Inexpensive grandpa style

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Feb 2nd, '14, 23:08

Inexpensive grandpa style

by m1nt » Feb 2nd, '14, 23:08

Hi -
I'm looking for an inexpensive tea that would be best for grandpa style brewing in a glass water bottle (16 oz Lifefactory) I can carry around during classes in the day. I know greens would work well since I've tried it in the past, but I would be open to any other teas that work well brewed in this style - what are your experiences with this brewing method? Would the greens from Yunnan Sourcing be a good choice (their bi luo chun is $6.50 / 100 g for instance)? I think below $15 / 100g would be a good price for my student budget. I looked at some options on Dragon Tea House that also looked nice, but it would be best overall if I could get domestic shipping.

Cheers!

Feb 3rd, '14, 09:17

Re: Inexpensive grandpa style

by MEversbergII » Feb 3rd, '14, 09:17

Yunwu's at low concentrations have worked for me in the past.

I know a lot of folks like oolongs grandpa style.

Guessing this should really be in "General".

M.

Feb 3rd, '14, 14:17

by m1nt » Feb 3rd, '14, 14:17

Sorry for the category, still new around here...

Are you referring to this? Looks like a very manageable price http://theteaspot.com/clouds-and-mist-organic-tea.html

As for the oolongs, would these be darker or lighter that do best in grandpa style?

Thanks for the help!

Feb 3rd, '14, 15:11

by miig » Feb 3rd, '14, 15:11

Hi,

i think you could do this with most tea styles, but here's a nice article by the tea guardian. At the end, theres a list with teas that he considers especially well-suited for that approach:
Tea in the thermos

Anyhow, the best thing is to try around a little: The question is what you like best.. theres not the one most suitable tea, but the one whose outcome you'll like most.

Feb 3rd, '14, 16:32

by debunix » Feb 3rd, '14, 16:32

I agree with a lot of what is written in that article. I prefer mellow shu puerhs and some darker roast oolongs for most of my thermos brewing, but for grandpa style, my favorites can get unpleasant if any one of those first infusions gets prolonged--in the thermos, I limit the quantity of leaf so that no matter how long it brews, it doesn't get over concentrated. Grandpa-style, with hot brewing, is trickier, and the few teas I've really enjoyed that way are really fine oolongs and green teas, not the inexpensive ones that work great in the thermos.

Feb 3rd, '14, 22:00

by ClarG » Feb 3rd, '14, 22:00

What is grandpa style? Maybe you should make the tea the night before in a larger quantity and then drink it cold/iced in the water bottle?

Feb 4th, '14, 12:41

by MEversbergII » Feb 4th, '14, 12:41

M1nt: Yep, seems like.

Clar: http://www.marshaln.com/whats-grandpa-style/

For tea in the thermos I've always just brewed it in a pot then poured it in - never brewed in the thermos.

M.

Feb 5th, '14, 21:15

by m1nt » Feb 5th, '14, 21:15

Thanks for the replies. I'm drinking some roasted oolong in the water bottle grandpa style right now (the bottle just came in the mail today) - I think it is very convenient for during the day when I can just drink without worrying too much about parameters of brewing (just keeping the leaf/water low though). It's a good alternative to drinking plain water (can save the better teas for later). The teaguardian article miig referred to has a good comparison between different teas for which work best in this style too. Cheers!

Feb 7th, '14, 10:24

by MEversbergII » Feb 7th, '14, 10:24

Yeah, Leo's site has a good number of interesting gems throughout. He's been at this a while, and has had a lot of experience experimenting.

M.

Feb 7th, '14, 12:01

by Poseidon » Feb 7th, '14, 12:01

I like to drink Kukicha or TGY oolong grandpa style. This is how i normally drink tea at work because its very easy. This is the cup I use: http://www.amazon.com/WSWS-Tea-Infuser- ... ea+infuser

Feb 7th, '14, 14:12

by sherubtse » Feb 7th, '14, 14:12

I also use grandpa style at work, as I have neither the time nor the implements to brew "properly". But I restrict my brewing this way to inexpensive blacks, usually, and the occasional green as well.
Best wishes,
sherubtse

+ Post Reply