Recommend "Everyday" Sencha

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Feb 20th, '14, 09:47

Recommend "Everyday" Sencha

by Noonie » Feb 20th, '14, 09:47

I've been exploring the wonderful world of Sencha these last few months and I'm smitten. However, I'm finding that an order of 3 x 100g of tea, say from o-cha, with shipping, costs around $80 or higher. I would like to get my avg price per 100g with shipping down a bit...and I know you pay for what you get, but I'm hoping the quality I'm drinking will take a smaller hit than the bill. I'm thinking that tea isn't priced perfectly, and that there are good deals to be had with less expensive teas.

I've been buying some of the more expensive teas and have not tried any of the inexpensive ones. I thought if I were to list what I've tried (I like them all), I would get recommendations on what you think is a good, inexpensive tea. I've bought from, or looked at, the following vendors: O-Cha, Yukki, Dens, Ippodo.

These are the teas I've tried and enjoyed:
- Kagoshima Sencha Sae Midori
- Kagoshima Sencha Yutaka Midori
- Organic Sencha "Oku Yutaka"
- Uji Asamushi Sencha "Aoi"
- Uji Asamushi Sencha "Hana no Kaori"

Feb 20th, '14, 11:40

Re: Recommend "Everyday" Sencha

by Peacock » Feb 20th, '14, 11:40

http://www.thes-du-japon.com/index.php? ... cts_id=117

This fukamushi sencha from Teas of Japan is really good, and factoring in SAL shipping it comes to about $15.

Its one of my personal favorites.

Feb 20th, '14, 12:27
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Feb 20th, '14, 12:27

One solution that I often recommend when this comes up (and it often does on the forum) is to adjust the volume of water used to steep. This obviously means you use a lower amount of leaf based upon the ratio system which many of us incorporate. If you brew 1:1 (1 gram per 1 ounce or 30 ml) and you brew 4 ounces instead of 7 ounces, you substantially reduce the amount of leaf used w/o reducing the quality of the brew.

This then will give you more sessions per bag thus reducing the cost per session, per day, per month, etc.

By doing this you still drink the teas you enjoy.

After chasing the elusive cheaper teas for several years for the magical mix of great tea at a low price, I realized I was actually (or at least often) wasting money on these cheaper teas that I did not really enjoy ... and they would often sit ... and sit.

Also, often with the less expensive selections there is greater inconsistency.

A byproduct of this for me has been a greater appreciation of these selections.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Feb 20th, '14, 13:19

by Stentor » Feb 20th, '14, 13:19

Another good idea is to subscribe to your favorite vendor's e-mail newsletter or Facebook page to make sure you get notified when they have some of their teas on sale.
That way you can buy your favorite teas at a lower price. You mentioned some teas by O-Cha.com. O-Cha has at least one sale every year (usually before the new harvest). Also, Maiko has an annual sale (which is currently running) with very good discounts. Sure, you'll be buying last year's harvest, but it is not inferior in quality at all and will stay "fresh" for many months if left unopened. So don't be afraid to stock up on those "on sale" teas before the new harvest comes around.

Feb 20th, '14, 15:34

by Noonie » Feb 20th, '14, 15:34

Chip - I do this already. Thing is I sometimes only have time for one large cup of tea...I think at these times reaching for an everday sencha is a good call, whereas when I have time for 2-3 cups I reach for the good stuff. Also, now that I've had a variety of good sencha, I can try a less expensive one and compare (maybe to me it will be different, but still good?).

Stentor - thanks for the tip and comment about Maiko; I just ordered some from Maiko at 40% off.

Feb 20th, '14, 16:17

by ClarG » Feb 20th, '14, 16:17

Go to an Asian market or supermarket and buy sencha by Ito-en, Yamamotoyama, Maeda-en, or search on amazon for sencha and order from a different company. Costco also apparently sells sencha but it's by Ito-en. I have never had costco's sencha but one of my roommates has and he personally did not like it; but he tends to prefer black tea like Assam or pure ginger tea.

This is what I would do when I would want a less expensive everyday sencha.

Feb 21st, '14, 00:27

by rdl » Feb 21st, '14, 00:27

Take a look at Zencha.net
http://zencha.net/products_yame.php
towards the bottom. The Sencha Moe is a nice everyday tea for the price (including shipping). "All teas from Yame are mid steamed."
http://zencha.net/products_kagoshima.php
Or the Kagoshima Sencha Ten. Steaming: Medium.
You can find mention of Zencha.net's teas using TC search.

Feb 21st, '14, 09:02

by Stentor » Feb 21st, '14, 09:02

Noonie wrote:I sometimes only have time for one large cup of tea...I think at these times reaching for an everday sencha is a good call, whereas when I have time for 2-3 cups I reach for the good stuff.
What you can do is use the good stuff, but use as much leaf as you would if you were brewing a smaller cup, say 3 g of tea leaves and 3 oz of water, and make three consecutive brews and pour all of them in your large cup. You end up with 9 oz of tea and haven't "wasted" the good stuff by only brewing once.
Noonie wrote:Stentor - thanks for the tip and comment about Maiko; I just ordered some from Maiko at 40% off.
You're welcome. Enjoy. It's good stuff.

Feb 21st, '14, 11:14

by bambooforest » Feb 21st, '14, 11:14

http://hakoniwado.com/

The above shop has some very affordable teas.

Actually, I purchased all his teas except for the gyokuro, kuki-cha, and hoji-cha.

The five teas I ordered came to $86.17, and that's including shipping. I opted for SAL shipping which amounted to slightly less than 2 dollars per bag, and my order arrived in 11 days. Very pleased with that. And I love SAL shipping.

I've only tried 3 of his tea's so far:

http://hakoniwado.com/yame-organic-sencha-jas-certified

The above is probably the least expensive first flush sencha I've ever purchased. But at $9.70 and having had it a couple times already, I can say I find it worthwhile, and it doesn't have any undesirable roughness or off flavors. The flavor is mild, straightforward, and pure. It's also organic.

http://hakoniwado.com/tea/matcha

The above matcha is only $ 8.82, but I found it very good. I'm no matcha expert though, so my opinion isn't so reliable. But even after putting two nice size scoops into my chawan and not much water, it was delicious, slightly bitter, very green tasting.

I was given a sample of the following tea:

http://hakoniwado.com/tea/kukicha

At $6.37 for 100 grams, that's quite affordable. I found this kukicha to have a bright and enjoyable flavor.

+ Post Reply