Soaking for long - Healthier or not?

For general/other topics related to tea.

Soaking for long - Healthier or not?

Postby Soltaro » Jan 20th, '14, 14:26

Hello,

Lately I've been drinking a lot of tea and was wondering whether it's healthier or actually unhealthier to soak a bag of tea in a thermosflask for a couple hours before drinking it.

I was thinking it would get more of the flavor out and perhaps some more nutrients but now I also heard something about 'bad nutrients' you get after you soak for 10 minutes or so.

What are your thoughts on this?
Soltaro

Re: Soaking for long - Healthier or not?

Postby debunix » Jan 20th, '14, 14:45

Most of us here brew for flavor and enjoyment, rather than for maximum perceived healthiness. When I am in a hurry, I often brew selected teas* by putting the tea in a thermos, filling with hot water, and hitting the road. For teas that can take this without turning unpleasant--and there are not many I'd put in that category--it's a decent cuppa for hours or occasionally overnight. But I don't feel any different after I drink a cup of freshly brewed tea vs this long-steeped version, so no idea which is 'healthier'.

Can't imagine many bagged teas would tolerate this without becoming vile-tasting.

*a few dark roasted oolongs and shu puerhs, mostly
debunix

Postby Ursinos » Jan 20th, '14, 14:45

Soltaro wrote:Hello,

Lately I've been drinking a lot of tea and was wondering whether it's healthier or actually unhealthier to soak a bag of tea in a thermosflask for a couple hours before drinking it.

I was thinking it would get more of the flavor out and perhaps some more nutrients but now I also heard something about 'bad nutrients' you get after you soak for 10 minutes or so.

What are your thoughts on this?

not sure on the health aspect, but I know steeping tea for that long really changes the flavor, bringing out harsh bitter flavors.

I've also had issues in the past with over-steeped tea causing me issues with insomnia and chest pains (if imbibed in large quantities.)
Ursinos

Postby debunix » Jan 20th, '14, 15:20

Ursinos wrote:steeping tea for that long really changes the flavor, bringing out harsh bitter flavors

This is why I only try it with teas that have little or no bitterness, like aged or nice shu puerhs, or some dark roasted oolongs that actually mellow a bit on long steeping.
debunix

Postby chrl42 » Jan 21st, '14, 06:17

It's no good.

I've read it a magazine, tea brewed for too long, then it started to get toxic.. :shock:
chrl42

Postby Teaism » Jan 21st, '14, 12:19

One of my friend once told me that he gave up drinking tea because he developed joints pain and some symptom of arthritis. I asked him why he soaked the tea too long and he replied "How do you know that?"

I heard from somewhere that soaking tea for too long may cause this problem and gave the answer a shot and he was floored. Not sure if it is the truth but I am just sharing the experience if it is of any value. I am not an expert in this topic but I am always jittery about soaking tea for too long.

I prefer to brew tea at boiling temperature with fast infusion even for green tea. It has other benefits, from my past experiment and experience.
Teaism

Instant Messenger

Permissions