Do you have mesh type preference in kyusu?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

What type of mesh would you pick if you could have only one kyusu?

Simple steel mesh
No votes
Large really fine steel mesh
25%
Flat ceramic mesh
31%
Ball type ceramic mesh
31%
Direct filter
6%
No preference
No votes
I pick looks over functionality
6%

Total votes: 16

Jan 28th, '14, 10:17
Vendor Member

Do you have mesh type preference in kyusu?

by Xell » Jan 28th, '14, 10:17

After using different teapots for quite some time now my preferences more or less settled down. Most of the time i would like to use kyusu with big and really fine steel mesh or a tokoname kyusu with flat and large surface ceramic mesh. Maybe it's because of tokoname clay qualities, but didn't see better ceramic filters from different sources.

I drink quite often fukamushi teas, so i get even more broken leaves. Found out that ceramic ball mesh doesn't really work as well as flat ceramic mesh. More difficult to get out last drops of water, can make next infusions more tricky.

Maybe it's because i don't really like tea leaves getting into my cup.

It's interesting to see if other people have similar thoughts on this matter :)
Last edited by Xell on Jan 28th, '14, 11:27, edited 2 times in total.

Jan 28th, '14, 10:33

Re: Do you have mesh type preference in kyusu?

by AdamMY » Jan 28th, '14, 10:33

I am a huge fan of ceramic mesh, or ceramic ball filters. I would have to give the nod to the flat mesh over the ball just because I think it handles sencha better, and what else is a kyusu for really?

Jan 28th, '14, 10:37
Scrolling: scrolling

by bliss » Jan 28th, '14, 10:37

Maybe there should be an "Anything ceramic" option?

EDIT: "Direct filter" should probably be on the list as well?

Jan 28th, '14, 11:32
Vendor Member

by Xell » Jan 28th, '14, 11:32

Well, included most common to me and tried to keep it simple. I didn't really see much of direct filters in kyusu actually, only in houhin.

Added direct filter, but seems results were reset.

Jan 28th, '14, 11:39
Vendor Member

by Xell » Jan 28th, '14, 11:39

AdamMY wrote:I am a huge fan of ceramic mesh, or ceramic ball filters. I would have to give the nod to the flat mesh over the ball just because I think it handles sencha better, and what else is a kyusu for really?
Exactly, if kyusu can handle sencha it can handle about any other japanese tea :) Or any other tea probably, somehow i like to brew green oolongs in small kyusu.

Ceramic flat filter is really close second place for me, but looks and aesthetics sure are better with ceramic filters.

Jan 28th, '14, 12:48

by bliss » Jan 28th, '14, 12:48

I hope I did not come across as snarky. I just didn't have much time before since I was cooking, writing this on the phone, and I could'nt see the option I was looking for.

When I buy a kyusu, the fact that the filter is ceramic and not made of steel is most important, filter-wise. Ceramic filter, clay type, being unglazed (at least inside) and how it looks are more important to me than the actual filter type. Those things are not ordered by importance.

If I could only have one, I would probably choose sasame filter. That would be the same as flat ceramic mesh or is it different? The only reason for me to choose that would be because of fuka (although I think Chip seems to have had a good experience with ball type for fuka given some pouring skill). If I knew I would only use the kyusu for non-fuka, I think I'd prefer direct filter so I could get every drop out of there.

My kyusu from Andrzej Bero has direct filter and it's great, I've mainly used that one for Oolong. The fact that it is made in Europe breaks the typical "Only tea from country X for teapot made in country X", that I'm guilty of doing with my Japanese kyusus, and Yixing. I'd love some Polish-grown herbata in there though! :mrgreen:

Jan 28th, '14, 13:37

by eyvind » Jan 28th, '14, 13:37

I assume flat ceramic means sasame or ceramesh type.
I like this type as it is part of the pot as a whole. I like the idea of the kyusu as an entire object rather than a collection of parts.

These type of filters also force the pourer to go slowly which seems fitting to Japanese tea. Even if the filter is not super fine I would use it for fukamushi- the leaf particles are part of the experience. Tea is food, right? :wink:

Not exactly kyusu related:
For herbal tisanes- I like a fine metal mesh direct filter method. Some herbs like chamomile have small particles that continue to float. This experience, I will pass.

Jan 28th, '14, 14:34

by Chip » Jan 28th, '14, 14:34

Heh, weird that I am, I like having examples of each around to experiment and ... play. I guess I have done that. My findings are far from definitive, however ... I am clearly drawn much more to clay material (or same as the body of the Kyusu) for the screen.

I voted for ball, but could be happy with sesame ... less so direct wall screen as it can be frustrating with fukamushi, but I enjoy using the direct wall for appropriate sencha, for asamushi, no problem. Thing I like about ball over sesame is the ball tends to allow more finer particles to pass through which can really enhance a good cuppa fuka.

Jan 28th, '14, 14:36

by Chip » Jan 28th, '14, 14:36

A lot has to do with the quality of the screen and the screen attachment.

A very good ball filter can pour as fast as any sesame ... w/o much attention to the pouring technique. A poorly made ball can be a nightmare for even asamushi.

Assuming the screen is a good one, a well attached ball or sesame will fully drain the pot although sometimes with later steeps adjusting pouring techniques can be helpful. However, A poorly attached filter as in the photo below, in other words there is a space between the wall of the pot and where the holes in the screen actually begin will be a headache each time I use it, for instance:
What was Motozo thinking when he did this? According to the seller, Motozo claims he did this so the screen was less apt to break off. Hmmm, anyone have any screens breaking off? I recall seeing someones broken, but seriously, how often will this occur. Having brewed likely over 50,000 steeps with clay screens, I have never had one break or break off.

Jan 28th, '14, 14:49

by 茶藝-TeaArt08 » Jan 28th, '14, 14:49

When I buy a kyusu, the fact that the filter is ceramic and not made of steel is most important, filter-wise. Ceramic filter, clay type, being unglazed (at least inside) and how it looks are more important to me than the actual filter type.
+1
I assume flat ceramic means sasame or ceramesh type.
I like this type as it is part of the pot as a whole. I like the idea of the kyusu as an entire object rather than a collection of parts.
+1 For me the attraction to a piece is of course different for each piece. With a kyusu I look at how the handle balances in proportion to the pot body. I don't enjoy overly long spouts. I want a sense balance and proportion and am primarily looking at the overall aesthetic and functionality of the kyusu. However, I too like the fact that a kyusu feels like a whole and is not a collection of parts. But the overall features of the teapot (exterior glazing, texture, size, clay, etc. all play an important part in an attraction to a piece). With kyusu, size is more often an issue; I find I am often drawn to many kyusu only to realize the sizes are just too large for my usage.

Blessings!

Jan 29th, '14, 13:02

by MEversbergII » Jan 29th, '14, 13:02

Those ball filters must be a real nightmare for anyone with Trypophobia.

M.

Feb 3rd, '14, 22:02

by bambooforest » Feb 3rd, '14, 22:02

Hand made pots with a ceramic screen are the most pleasing to the eyes. There is no factory feel to them whatsoever.

However, my opinion is that metal screens at the base of the spout pour better and, more importantly, are more efficient at emptying all of the tea liquids instead of having some sit on the leaves which will impact the subsequent infusion.

So, I'd say I like ceramic best for looks, and tea spirit. But metal for efficiency and functionality.

Feb 3rd, '14, 22:44

by debunix » Feb 3rd, '14, 22:44

I like the ceramesh filters or carefully made ball filters quite a lot: they rarely get things stuck in them, they don't provide a space for things to get trapped, as the metal band filters can, and aesthetically they're quite pleasing. There may be less than perfect emptying of the last drops, but leaving behind a few drops is not something I worry about as it simply lets the next infusion started. I've not had a pot where the ceramesh left behind more than a few drops at any rate, and I've not had a problem with my TeaChat Artisan-made pot filters either. I did have one or two few-hole ball filters in cheap 'yixing' pots that were pretty dysfunctional, and those pots have left the collection.

Apr 12th, '14, 02:59

by Alex » Apr 12th, '14, 02:59

I like them all!

But favorite would be ball filter correctly made with the top half of the filter having holes that meet the pot wall. I like them as they handle Fuka with ease and are fully handmade.

I like sesame but they filter too fine for my liking and arent handmade which don't sit right with me on high end pots, they also have a small lip where they attach to the pot body meaning they don't drain out every drip.

Direct is aesthetically the nicest to me but care, patience, and strict protocol is needed for fine Fuka. If all I drank was Asa then direct hole would be my first choice.

Don't like the metal screens at all.

Desert island time though would mean a ball filter for me.

+ Post Reply