Best grocery store green?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Feb 15th, '14, 09:57

Best grocery store green?

by Ramsay » Feb 15th, '14, 09:57

OK, I realize that grocery store teas pale in comparison to quality loose leaf teas, but my most recent order from Japan never arrived and I need something to drink until I can get some more. I don' t want flavored or blended teas, just some decent Japanese or Chinese tea to drink for a couple of weeks. Thanks

Feb 15th, '14, 11:14
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Best grocery store green?

by Chip » Feb 15th, '14, 11:14

... pm'ed you.

... hrmmm ... good luck. Nothing around here that I would even consider swallowing in the realm of greens.

You might find some Rishi if you have a whole foods type of store. If I was desperate, maybe I would drive 40-50 miles to a Wegman's ... they can have drinkable greens.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Feb 15th, '14, 12:06

by debunix » Feb 15th, '14, 12:06

+1 for Rishi.

Also, a friend at work occasionally shares her Te teas with me, and they're generally quite drinkable.

Feb 15th, '14, 20:05

by toasterburn » Feb 15th, '14, 20:05

The Tazo Green Ginger is the only one that tastes halfway decent to me.

Feb 15th, '14, 20:25

by Ramsay » Feb 15th, '14, 20:25

Chip wrote:... pm'ed you.

... hrmmm ... good luck. Nothing around here that I would even consider swallowing in the realm of greens.

You might find some Rishi if you have a whole foods type of store. If I was desperate, maybe I would drive 40-50 miles to a Wegman's ... they can have drinkable greens.
Chip - PM'd you back. Thanks

Feb 15th, '14, 20:32

by chingwa » Feb 15th, '14, 20:32

I'll have Tazo China Green tips if I find myself (really really) desperate... or perhaps the bottled ito en brands (tea's tea, or Oi Ocha)... but more often I'll just take the opportunity to enjoy some different kind of drink until the real tea arrives :D

Feb 15th, '14, 21:30

by ClarG » Feb 15th, '14, 21:30

Stash tea either their premium green tea, or organic green tea. Both are grown in Brasil.

If you live near an Asian market, or Asian supermarket they may sell Yamomotoyama brand green tea, and other brands of loose green tea from Japan or S. Korea. I have also found loose oolong tea from Taiwan at Asian markets and Asian supermarkets.

Feb 15th, '14, 21:53

by Chip » Feb 15th, '14, 21:53

ClarG wrote:Stash tea either their premium green tea, or organic green tea. Both are grown in Brasil.

If you live near an Asian market, or Asian supermarket they may sell Yamomotoyama brand green tea, and other brands of loose green tea from Japan or S. Korea. I have also found loose oolong tea from Taiwan at Asian markets and Asian supermarkets.
Yamamotoyama owns Stash and their Japanese tea is also grown in Brazil. Good luck finding this info though ...

Feb 15th, '14, 22:50

by ClarG » Feb 15th, '14, 22:50

Chip wrote:
ClarG wrote:Stash tea either their premium green tea, or organic green tea. Both are grown in Brasil.

Yamamotoyama owns Stash and their Japanese tea is also grown in Brazil. Good luck finding this info though ...
Yes I wrote to the "contact us" customer service on Yamamotoyama's website asking them which of their green teas they sell are composed of fully Brasilian grown green tea, and which ones are actual Japanese tea and I never got any reply.

The Kukicha green tea I drank tonight is by Yamamotoyama so maybe it was grown in Brasil? I bought 3 boxes of it because it was on sale at a local store and very cheap.

Feb 18th, '14, 09:13

by MEversbergII » Feb 18th, '14, 09:13

The Stash brand Premium Green Tea was so awful last time I had it that I think I might have lost a few brain cells.

Yamamotoyama is "ok". Their hojicha tends to be a bit deeply roasted but their genmaicha isn't too bad.

M.

Feb 19th, '14, 02:38

by ClarG » Feb 19th, '14, 02:38

ClarG wrote:
Chip wrote:

Yes I wrote to the "contact us" customer service on Yamamotoyama's website asking them which of their green teas they sell are composed of fully Brasilian grown green tea, and which ones are actual Japanese tea and I never got any reply.

The Kukicha green tea I drank tonight is by Yamamotoyama so maybe it was grown in Brasil? I bought 3 boxes of it because it was on sale at a local store and very cheap.
OK here's an update I actually did get a reply to the email I sent asking which teas are purely Japanese, which ones are Brasilian, and which ones are a mixture:

Thank you for your interest in Yamamotoyama Green Tea products.

Majority of our Sencha green tea products are blend of teas grown in Brazil, Japan and China (sometimes).
Currently, our regular organic green tea products are very likely made with 100% Brazilian green teas.

Sincerely,

Yamamotoyama of America
Customer Service

Feb 19th, '14, 13:41

by Chip » Feb 19th, '14, 13:41

:roll:

I do not insert many eye rollers ... but I will here.

That is the "stupidest" answer from a grower (and they are even if they are indirectly, but I suspect they are integrally involved in the growing)/vendor I have ever heard. They know the answer, but choose to answer mysteriously, noncommittally.

I choose NOT to give this company any of my TeaBucks, and this extends to their Stash brand as well.

+ Post Reply