exempt » Jan 19th, '14, 23:22

ZeroC wrote:I read a lot of "get tea from here" or "get tea from there" but no "get THIS exact tea to try. If you don't like any of these x number of puers then you will probably never find one you like."

That's because that's not how it works. Everyone has a different palette and enjoys different flavors, feelings, and aspects of puerh. No one can recommend one tea that everyone will like and that represents all puerh. You have to try a lot and find what you like. People can only point you towards vendors that generally sell good tea so you don't buy crap from somewhere
Exempt
 
Posts: 288
Joined: Dec 9th, '1
Location: Seattle

Re: Types of Puer? When to Give up?

Postby debunix » Jan 20th, '14, 00:41

A particularly difficult part of making recommendations here is the issue of vintage: puerh is more affordable when young, more drinkable when aged, and most suppliers have limited quantities of any particular tea, so it's hard to recommend a particularly tasty puerh that is also still available cheap from a particular source.
User avatar
debunix
 
Posts: 4758
Joined: Jan 10th, '
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Types of Puer? When to Give up?

Postby teatre » Feb 3rd, '14, 07:57

Exempt wrote:You can just click on the tea and look at the pictures to determined whether a tea is sheng our shou


Does this hold true for well aged sheng also? Is it only the leaf color you would look at, or are there other factors used to distinguish them visually?
teatre
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Jan 18th, '
Location: Norway

Re: Types of Puer? When to Give up?

Postby miig » Feb 19th, '14, 14:39

Its been some time since your questions, if you're still interested: Should you really want to know, here it is:

Usually shops will indicate wheter its sheng or shu, and sheng that is so old that it's as red and dark as shou will probably cost quite a bit.
Anyhow, here's a very nice and complete overview

http://puerh.blogspot.de/p/puer-by-appe ... orage.html
User avatar
miig
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Sep 26th, '
Location: Europe

Re: Types of Puer? When to Give up?

Postby MarshalN » Feb 19th, '14, 15:07

teatre wrote:
Exempt wrote:You can just click on the tea and look at the pictures to determined whether a tea is sheng our shou


Does this hold true for well aged sheng also? Is it only the leaf color you would look at, or are there other factors used to distinguish them visually?


Oh yes you can. The leaves look different, not just the colour.
User avatar
MarshalN
 
Posts: 2041
Joined: Mar 15th, '

Previous

Instant Messenger

Permissions
You cannot post new topics
You cannot reply to topics
You cannot edit your posts
You cannot delete your posts
You cannot post attachments
Navigation