New bag of yunnan jig, surprisingly different.

Fully oxidized tea leaves for a robust cup.

New bag of yunnan jig, surprisingly different.

Postby Arimal » Mar 9th, '14, 12:28

I've been drinking whole leaf for a few years now though I still consider myself something of a luddite on the finer details.

adagio's yunnan jig has been a favorite for a long time smooth peppery a touch of "honey-ness" and cheap enough I don't have to cringe every time I order a pound.

My most recent order of the good old jig was different, smells different in the bag(darker, earthier), taste different(the "pepper" flavor is much stronger and I find myself steeping for shorter periods), It caught me off guard, it's still a fine tea I'm enjoying daily but the difference to what I usually receive made me wonder.

Without rambling on any farther my question is this. Am I mistaken and maybe suffering from a changing palette or might there reason this bag is so different.
Arimal

Re: New bag of yunnan jig, surprisingly different.

Postby Joel Byron » Mar 9th, '14, 15:03

Teas can vary in taste because of weather conditions during the growing season. I would guess this is what you are experiencing. Either that, or your new bag is much fresher and the flavors are more intense.
Joel Byron

Re: New bag of yunnan jig, surprisingly different.

Postby Arimal » Mar 10th, '14, 15:42

Thanks for the reply that would make sense, I've been buying adagio's Jig for a couple years off and on and it's typically a consistent tea I can identify by aroma alone.
Arimal

Instant Messenger

Permissions