Beyond Beauty Film, Tea, and the Enviroment

Miscellaneous Discussion. Any topics that don't fit in other areas of the forum.

Jan 24th, '14, 18:13

Beyond Beauty Film, Tea, and the Enviroment

by Norms » Jan 24th, '14, 18:13

Has anyone watched this film? It is a really fantastic film regarding the current state of health that the island of Taiwan is in, both beautiful and sad at the same time. I really recommend it if you haven't seen it yet. I'd liken to Al Gore's "An Inconvenient Truth", meets Planet Earth. Anyway, worth a watch--but what I really wanted to ask was to anyone who has seen it, and if they know any real information/data regarding growing tea in Taiwan and it's environmental impacts, and if it's as negative as it's portrayed in the film.

All I could find was a TED Case Study from 2004 which reiterates the negative effects of deforestation and actually states that growth of these farms were encouraged by the governing offices to further Taiwan's economic standings. These large farms in part attributed to mud and landslides that threatened (and took) lives, as well as water contamination (sorry I would link the reference, but it's not too difficult to find.)

However this study was from 2004 (BUT the film is from 2013), so I don't know if there have any policies been put into place since then, but if anyone has any input or insight I'd love to hear! I'm American but of Taiwanese descent so this is an interesting topic for me. The island of Taiwan is not very large and I have a lot of family there so these sort of things tend to resonate with me. I know there are a lot of you guys who love this tea, and some who even deal with the farmers directly so it would be really interesting to hear the insight from the other side of things.

I love tea and I love Taiwan, but after watching this movie, drinking high mountain Taiwan tea is weighing more and more on my conscience.

/soap box

Jan 29th, '14, 03:16

Re: Beyond Beauty Film, Tea, and the Enviroment

by bagua7 » Jan 29th, '14, 03:16

Thanks for bringing this up.

Here's a movie trailer for Beyond Beauty

Yes, very sad to see what is happening to Formosa. I'm not happy either. :cry:

Mar 27th, '14, 07:35
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Beyond Beauty Film, Tea, and the Enviroment

by bliss » Mar 27th, '14, 07:35

Norms wrote:what I really wanted to ask was to anyone who has seen it, and if they know any real information/data regarding growing tea in Taiwan and it's environmental impacts, and if it's as negative as it's portrayed in the film.
I haven't seen it, but I wanted to bump this since I was waiting for some knowledgable member to reply.

+ Post Reply