Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Mar 5th, '14, 17:53

Re: Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

by JRS22 » Mar 5th, '14, 17:53

I'm enjoying some genmaicha with matcha in my Kim Eung Chul copper glazed pot and Shyrabbit cup while thinking about my teaware buying spree. I was in Manhattan yesterday and as I went from one destination to another I passed stores selling art supplies, Bose Audio eqpt, kitchen eqpt, as well as the usual clothing, makeup and jewelry. Never did I experience the slightest tremors of shopping desire. Then I got home, checked in on TeaChat, and within an hour I had purchased a crystal teacup from Shawn as well as a Seong-il teapot, teacup and server in his red copper glaze. Time to get out the bubble wrap and put my factory made Teaware in storage. But first, a few more steeps of genmaicha.

Mar 5th, '14, 22:18

by davidglass » Mar 5th, '14, 22:18

Hi Chip.
How cool do you brew the Sae Midori? I remember that mine tasted like gyokuro last time.

Mar 5th, '14, 22:27
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Mar 5th, '14, 22:27

davidglass wrote:Hi Chip.
How cool do you brew the Sae Midori? I remember that mine tasted like gyokuro last time.
I have brewed it in the range of 145-160* F. Just this 15 degree swing brings out several completely different nuances or even profiles. At the cool end it is a lot of sweet and umami and at the high end it is veggie and soupy. Both ends very good as well as any point in between. It is a fun tea to brew since you can play with it and have positive results just about every time.

Mar 5th, '14, 22:30

by Chip » Mar 5th, '14, 22:30

JRS22 wrote:I'm enjoying some genmaicha with matcha in my Kim Eung Chul copper glazed pot and Shyrabbit cup while thinking about my teaware buying spree. I was in Manhattan yesterday and as I went from one destination to another I passed stores selling art supplies, Bose Audio eqpt, kitchen eqpt, as well as the usual clothing, makeup and jewelry. Never did I experience the slightest tremors of shopping desire. Then I got home, checked in on TeaChat, and within an hour I had purchased a crystal teacup from Shawn as well as a Seong-il teapot, teacup and server in his red copper glaze. Time to get out the bubble wrap and put my factory made Teaware in storage. But first, a few more steeps of genmaicha.
I am going through teaware these days ... decisions to make on early purchases mostly. :mrgreen:

Mar 6th, '14, 17:55

by JRS22 » Mar 6th, '14, 17:55

Chip wrote:I am going through teaware these days ... decisions to make on early purchases mostly. :mrgreen:
All my early purchases were factory-made. I've just got a few pieces of Japanese Teaware I assume were factory-made that I use regularly, such as my gyokuro set from O-Cha. Once I discovered Teaware Artisans I saw no reason to buy anything else. Of course my tea ware collection is dwarfed by yours, but there's a limit to what I can fit into my tiny urban home.

Today I'm enjoying a long session of O-Cha Karigane Sencha Otsuusan brewed in a Seong-il onggi hobin and thinking about the new pieces that will join them soon. Somehow this particular tea tastes best in this pot, which is unglazed on the inside.

Mar 6th, '14, 18:18

by Chip » Mar 6th, '14, 18:18

JRS22 wrote: Today I'm enjoying a long session of O-Cha Karigane Sencha Otsuusan brewed in a Seong-il onggi hobin and thinking about the new pieces that will join them soon. Somehow this particular tea tastes best in this pot, which is unglazed on the inside.

His (not so long) lost identical twin is here ... they should have a reunion one day! Some good Gyokuro would have to be brewed.

Mar 6th, '14, 19:24

by debunix » Mar 6th, '14, 19:24

How big is that adorable hohin? There's nothing in the photo that gives a clear scale, but I'm guessing 100mL or less?

Mar 6th, '14, 19:27

by Chip » Mar 6th, '14, 19:27

I have never measured the capacity, however I would say less than 100ml.

Mar 6th, '14, 20:20

by JRS22 » Mar 6th, '14, 20:20

The cup was made for the hobin so they just look right together. I measured mine at 100 mls but I'm on the lookout for a more accurate measuring cup. I want one that measures mls to the nearest 5 and then I'll update my Teaware database. My Pyrex cup just does the nearest 25.

I haven't thought to use this for gyo, but I still have some gyo Yame I can experiment with.

Mar 7th, '14, 12:35

by Chip » Mar 7th, '14, 12:35

Chip wrote:
Noonie wrote:
Chip wrote:I have been brewing this Sae Midori ... rich.

1.25 grams per 1 ounce (30 ml) ... sometimes a higher ratio.
150* (65* C)
60ish seconds

Successive steeps, increasing temp. 15-30 seconds for second and increase for successive steeps.
Wow, very different from my brewing, I'll have to give yours a shot.

I'm brewing just under 300ml, so that would mean using close to 10 grams of leaf :o I already find it strong enough, not sure this would work with my palate (granted, I would brew at a lower temp as you are...but when I use a larger volume of water I like it a little warmer, as it takes time to sip it and I don't like it too cold). Alternatively, I could brew 1/2 the volume and thus use 1/2 the leaf...will have to give it a shot when I open my next/last bag of this tea.
I usually brew 4-5 ounces (120-150 ml) +/- ... so that makes a huge difference in more ways than the simple obvious ... less liquid and less tea leaf used.

The water cools much faster when brewing a smaller volume which can dramatically impact the brewing results.

I also tend to become more focused versus when brewing a lot of liquid and thus the more concentrated brewing technique.

I sometimes go even cooler as I increase the leaf for this Sae Midori ... it can come out a lot like Gyokuro, nice and deep and sweet ... lovely ... in fact, some call this cultivar a "natural gyokuro"" even though it is grown like sencha.
Sorry for quoting myself ... but I opened the second half of the bag of Sae Midori from O-Cha today. I had opened the original 100 gram bag several months ago, but this second half of a 100 gram bag (50 grams), as is my norm, was placed into a separate zip foil bag and placed in cold storage.

I have to say, the first attempt came out as good as when I opened the original bag, really outstanding.

I brewed at 1.25:1 at a touch under 150* F (under 65* C). And then accidently brewed it longer than I wanted, 75 seconds.

Came out sweet, rich, and strong ... potent. Not bitter.

Mar 9th, '14, 21:59

by Peacock » Mar 9th, '14, 21:59

Organic Yame sencha from Hakoniwado. Very lively and nutty like almonds. And at 900 yen it is a steal.

Mar 10th, '14, 09:49

by Noonie » Mar 10th, '14, 09:49

Chip wrote:Sorry for quoting myself ... but I opened the second half of the bag of Sae Midori from O-Cha today. I had opened the original 100 gram bag several months ago, but this second half of a 100 gram bag (50 grams), as is my norm, was placed into a separate zip foil bag and placed in cold storage.

I have to say, the first attempt came out as good as when I opened the original bag, really outstanding.

I brewed at 1.25:1 at a touch under 150* F (under 65* C). And then accidently brewed it longer than I wanted, 75 seconds.

Chip - I like the idea of storing 50g for later, to keep it fresher. When you say cold storage, do you mean a fridge, cold cellar or other cool, dark place?

Mar 10th, '14, 13:47

by Alex » Mar 10th, '14, 13:47

Chip wrote:
Chip wrote:
Noonie wrote:

150* (65* C)
60ish seconds

Successive steeps, increasing temp. 15-30 seconds for second and increase for successive steeps.

I'm brewing just under 300ml, so that would mean using close to 10 grams of leaf :o I already find it strong enough, not sure this would work with my palate (granted, I would brew at a lower temp as you are...but when I use a larger volume of water I like it a little warmer, as it takes time to sip it and I don't like it too cold). Alternatively, I could brew 1/2 the volume and thus use 1/2 the leaf...will have to give it a shot when I open my next/last bag of this tea.
I usually brew 4-5 ounces (120-150 ml) +/- ... so that makes a huge difference in more ways than the simple obvious ... less liquid and less tea leaf used.

The water cools much faster when brewing a smaller volume which can dramatically impact the brewing results.

I also tend to become more focused versus when brewing a lot of liquid and thus the more concentrated brewing technique.

I sometimes go even cooler as I increase the leaf for this Sae Midori ... it can come out a lot like Gyokuro, nice and deep and sweet ... lovely ... in fact, some call this cultivar a "natural gyokuro"" even though it is grown like sencha.
Sorry for quoting myself ... but I opened the second half of the bag of Sae Midori from O-Cha today. I had opened the original 100 gram bag several months ago, but this second half of a 100 gram bag (50 grams), as is my norm, was placed into a separate zip foil bag and placed in cold storage.

I rarely brew any of my sencha over 65c these day and love it around 60-63c really deep and sweet :D

Mar 10th, '14, 14:17

by Chip » Mar 10th, '14, 14:17

Noonie wrote:
Chip wrote:Sorry for quoting myself ... but I opened the second half of the bag of Sae Midori from O-Cha today. I had opened the original 100 gram bag several months ago, but this second half of a 100 gram bag (50 grams), as is my norm, was placed into a separate zip foil bag and placed in cold storage.

Chip - I like the idea of storing 50g for later, to keep it fresher. When you say cold storage, do you mean a fridge, cold cellar or other cool, dark place?
I should say that this is "risky business!" Many drinkers and vendors will go so far as to say, "do not cold store opened tea." There is a degree of wisdom in this ... however with care, this can be a very successful way of extending the best days of opened sencha.

I am referring to cold storing in a fridge ... I have a TeaFridge which is simply a small cube fridge dedicated to tea. This eliminates offensive odors which can be especially worrisome for opened sencha. I DO place the 50 grams into a foil lined zip seal bag and gently remove as much air as possible. I then place this bag into a heavy duty ziplock back for a bit of added protection.

When removing from cold storage, as one should anytime removing tea from cold to a warm room, I allow it warm to room temperature before opening. Opening it too soon can really ruin the tea as moist warm air can rush in and condense on the very leaves you have painstakingly cared for to that point.

... and that is about it. :mrgreen:

Mar 10th, '14, 14:26

by Chip » Mar 10th, '14, 14:26

WARNING: topic tunnel ahead! :lol:
Alex wrote:
Chip wrote:
Chip wrote:
Noonie wrote:

150* (65* C)
60ish seconds

I rarely brew any of my sencha over 65c these day and love it around 60-63c really deep and sweet :D
Likewise. I think about this often as I used to brew much hotter. I wonder if the sencha more recently available is somehow ... different. :mrgreen: I am somewhat serious about this.

I used to brew sencha at 160-165* F (71-74* C). Then 158-160*

I somehow transitioned without real conscious purpose or effort to 145-152* F (63-66* C). And occasionally cooler. Particularly for Yame selections it seems.

Somehow my old fave Yutaka Midori seems lost in the shuffle ... :shock:

+ Post Reply