A Cold Day in Detroit....

Please introduce yourself here to our membership

Jan 30th, '14, 16:58

A Cold Day in Detroit....

by rroberrt » Jan 30th, '14, 16:58

... Coldest in years yesterday! Just the weather for a nice cup of tea. I like mine strong...'PG Tips' (Brooke Bond) or 'Irish Breakfast' (Bewley's) ...until late afternoon that is, and then something with less, or no caffeine - some Green or Oolong but with a little flavoring.

That in a nutshell folks, together with introduction above, is me - not very original I'm sure. I do wish I had discovered this site years ago; so many interesting comments, (and incidentally, kudos on keeping such a well-run forum for so long). :)

I spent some time among the posts; but 47 pages - my goodness!

For boiling water i prefer my (unlined) C.I. Kettle, but also use a 'Breville' electric at times. My teapots are: 1) A little china 12 ouncer (part of a tea-set, 5 cups and saucers, given my wife by a Japanese client) and 2) A pretty handmade 'Yixing' 16 ouncer, with its two little bowls. Also pressed into service, to be honest is a motley collection of bone china cups and saucers (mixed but pretty); also some plain old mugs and totally undistinguished teapots!

I hesitate to share, being new, but so far have not noticed a couple of tweaks I like to use all the time:

1) When pouring into tea-pot or cup, I pour from 10 inches or so higher; just enough to force bubbles, (ie oxygen) into the tea.

2) For black tea I add a dash of powdered ginger to the cup.

3) When using a saucer, I'll often dribble the hot tea from the cup into the saucer. (Don't ask me why. My grandfather used to do it.) :)

Jan 30th, '14, 18:08
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: A Cold Day in Detroit....

by Chip » Jan 30th, '14, 18:08

Hi rroberrt and welcome to TeaChat. :mrgreen:

Thank you for the compliment about out forum, now I am hoping to see you around here often sharing with us.

Sometimes I will also pour from high, but more to cool the water than any other reason. Plus, it brings out the kid in me! :D

Jan 30th, '14, 19:05

by rroberrt » Jan 30th, '14, 19:05

Thanks Chip! Good to let that kid out every now and again.

BTW Has anyone mentioned the book, "The Teahouse Fire" by Ellis Avery?
19th Century Japan, and just dripping with tea lore.

Jan 30th, '14, 19:26

by Chip » Jan 30th, '14, 19:26

A TeaChat search of teahouse + fire revealed the following results ... scroll down for relevant postings.

http://www.teachat.com/search.php?keywo ... mit=Search

Jan 30th, '14, 21:57

by rroberrt » Jan 30th, '14, 21:57

Thanks again Chip.

I suspected as much: Tea people and books go together. Wonderful listing and comments.

Jan 30th, '14, 21:59

by Chip » Jan 30th, '14, 21:59

You are welcome ... see you around the forum!

+ Post Reply