Anyone ever tried Lin's Ceramics Kettle & Stove?


Discussion on virtually any teaware related item.

Anyone ever tried Lin's Ceramics Kettle & Stove?

Postby Ratbert » Feb 10th, '14, 21:50

I've been rather interested to get a kettle & stove combo from Lin's Ceramics since the first time i've seen it in some shops here.

But information about them online seem to be rather scarce. Has any one ever owned/used one? would like some feedback or comments about them. Also if anyone knows how they perform next to a Tetsubin, that would be good to know too.

The type i am looking at getting looks like this :
http://www.aurlia.com.tw/upload/A03J10000-1S.JPG

It feels like rock or very coarse sandpaper on the surface, and the inside isn't glazed.

I'm heading to Taiwan end of March and am hoping to get a set in Taipei. :wink:
User avatar
Ratbert
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Jan 17th, '
Location: Petaling Jaya, Malaysia

Re: Anyone ever tried Lin's Ceramics Kettle & Stove?

Postby kyarazen » Feb 11th, '14, 12:08

paging teaism!! :P

he have had 6 pieces of the 1st gen purion kettle and a few pieces of the 2nd gen which he kindly gave me one

the picture you posted is the 2nd gen one.. it pours fantastically.. (a little obscene though) but albeit fragile if you are not careful with the spout

simply boiling tap water in the 2nd gen on the stove softens and sweetens the water. i find it a delight to use.

i've recently gone into a mini purion craze, buying purion pots.. purion mug.. purion cup etc.. just to do experiments together with normal ceramics and different yixing types.. :lol:

i'm in the opinion that the final redox state of purion ware is in the reduced state which could be good for water, and for heavily oxidized teas.



Ratbert wrote:I've been rather interested to get a kettle & stove combo from Lin's Ceramics since the first time i've seen it in some shops here.

But information about them online seem to be rather scarce. Has any one ever owned/used one? would like some feedback or comments about them. Also if anyone knows how they perform next to a Tetsubin, that would be good to know too.

The type i am looking at getting looks like this :
http://www.aurlia.com.tw/upload/A03J10000-1S.JPG

It feels like rock or very coarse sandpaper on the surface, and the inside isn't glazed.

I'm heading to Taiwan end of March and am hoping to get a set in Taipei. :wink:
User avatar
kyarazen
 
Posts: 567
Joined: Sep 2nd, '1
Location: in your tea closet

Re: Anyone ever tried Lin's Ceramics Kettle & Stove?

Postby wyardley » Feb 11th, '14, 12:31

I have them. The alcohol burner is more suitable for keeping the water warm than for boiling water. I would suggest the 1.5 L, vs. the smaller or larger model.
User avatar
wyardley
 
Posts: 1931
Joined: Jan 11th, '
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Anyone ever tried Lin's Ceramics Kettle & Stove?

Postby Teaism » Feb 11th, '14, 12:32

kyarazen wrote:paging teaism!! :P

he have had 6 pieces of the 1st gen purion kettle and a few pieces of the 2nd gen which he kindly gave me one

the picture you posted is the 2nd gen one.. it pours fantastically.. (a little obscene though) but albeit fragile if you are not careful with the spout

simply boiling tap water in the 2nd gen on the stove softens and sweetens the water. i find it a delight to use.



Aye aye...oops secret out again...I broke 2 of them...left them on burning stove and went out shopping.... :lol:
Anyway, I like the older purion pots as they have more character and natural. The newer ones somehow are too perfect in term of the texture of the clay. However both Purion, old and new, makes the water sweeter. Even for daily drinking water, I boil them with Purion. Yeahs purion craze....I have the full collection of it, including the tray, burner, teapots, etcetera..my curiosity really makes me crazy. :lol:

Ratbert, you can buy them from Purple Cane outlets. Shaw Parade HQ has most of the models.
User avatar
Teaism
 
Posts: 662
Joined: Jan 5th, '1

Re: Anyone ever tried Lin's Ceramics Kettle & Stove?

Postby Ratbert » Feb 11th, '14, 12:44

hehehe, Teaism, sth tells me u are from Malaysia as well...

Yeah i've seen them at Purple Cane, there's one branch in the mall near where i live... and they still have the beige-ish ones that are really coarse. am looking at the medium sized one.

am tempted to just grab it from here since i already like it... but wondering if i'll get a better deal in Taipei... and at the same time worried that they won't have the one i'm looking for in TPE...

Then again, i could just grab the one here, AND get sth from Lin's Ceramics Taipei store! :twisted:
User avatar
Ratbert
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Jan 17th, '
Location: Petaling Jaya, Malaysia

Re: Anyone ever tried Lin's Ceramics Kettle & Stove?

Postby Drax » Feb 11th, '14, 13:11

Teaism wrote:
kyarazen wrote:paging teaism!! :P

he have had 6 pieces of the 1st gen purion kettle and a few pieces of the 2nd gen which he kindly gave me one

the picture you posted is the 2nd gen one.. it pours fantastically.. (a little obscene though) but albeit fragile if you are not careful with the spout

simply boiling tap water in the 2nd gen on the stove softens and sweetens the water. i find it a delight to use.



Aye aye...oops secret out again...I broke 2 of them...left them on burning stove and went out shopping.... :lol:


:lol: So when you said that he had "6 pieces of the 1st gen purion kettle," is that a kettle in 6 different (broken) pieces? :lol: just teasing....
User avatar
Drax
 
Posts: 2556
Joined: Oct 16th, '
Location: Arlington, VA

Re: Anyone ever tried Lin's Ceramics Kettle & Stove?

Postby Teaism » Feb 11th, '14, 21:28

Drax wrote:
:lol: So when you said that he had "6 pieces of the 1st gen purion kettle," is that a kettle in 6 different (broken) pieces? :lol: just teasing....



Oops ...another secret out :lol:
User avatar
Teaism
 
Posts: 662
Joined: Jan 5th, '1

Re: Anyone ever tried Lin's Ceramics Kettle & Stove?

Postby Teaism » Feb 11th, '14, 21:46

Ratbert wrote:
am tempted to just grab it from here since i already like it... but wondering if i'll get a better deal in Taipei... and at the same time worried that they won't have the one i'm looking for in TPE...

Then again, i could just grab the one here, AND get sth from Lin's Ceramics Taipei store! :twisted:


Not necessarily cheaper in Taipei but you get a better range. I always look for the year of production indicated at the back of the pots and go for the earlier pieces. In Taipei you have better choices. There are 2 shops in Yingge, a place you should go for teawares. One of the place that make me go crazy. If you transit in HK, Lau Fatt Yau carry Lin Ceramic stuff too. I travel to Malaysia, HK,Taiwan and China often to savor the tea cultures.

Purple Cane in Malaysia used to have a lot of old pieces, but most of them are gone. The new ones are not too bad either.
User avatar
Teaism
 
Posts: 662
Joined: Jan 5th, '1


Instant Messenger

Permissions
You cannot post new topics
You cannot reply to topics
You cannot edit your posts
You cannot delete your posts
You cannot post attachments
Navigation