Official Pu of the day

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Re: Official Pu of the day

Postby JakubT » Jan 30th, '14, 15:43

brandon wrote:
JakubT wrote:2003 Dayi Nannuo now, in school. I hoped it would get better - nope. It's not really bad, but it's not too full, sweet, nor tasty - it's like scented wood with a lot of bitterness and some astirngency...


This hasn't been my experience. Tea in this age range is demanding of the brewer to extract the fullness, IMO.


Well, it might be caused by Oxford water which is not the best indeed - but it was quite like that even back in Prague, both with Brita filtered water and tea stove water. I think that good tea of this age is actually quite non-demanding (compared to young puerh) to get it right, given good water - I drink mostly 90s-2005 teas for some time and with most, I have no problem getting them right.

There are some quite tricky teas at that age (and at almost any other age), no doubt, but even when they are not prepared at their best, you can usually see some potential in them - with this 03 Nannuo, I don't see much good - it's just another too dry stored woody tea imho.

JakubT
Posts: 167
Joined: Jan 04, '12
Location: Prague

Re: Official Pu of the day

Postby shah82 » Jan 30th, '14, 17:18

While I don't agree with brandon, either (too many good and non-fussy teas of that age), I think I do have to suggest that the Nannuo characteristics are what's mostly at fault, rather than it be too dry stored. As of 2010 or 2011 or so, '94 tea made from Nannuo had some of these issues, but considerably mellowed. That floral woody astringency is pretty stiff through the aging process.

shah82
Posts: 1280
Joined: May 09, '09

Re: Official Pu of the day

Postby the_economist » Jan 30th, '14, 18:40

I think pu from 03 might be in a tricky phase. I've had the 03 Dayi Nannuo and I thought it was pretty full bodied and rich. In my limited experience, I haven't been a big fan of Nannuos but that one was enjoyable.

User avatar the_economist
Posts: 736
Joined: Sep 04, '10
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Official Pu of the day

Postby debunix » Jan 30th, '14, 22:05

2008 YiWu bamboo-aged sheng from Norbu. Glad to still have a pleasing stock of this tea, which today gracefully dealt with being tossed into a thermos and covered with hot water--hardly the best of brewing conditions. Lovely mellow tea, with a rich, distinctive caramel quality that is so soothing. I'm enjoying it today with my newest Shyrabbit cup, which has made itself perfectly at home in the cup rotation at work....where it shines even when the backdrop is piles of papers rather than the garden.

Image

User avatar debunix
Posts: 5854
Joined: Jan 10, '10
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Contact debunix:

Re: Official Pu of the day

Postby Tead Off » Jan 30th, '14, 22:09

The age thingy is funny. Drinking any tea with age doesn't assure us of being good. Maybe said tea is just not that good. I've had many 2003 teas that have fallen quite short for me.

Nannuo can make very good shoucha.

User avatar Tead Off
Vendor Member
Posts: 4491
Joined: Apr 01, '09
Location: Bangkok

Re: Official Pu of the day

Postby TIM » Jan 31st, '14, 00:19

Tead Off wrote:The age thingy is funny. Drinking any tea with age doesn't assure us of being good. Maybe said tea is just not that good. I've had many 2003 teas that have fallen quite short for me.

Nannuo can make very good shoucha.


There is a movie term call: "Shxt in, Shxt out." Drink bad materials to start does not equals to good aged bad stuff.

User avatar TIM
Vendor Member
Posts: 2042
Joined: Apr 04, '06
Location: NYC
Contact TIM:

Re: Official Pu of the day

Postby gasninja » Jan 31st, '14, 10:02

02 Menghai 8502 I like really this tea. I wish it was a little stronger though. As I love the flavor profile of larger leaf teas. For the leaf grade I think you should read this 85-10-2. It tastes like a much older 8582 but seems a little winded. I think this one should have had slightly more fine grade material in the blend to give it a little backbone and age-ability. I am hoping it is just be to soon for this tea to give a good performance after shipping.

I think this would be make an awesome blend with a 90s 7532. Maybe worth getting for that.

User avatar gasninja
Posts: 673
Joined: Mar 10, '11
Location: on top of a mountain.

Re: Official Pu of the day

Postby Teaism » Feb 1st, '14, 20:27

Sharing some tea knowledge with my relatives in Spring Festival family gathering. It is really nice to enjoy tea with a big crowd of family members. Some of them are seasoned drinkers and most of them drink tea on regular basis. I was doing the brewing in this gathering.

Started with 2012 Youle, 2009 Yiwu Mahei, 2005 Gedeng, 2003 Manzhuang, 2002 DXS, 2002 Yiwu, 1995 300 gm CR brick and finish with TLH.
It was exciting to brew gongfu Yancha for 12 people.
Yummy! :D

User avatar Teaism
Posts: 720
Joined: Jan 05, '13

Re: Official Pu of the day

Postby debunix » Feb 1st, '14, 23:35

Ending the tea day with a session of Shen Shan Lao Shu sheng puerh, end of a sample from a several year old order from Jing Tea Shop. Anise, herbs, sweet, hints of earthiness. Wonderful stuff.

Editing to add a note about the wonderful body of this tea--not just lovely flavor, but a wonderful feeling to the tea liquor as well.

User avatar debunix
Posts: 5854
Joined: Jan 10, '10
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Contact debunix:

Re: Official Pu of the day

Postby William » Feb 3rd, '14, 09:46

Wild Pu Erh from DXS, woody/sugary flavours, deep aftertaste. The aroma is pretty hard to descrive, mainly herbaceous and honeyed notes. After 8 flash brews, the aftertaste lingers for a really long time. This tea relaxes body and mind. Satisfied! :D

User avatar William
Posts: 904
Joined: Jul 10, '13
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Italy / Japan

Re: Official Pu of the day

Postby Teaism » Feb 3rd, '14, 10:29

William wrote:Wild Pu Erh from DXS, woody/sugary flavours, deep aftertaste. The aroma is pretty hard to descrive, mainly herbaceous and honeyed notes. After 8 flash brews, the aftertaste lingers for a really long time. This tea relaxes body and mind. Satisfied! :D


I am a fan of wild DXS and your description on it is really good. :D

Cheers!

User avatar Teaism
Posts: 720
Joined: Jan 05, '13

Re: Official Pu of the day

Postby William » Feb 3rd, '14, 11:59

Teaism wrote:
William wrote:Wild Pu Erh from DXS, woody/sugary flavours, deep aftertaste. The aroma is pretty hard to descrive, mainly herbaceous and honeyed notes. After 8 flash brews, the aftertaste lingers for a really long time. This tea relaxes body and mind. Satisfied! :D


I am a fan of wild DXS and your description on it is really good. :D

Cheers!

From today onwards I will be a fan of it too!
Have a nice day! :D

User avatar William
Posts: 904
Joined: Jul 10, '13
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Italy / Japan

Re: Official Pu of the day

Postby chrl42 » Feb 4th, '14, 03:31

debunix wrote:2008 YiWu bamboo-aged sheng from Norbu. Glad to still have a pleasing stock of this tea, which today gracefully dealt with being tossed into a thermos and covered with hot water--hardly the best of brewing conditions. Lovely mellow tea, with a rich, distinctive caramel quality that is so soothing. I'm enjoying it today with my newest Shyrabbit cup, which has made itself perfectly at home in the cup rotation at work....where it shines even when the backdrop is piles of papers rather than the garden.

Image

For a second, I thought of looking at Kilmt :mrgreen:

That sparkles reflected in the camera are just gorgeous :)


*am having Korean bamboo leaf tea..wanna go back to camelia sinensis :o

User avatar chrl42
Posts: 1777
Joined: Mar 22, '08
Location: Beijing
Contact chrl42:

Re: Official Pu of the day

Postby William » Feb 5th, '14, 09:19

80's Liu Bao.

Smooth, mellow, sugary/humid-wood notes that persist throughout the session (not finished!).
Conversely, the aroma is characterized by a musky/old paper scent .. it reminds me, in particular, the typical odor of old books!

Not my cup of tea, but for those looking for this type of aromas/flavors, is a must try.

Image

User avatar William
Posts: 904
Joined: Jul 10, '13
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Italy / Japan

Re: Official Pu of the day

Postby debunix » Feb 5th, '14, 19:38

Even bulk-thermos-brewed, Menghai Golden Needle White Lotus is reliably soothing and caramelicious. Mmmm.

User avatar debunix
Posts: 5854
Joined: Jan 10, '10
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Contact debunix:


Today's Poll



Community

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest