Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Jan 20th, '14, 09:31

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by Math » Jan 20th, '14, 09:31

茶藝-TeaArt08 wrote:Math, Greetings! Out of curiosity, what were the parameters of your brew (grams, vessel, steep times, temp., etc.)?

Blessings!
Sure TeaArt. Nothing unusual, I emptied the full sample pack into my 70 ml yancha pot. It took up about 1/3 of the space, so slightly less tea than I usually put in when I brew yanchas. The tea was very broken however and lots of small pieces. I washed the tea and brewed short infusions 5-6 seconds from the start and then increasing to 15 by the 3rd brew. I brewed the fourth brew considerably shorter but it still came out with that burning feeling in the throat. I threw away the tea after that.

Had a nice White Leaf Dan Cong from In the mood for tea yesterday. Very fruity (lychee?) and smooth without much of any bitterness showing up despite being brewed with a casual hand. All in all a very pleasant refreshing tea.

Jan 20th, '14, 09:33

by Math » Jan 20th, '14, 09:33

minor_glitch wrote:Enjoyed some 2012 Winter Da Yu Ling from Origin before bed last night. Good excuse to play with a new camera lens :D

Glitch, Absolutely lovely shot! Love it!

Jan 20th, '14, 09:44

by Teaism » Jan 20th, '14, 09:44

Lovely shot. I love macro photography too. Highly technical but very satisfying.

Jan 20th, '14, 16:25

by 茶藝-TeaArt08 » Jan 20th, '14, 16:25

Jin Guanyin tea from Norbu (http://www.norbutea.com/JinGuanYin?category_id=5): 7.5 grams of a 50 gram bag in 120 ml "hei dan shi/黑膽石" stone teapot. This is the first time in a while that I've poured with this teapot; it is thin-medium walled, light in the hand, and pours immaculately. Checking Norbu today I see that this tea has sold out and I can see why. It's an incredibly pleasant greener TGY, brewed as it was, very buttery, complex, full mouth feel ("baoman/飽滿") and a sustained green-floral-sweet linger in the throat. The tea expressed quality longevity across rounds.

(*For anyone that hasn't seen so already, Norbu's Jan.1st-Jan.31st 25% off sale is still in effect.)

Math wrote:

Tried a sample of Red Blossoms Heritage Huang Guan Yin yesterday. Not a bad tea with lot of strong floral perfumey notes, good mouthfeel and a spicy finish but the experience was ruined by a strong harsh unpleasantness in the throat, I would say almost corrosive sensation, that I suspect must come from use of pesticides/agrochemicals in the production of this tea. Not very nice! :(

I like red blossoms teas in general, but think I'll steer clear of their yanchas from now on.
Sure TeaArt. Nothing unusual, I emptied the full sample pack into my 70 ml yancha pot. It took up about 1/3 of the space, so slightly less tea than I usually put in when I brew yanchas. The tea was very broken however and lots of small pieces. I washed the tea and brewed short infusions 5-6 seconds from the start and then increasing to 15 by the 3rd brew. I brewed the fourth brew considerably shorter but it still came out with that burning feeling in the throat. I threw away the tea after that.
Math, thank you. The only tea I've drank from Red Blossom is their Dong Ding Charcoal Roasted Formosa Wulong. I enjoyed it very much and it is a quality example of what a roasted Dong Ding tea can be. I've also ordered one of Xu De Jia's chawans from them. I'm surprised at the intense effect ("corrosive") and it made me curious. I can't say I've ever had such an experience and was curious to see if what you brewed the tea in heightened any possible intense outcomes. I'm curious what they'd do if you contacted them in regards to the tea's corrosive outcome.
Teaism wrote:Lovely shot.
+1 The more time I spend on TeaChat, the more I realize I'm going to have to acquire some photography skills to do justice to the beauty and process of tea.

Blessings!

Jan 20th, '14, 16:39

by debunix » Jan 20th, '14, 16:39

Lovely teapot! And tasty tea.

Your photography makes clear that it is a natural stone pot--quite dramatic.

Jan 20th, '14, 18:33

by tenuki » Jan 20th, '14, 18:33

80s baozhong I got quite some time ago from camillia sinensis that had been kinda stale and bleh the last couple times I tried it. I did a touch up roast on this and it turned out quite nice, we'll see over time if I ruined it or not. I have no illusions about my roasting skills.

Jan 24th, '14, 17:06

by mcrdotcom » Jan 24th, '14, 17:06

Having a session with almost the last of my 2006 high roast anxi TGY from origin tea! This tea is amazing when brewed hard and strong. Like a fine espresso after dinner, tobacco, coffee, camphor, sweet undertones. Excellent experience.

IMG_4092 by mcrdotcom, on Flickr

IMG_4094 by mcrdotcom, on Flickr

IMG_4091 by mcrdotcom, on Flickr

EDIT: Photos, and to mention the vanilla, hints of vanilla coming through! :)

Jan 24th, '14, 22:39
Vendor Member

by ethan » Jan 24th, '14, 22:39

mcrdotcom, That first photo is mind-boggling. ????
Tea looks quite dark & sounds wonderful.

Jan 25th, '14, 01:02
Scrolling: scrolling

by the_economist » Jan 25th, '14, 01:02

Too bad its sold out :(

Jan 25th, '14, 12:53

by mcrdotcom » Jan 25th, '14, 12:53

ethan wrote:mcrdotcom, That first photo is mind-boggling. ????
Tea looks quite dark & sounds wonderful.
Very dark! Comes out almost like coffee while in the cups!
the_economist wrote:Too bad its sold out :(
It's an excellent experience and I hear there are some new high fired teas coming soon! :)

Jan 25th, '14, 16:03

by DavidM » Jan 25th, '14, 16:03

My first attempt at gong-fu tea style infusion and my first time using a gaiwan. It's a bit tricky to work with. I need some practice. Right now I'm using adagio's Fujian TKY.

Jan 25th, '14, 16:07

by debunix » Jan 25th, '14, 16:07

DavidM wrote:first attempt at gong-fu tea style infusion and my first time using a gaiwan
Looks like you're off to a good start. Practice, practice, practice....easy to do because the results are so tasty, even when they're not yet 'perfect'.
Last edited by debunix on Jan 25th, '14, 16:08, edited 1 time in total.

Jan 25th, '14, 16:08

by the_economist » Jan 25th, '14, 16:08

High fire Tie Guan Yin (MTR) lazy gongfu style in a heini shuiping.
Strong mineral aftertaste, sweet sweet finish!

Jan 25th, '14, 17:20

by Noonie » Jan 25th, '14, 17:20

the_economist wrote:High fire Tie Guan Yin (MTR) lazy gongfu style in a heini shuiping.
Strong mineral aftertaste, sweet sweet finish!

The sword looks nice, was is it's purpose in your tea session (anyone try to swipe your tea :lol: ).

Jan 25th, '14, 18:14

by the_economist » Jan 25th, '14, 18:14

I use it as a pu knife sometimes.

+ Post Reply