Jan 20th, '14, 13:26

Soaking for long - Healthier or not?

by Soltaro » Jan 20th, '14, 13:26

Hello,

Lately I've been drinking a lot of tea and was wondering whether it's healthier or actually unhealthier to soak a bag of tea in a thermosflask for a couple hours before drinking it.

I was thinking it would get more of the flavor out and perhaps some more nutrients but now I also heard something about 'bad nutrients' you get after you soak for 10 minutes or so.

What are your thoughts on this?

Jan 20th, '14, 13:45

Re: Soaking for long - Healthier or not?

by debunix » Jan 20th, '14, 13:45

Most of us here brew for flavor and enjoyment, rather than for maximum perceived healthiness. When I am in a hurry, I often brew selected teas* by putting the tea in a thermos, filling with hot water, and hitting the road. For teas that can take this without turning unpleasant--and there are not many I'd put in that category--it's a decent cuppa for hours or occasionally overnight. But I don't feel any different after I drink a cup of freshly brewed tea vs this long-steeped version, so no idea which is 'healthier'.

Can't imagine many bagged teas would tolerate this without becoming vile-tasting.

*a few dark roasted oolongs and shu puerhs, mostly

Jan 20th, '14, 13:45

by Ursinos » Jan 20th, '14, 13:45

Soltaro wrote:Hello,

Lately I've been drinking a lot of tea and was wondering whether it's healthier or actually unhealthier to soak a bag of tea in a thermosflask for a couple hours before drinking it.

I was thinking it would get more of the flavor out and perhaps some more nutrients but now I also heard something about 'bad nutrients' you get after you soak for 10 minutes or so.

What are your thoughts on this?

not sure on the health aspect, but I know steeping tea for that long really changes the flavor, bringing out harsh bitter flavors.

I've also had issues in the past with over-steeped tea causing me issues with insomnia and chest pains (if imbibed in large quantities.)

Jan 20th, '14, 14:20

by debunix » Jan 20th, '14, 14:20

Ursinos wrote:steeping tea for that long really changes the flavor, bringing out harsh bitter flavors
This is why I only try it with teas that have little or no bitterness, like aged or nice shu puerhs, or some dark roasted oolongs that actually mellow a bit on long steeping.

Jan 21st, '14, 05:17

by chrl42 » Jan 21st, '14, 05:17

It's no good.

I've read it a magazine, tea brewed for too long, then it started to get toxic.. :shock:

Jan 21st, '14, 11:19

by Teaism » Jan 21st, '14, 11:19

One of my friend once told me that he gave up drinking tea because he developed joints pain and some symptom of arthritis. I asked him why he soaked the tea too long and he replied "How do you know that?"

I heard from somewhere that soaking tea for too long may cause this problem and gave the answer a shot and he was floored. Not sure if it is the truth but I am just sharing the experience if it is of any value. I am not an expert in this topic but I am always jittery about soaking tea for too long.

I prefer to brew tea at boiling temperature with fast infusion even for green tea. It has other benefits, from my past experiment and experience.

+ Post Reply