Kamairicha Recommendations?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Jan 13th, '14, 14:39

by saxon75 » Jan 13th, '14, 14:39

Hi all,

I've never tried kamairicha before and have been interested lately in trying it out. Does anyone have any recommendations? Descriptions of particular ones you like would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Jan 13th, '14, 15:19

by debunix » Jan 13th, '14, 15:19

I participated in a tasting of two Kamairichas a couple of years ago and both that I tried were quite lovely teas.

Jan 15th, '14, 23:34

by amaranto » Jan 15th, '14, 23:34

I really love kamairichas and am also looking for a good place to buy. I've been told a vendor at yunomi.us sells one, but I haven't tried it.

Jan 16th, '14, 03:19

Re: Kamairicha Recommendations?

by saxon75 » Jan 16th, '14, 03:19

Thes du Japon has a few, but I have never tried them. Though, I can say they have some outstanding senchas.

Jan 16th, '14, 12:38
Scrolling: scrolling

by eyvind » Jan 16th, '14, 12:38

Yuuki-cha has a few kamairicha types available. I usually get at least one when I order from them.

They are rather mild compared to sencha. I often brew them in a shiboridashi with a high leaf to water ratio.

Unfortunately I have no other kamiricha to compare to since this is the only source for this type of tea that I have used. I would be interested in trying them from other places for comparison.

Jan 16th, '14, 21:31

by Chip » Jan 16th, '14, 21:31

Pan-fired Kamairicha never got me very excited ... never had a craving for it as I do sencha, for instance. I have tried quite a few ... guess it is not my cuppa tea. Not knocking it ...

However, pan-fired Kamairicha's brother Guricha (also called tamaryokucha) is a non pan-fired, steamed version that I do enjoy. I really enjoyed Den's version a few years back. I also see MellowMonk sells it but have not tried it. It is an easy brewer and particularly easy to handle compared to just about any other Japanese green.

If you are on a quest to try different forms of Japanese greens, definitely give Guricha a try.

Jan 20th, '14, 13:33

by shinobicha » Jan 20th, '14, 13:33

I have tried a 2-4 Kamairicha's from Thes du Japon. A couple of them have been very good. If you see that one goes up for sale made by a producer named Hiruma san (Mr. Yoshiaki Hiruma), then try it. In general, he makes very good teas, and TdJ often carries multiple ones from him (not just Kamairicha).

However, I currently have a guricha from Yunomi.us that is awesome: https://yunomi.us/shop/7822/guricha-ste ... aryokucha/
It's $10 for 40g...a really good price for this tea, it is excellent.

Jan 23rd, '14, 14:04

by Chip » Jan 23rd, '14, 14:04

shinobicha wrote:I have tried a 2-4 Kamairicha's from Thes du Japon. A couple of them have been very good. If you see that one goes up for sale made by a producer named Hiruma san (Mr. Yoshiaki Hiruma), then try it. In general, he makes very good teas, and TdJ often carries multiple ones from him (not just Kamairicha).

However, I currently have a guricha from Yunomi.us that is awesome: https://yunomi.us/shop/7822/guricha-ste ... aryokucha/
It's $10 for 40g...a really good price for this tea, it is excellent.
Hmm, might have to give this https://yunomi.us/shop/7822/guricha-ste ... aryokucha/ a try. It has been several years since I have had a Guricha.

Perhaps I should give TDJ's Kamairicha shot too!

Thanks for the recommendations.

Jan 23rd, '14, 16:25

by shinobicha » Jan 23rd, '14, 16:25

Chip wrote:Thanks for the recommendations.
You're most welcome.

Speaking of Yunomi, I've only ordered once, but I've been pleased with everything I ordered. (Especially that guricha and this black tea https://yunomi.us/shop/2959/creha-tea-shizuoka-marico/).

However, more specifically...I'd bet that Ian (owner of Yunomi) would be happy to participate in an OTTI. He might even have the OTTI in pre-sample packs for you Chip, saving you a ton of time - most everything on the site can be ordered in 10g or 50g sizes.
Plus, he gives big discounts for volume buys (it's built into the site; you just have to register as a 'wholesaler' which for OTTI I think definitely qualifies, because I don't think you actually have to be a store of some kind).

Anyway, when you are starting to put together an OTTI, contact him!

+ Post Reply