Best way to make Jokyo Sencha or Jo Sencha?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Feb 25th, '14, 15:32

Best way to make Jokyo Sencha or Jo Sencha?

by ClarG » Feb 25th, '14, 15:32

I ordered some sencha with matcha from Ryu-mei tea co and I asked them what type of sencha it was and they said it was Jokyo Sencha. What is the best way to make this type of sencha?

Feb 25th, '14, 16:16
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Best way to make Jokyo Sencha or Jo Sencha?

by Chip » Feb 25th, '14, 16:16

From their site, jokyo page ...
Quantity Each cup 2.25 grams of tea per 6 ounces of water, or about 1 teaspoon of green tea.

Steeping Steeped 2 to 3 minutes.

Temperature Sencha Green teas should be prepared with 80°C to 90°C (180°F to 190°F) water. Noted that boiling water will rid of the Sencha leaves flavor and the tea will become overly astringent.

Water Mineral Water is highly recommended. Hard water will result in a flat taste while distilled water without any mineral will brew a tasteless tea. It is best to brew the tea only 1 time.
It is second flush (June-August), so you should not expect miracles. But hopefully it will deliver one decent steep.

The ratio is really low, but they steep it long ... so I guess it is a wash.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Feb 25th, '14, 16:33

by ClarG » Feb 25th, '14, 16:33

OK so I shouldn't steep it for 60-120 seconds the way you normally would with a sencha? Why not? I am OK with 2nd flush teas.

Feb 25th, '14, 18:07
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Feb 25th, '14, 18:07

ClarG wrote:OK so I shouldn't steep it for 60-120 seconds the way you normally would with a sencha? Why not? I am OK with 2nd flush teas.
I posted the directions from the seller's site. I never had it.

It seems to me that they are leaning more towards a Western style brewing (much less leaf and longer brewing) for 2nd flush which actually makes sense to me. I do not think you would want an uber strength second flush first steep as this would perhaps bring out the faults or weaknesses of the selection.

EDIT: Plus it is really rather pointless to attempt a lengthy session of 3, 4, 5 or more steeps of a second flush. It can be done, but it is not a sencha that would lend itself to a lengthy and focused session ... instead a more casual brew.
blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Mar 1st, '14, 16:44

by ClarG » Mar 1st, '14, 16:44

I made the sencha with the matcha and I enjoy it a lot. I make two cups, or two steepings of the tea. It is excellent in the afternoon or early evening, as I drink black tea in the morning when I wake up. I also like how this tea was not overly expensive both with the price and shipping, and it is a lot better than the Stash organic sencha tea I had before or the Asian grocery store sencha sold by Japanese brands like Ito-en or Maeda-en.

+ Post Reply