How many Kyusu do you own? And bonus question, how many do you use? So, 2 answers are permitted.

20%
2-3
22%
4-5
10%
6-7
3%
8-10
2%
11-14
1%
15 or more
2%
I USE 1
14%
2-3
15%
4-5
5%
6-7
1%
8-10
1%
11-14
1%
15 or more
2%

Total votes: 442

Feb 3rd, '14, 00:39
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Ode to the Kyusu

by eyvind » Feb 3rd, '14, 00:39

I have been reluctant to employ the partial filling. The reasons are: difficulty in estimating volume of water, and potential leaf loss due to sticking to the inside of the pot.

These are weak reasons but you're taking away another excuse to procure more kyusu ! :twisted:

I really will try it out next time I need to brew in the 240ml range.

Feb 3rd, '14, 15:12

by Chip » Feb 3rd, '14, 15:12

eyvind wrote:I have been reluctant to employ the partial filling. The reasons are: difficulty in estimating volume of water, and potential leaf loss due to sticking to the inside of the pot.

These are weak reasons but you're taking away another excuse to procure more kyusu ! :twisted:

I really will try it out next time I need to brew in the 240ml range.
I was long reluctant to employ a larger kyusu as well ... similar reason(s).

However I do not rely on the kyusu to determine amount of water I am using ... instead using either cup(s) or a yuzamashi (like the one from Shawn I have been posting which has nice ridges on the inside that I use as markers for volume).

I also always tap the back of the Kyusu on the palm of my hand to get leaves to fall off the sides of the Kyusu before pouring water in for successive steeps. I then also pour the new water along the Kyusu sides (and lid if leaves are there, and then lastly swirl the water to get all the leaves back in the pull ... <leave no one behind!> (pun intended)

Feb 5th, '14, 17:34

by Drax » Feb 5th, '14, 17:34

So, I yoinked the Yamada Sou kyuusu that Lionel offered a few weeks back. It just arrived, and I had to take it for a spin!
sou_sencha_above.jpg
View from above.
sou_sencha_above.jpg (34.15 KiB) Viewed 1585 times
The kyuusu was exactly what I was looking for -- a smaller one (it's on the order of 120-130mL), which happens to perfectly fit the Tempest hagi cup, my all time favorite and #1 cup.
yamada_sou_closeup.jpg
Closeup.
yamada_sou_closeup.jpg (27.34 KiB) Viewed 1585 times
The kyuusu has an amazing ruggedness, especially to the touch.

Feb 5th, '14, 18:04

by AdamMY » Feb 5th, '14, 18:04

Drax wrote:So, I yoinked the Yamada Sou kyuusu that Lionel offered a few weeks back. It just arrived, and I had to take it for a spin!
sou_sencha_above.jpg
The kyuusu was exactly what I was looking for -- a smaller one (it's on the order of 120-130mL), which happens to perfectly fit the Tempest hagi cup, my all time favorite and #1 cup.
yamada_sou_closeup.jpg
The kyuusu has an amazing ruggedness, especially to the touch.

Very nice! A very eye catching kyusu, I really thought about snapping it up myself.

Feb 5th, '14, 18:14

by bliss » Feb 5th, '14, 18:14

That is a STUNNING couple Drax! How do you get along with the kyusu so far? (handling / brewing).

I'm getting excited about my incoming Yamada Sou kyusu. Got word from Lionel today that Yamada Sou is preparing the wooden box, getting the kyusu ready for shipping. Very enjoyable notifications to have in the inbox! It'll be my first wooden boxed Japanese ceramic. Such a lovely tradition, the boxing! :D

Feb 5th, '14, 18:19

by debunix » Feb 5th, '14, 18:19

Lovely pairing with the Tempest cup.

Feb 5th, '14, 18:35

by Drax » Feb 5th, '14, 18:35

Thanks, everybody!

Bliss, it pours very well, or at least, so far! Because of its smaller size, I have to be a little more careful when I hold it (I have large hands) -- so it's not like my other kyuusus, which most of them I can quickly grab and pour. This one requires a bit more adjustment to ensure that I've got a good hold on it.

Congratulations on grabbing one of the other ones that lionel offered. If it's anything like this one (and I'm sure it will be), it will be a wonderful part of your tea brewing!

Feb 5th, '14, 19:29

by tea girl » Feb 5th, '14, 19:29

That is amazing Drax. Really beautiful!

Feb 5th, '14, 20:24

by kikula » Feb 5th, '14, 20:24

Drax, that's one of the prettiest teapots I've seen, perfectly perfect! Congrats!

Feb 5th, '14, 22:06

by Chip » Feb 5th, '14, 22:06

Beautiful Drax. Congratulations on your purchase. I considered buying it myself ... but held off long enough for you to buy it. :wink: I am glad you bought it, because hopefully we will hook up one day, and I will get to see it in person! Til then, we do get to see it on TeaChat.

As fate would have it, Toru from Artistic Nippon offered some Shudei Kyusu by Yamada Sou a few days later which is where I wanted to start with Yamada Sou (and progress from there to wood fired, etc.) and the size is perfect for what I wanted as well. I have #10 on hold while I finish my order.

Oh, love the way the Tempest has aged for you. It is one of my faves too.

Feb 6th, '14, 07:09

by Drax » Feb 6th, '14, 07:09

Chip wrote:I have #10 on hold while I finish my order.
Excellent! I will look forward to your thoughts on the clay. I'm curious to how it feels and sounds.

Feb 8th, '14, 23:36

by Chip » Feb 8th, '14, 23:36

Drax wrote:
Chip wrote:I have #10 on hold while I finish my order.
Excellent! I will look forward to your thoughts on the clay. I'm curious to how it feels and sounds.
Alrighty!

Til then ... revisiting Sado reduction fired red clay Kyusu by Shimizu Ken, a Hojo magic clay kyusu.

I was a bit judgmental on my first impression of this particular one (of 4 purchased at the time). I have since come to appreciate this one more. It brews awesome asamushi. But there are subtle variations from the other Shimizu Ken Kyusu that I initially considered ... faults. The direct wall screen consists of fewer holes, and the spout is narrower thus slowing the flow ... I have come to conclude that these two "faults" are actually careful planning on the part of the artisan creating an interesting balance and a slower pouring kyusu.

blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Feb 9th, '14, 14:36

by Chip » Feb 9th, '14, 14:36

The 4 Y's of Tokoname Kyusu ... Yamada, Yohei, Yokei, Yoshiki. This is my first "Y" ... for Yoshiki.

Compared to many Yoshiki, this one is of simple design as often Yoshiki Kyusu are quite ornate. I chose this one however due to it being a "taller" Kyusu and on the smaller side. A great fit.

I have also always been a fan of the interplay of reduction and oxygen combined firing ... this Kyusu really demonstrates this technique. I can see the turbulence where the oxygen teases the reduction along the edge of the red zone.

The lid opening on this one is rather small, but this is a reality of a taller style Kyusu. However, it cleans easily. It has a smaller ball screen which I have not really had any problems with, partly due to the taller style.

Yesterday, it brewed up a truly spectacular round of Uji Special Edition asamushi ... it was one of those sessions where you want to say, "BAM" because you nailed it.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Feb 10th, '14, 05:22

by Stentor » Feb 10th, '14, 05:22

That one is absolutely amazing, Chip.

Feb 10th, '14, 09:29

by Teaism » Feb 10th, '14, 09:29

Nice one Chip. I am a fan of Yohei but that one I really fell in love is sitting in my friend's living room. Have been stalking Yohei and hopefully grab one nice in future.
In the meatime, I am happy with the few Kyushu from Toju, Tokuju, S Ken etc.

This is the Hokuju piece which I currently enjoy using.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (26.62 KiB) Viewed 1484 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (22.94 KiB) Viewed 1484 times
www.teaism99.com

+ Post Reply