Feb 18th, '14, 12:22

Re: More or less the same Xishi Zhu Ni but different prices?

by 茶藝-TeaArt08 » Feb 18th, '14, 12:22

VanFersen,

I don't know if you saw this one yet on Life In Teacup's site: (Yixing Teapot Di Cao Qing Xi Shi, $120. product#xppot2, https://picasaweb.google.com/1079412429 ... mlDcqXiShi). It's a 100ml and looks like a nice little pot. She is a member here and you can also send her a personal message to see if she has any other pots that she has not put up on her site yet.

Also, they are not Yixing, but Hojo just released a bunch of his newer Kobiwako clay pots (that have been positively received here on TeaChat; Chip and a few others have posted their comments on the clay within the forum). The new kobiwako teapots are in a similar, xishi style; scroll down and you'll see them: (http://hojotea.com/item_e/available.htm).

Blessings!

Feb 19th, '14, 03:40

by Tead Off » Feb 19th, '14, 03:40

I think these are poor copies of Xishi style. No grace to these.

Feb 19th, '14, 03:54
Scrolling: scrolling

by the_economist » Feb 19th, '14, 03:54

Do you own a few with grace? Would love to see! :D
“A cup of tea would restore my normality.”
- Douglas Adams

Feb 19th, '14, 03:57

by NPE » Feb 19th, '14, 03:57

Tead Off wrote:I think these are poor copies of Xishi style. No grace to these.
Well, call me an enjoyer of graceless teapots: I have a lot of fun and great tea with the one from Life in Teacup and I have K227b from Hojo currently making its way to me.

A variation on a common theme does not always have to be bad - I can enjoy both Tom Waits' as well as Tori Amos' interpretation of 'Time' :D

Feb 19th, '14, 04:01

by Tead Off » Feb 19th, '14, 04:01

NPE wrote:
Well, call me an enjoyer of graceless teapots: I have a lot of fun and great tea with the one from Life in Teacup and I have K227b from Hojo currently making its way to me.

A variation on a common theme does not always have to be bad - I can enjoy both Tom Waits' as well as Tori Amos' interpretation of 'Time' :D
was talking about the Japanese copies, not Gingko's. The clay may be very nice for tea. It's just a personal opinion, but well made Xishi have a lot of grace and style. I don't find that in these Japanese ones. Not beautiful. Just my taste, nothing personal. Actually, it's all personal. :D

Feb 19th, '14, 04:12

by 茶藝-TeaArt08 » Feb 19th, '14, 04:12

TeadOff,

By "these" are you referring to both Hojo's new pots and Gingko's offering or only to the Hojo pots? If referring to Hojo's new xishi-like pots, I agree that they lack a grace; I was disappointed when I saw them because I'd prefer to order a small back-handled pot instead of a kyusu to try out this clay; though to me the pot bodies show a possibility of promise. However, I am certainly not going to assume that someone else may not take to them, subjectivity being what it is. The Kobiwako clay seems to be getting good responses and it would have been nice if the xishi-like pots would have (for my own tastes) come out better. Hojo has lowered the price on a few because some didn't meet his expectation either but he noted that this was just his personal aesthetic. For my own tastes, I generally don't prefer the style of xishi pots, nor the bright red finish, in this thread anyways (though I like Life In Teacup's xishi offering best); to me the handle often looks upside down on this style of pot when it is not shaped and placed proportionally well and having the bottom of the handle be almost even with the base of the pot (as it is on Hojo's offerings) is problematic if one wants to use a shallow bowl without a pedestal as a teaboat for their pour. My intention is merely to share some options for what is out there.

Blessings!

Feb 19th, '14, 04:14

by 茶藝-TeaArt08 » Feb 19th, '14, 04:14

TeadOff,

Must have been typing my response while you placed yours. :lol: Yes, I see.

Blessings!

Feb 19th, '14, 04:27

by 茶藝-TeaArt08 » Feb 19th, '14, 04:27

NPE wrote:
NPE...haha...this got me laughing :lol: .

Indeed. I am considering buying one of the top three Kobi pots in the other style, not the xishi one. Do you already own a Kobiwako pot? If so, I'm curious to hear how you like it. If not, I look forward to hearing your response when you're new "graceless pot" :wink: arrives.

Blessings!

Feb 19th, '14, 04:28

by NPE » Feb 19th, '14, 04:28

Hehe, I guess I am lucky that I have a choice of beautiful teaboats from Petr and Andrzej as my 'attack base' - no handle issues with the Kobiwako teapot there, I hope. :lol:
And yes - completely and utterly personally, I find K227b very appealing, what with the short spout. And to me, the handle looks just right - but that is why I have chosen that particular Kobiwako and not another one. :wink:

I am extremely curious about the magical impact of the Kobiwako on the taste of the tea, though, after all these praises from other TC'ers! This is also my first so I am keeping my fingers crossed (hopefully that will not adversely affect my typing skills too much).

Feb 19th, '14, 04:33

by NPE » Feb 19th, '14, 04:33

茶藝-TeaArt08 wrote: Indeed. I am considering buying one of the top three Kobi pots in the other style, not the xishi one. Do you already own a Kobiwako pot? If so, I'm curious to hear how you like it. If not, I look forward to hearing your response when you're new "graceless pot" :wink: arrives.

Blessings!
Ahh, I think Hojo is brainwashing us all :lol:

I also really like the hohin's but the Xishi-esque has that little bit extra that made me part with my money.
My Sencha is trembling with anticipation already, that's for sure!
I will certainly post an update once the pot has gone for a first 'spin'. I just hope that I will be as full of praise as the rest!

Feb 19th, '14, 04:41

by Teaism » Feb 19th, '14, 04:41

I am a great fan of Xishi. Not only it is versatile and it can also perform very well when comes to brewing tea. It is my personal taste, maybe my taste is weird but I like it. :D

Attached is a Xishi that I enjoyed using for many years.
Attachments
Xishi.jpg
Xishi.jpg (11.38 KiB) Viewed 831 times
www.teaism99.com

Feb 19th, '14, 04:45

by 茶藝-TeaArt08 » Feb 19th, '14, 04:45

NPE,

I just scrolled back through the Hojo, Kobiwako, xishi listings with a more attentive eye and would have to agree that you picked the best, in my opinion. I like the stubby spout (seems the stubbiest of all the options listed) and that your pot handle has a rounder profile, that the top shoulder of the pot handle (seen from the side) doesn't drop off so dramatically. The handle on your pot also has a nice round thickness to it. The lid knob also looks like it is nicely sized, not too small, for plucking the lid to open the pot. Look forward to the first action shot!

Blessings!

Feb 19th, '14, 04:46

by Tead Off » Feb 19th, '14, 04:46

NPE wrote: Well, call me an enjoyer of graceless teapots: I have a lot of fun and great tea with the one from Life in Teacup and I have K227b from Hojo currently making its way to me.
I may have to call you that. That is one of the more tired looking saggy pots of the bunch. :lol: This would be a candidate for Bagua 7's hammer. :shock:

Feb 19th, '14, 05:03

by 茶藝-TeaArt08 » Feb 19th, '14, 05:03

Teaism wrote:I am a great fan of Xishi. Not only it is versatile and it can also perform very well when comes to brewing tea. It is my personal taste, maybe my taste is weird but I like it. :D

Attached is a Xishi that I enjoyed using for many years.
Teaism, that's a very nice piece! Yes, I prefer xishi with some "hips" and not the more ball-shaped, round ones earlier in this thread. Though I do like the one from Gingko.

This is my favorite pot, which also happens to be a xishi, 150ml, made of native Taiwan stone, and brews really wonderful tea:

Feb 19th, '14, 05:07

by Teaism » Feb 19th, '14, 05:07

TeaArt08,

WOOOW! Nice setting you have there! When are you you going to invite me over for tea? :D :wink:
www.teaism99.com

+ Post Reply