Yue Guang Bai (Moon light white)

White and yellow teas are among the most subtle.

Apr 14th, '13, 04:16

by SlientSipper » Apr 14th, '13, 04:16

I finished this not too long ago.
I like how it was astringent.
Had a very sharp finish to it too.

It got stale really really fast though.

Anyone else like this tea?

May 1st, '13, 06:54

Re: Yue Guang Bai (Moon light white)

by brunogm » May 1st, '13, 06:54

This is one of my favorite teas. But mine is not astringent or sharp in the finish at all. I find it very sweet and floral, with a light sugarcane syrup aftertaste.

I did a bit of googling for this tea. It appears it is not a white tea. Some people say it is a white tea, other say it is a green tea, yet other say it is a red tea. Actually, it is in a class of its own. Best description is probably "unfermented pu er".

Mar 9th, '14, 10:30

by Izcariel » Mar 9th, '14, 10:30

I know this is an old thread and maybe no one will answer but anyways: does anybody knows where can I buy a quality pu-ehr cake of Yue Guang Bai?
Thanks!!

Mar 9th, '14, 10:55

by JRS22 » Mar 9th, '14, 10:55

Izcariel wrote:I know this is an old thread and maybe no one will answer but anyways: does anybody knows where can I buy a quality pu-ehr cake of Yue Guang Bai?
Thanks!!
Have you tried posting in the puerh forum?

Mar 9th, '14, 12:04

by Izcariel » Mar 9th, '14, 12:04

I didnt know where to post because sometimes I see this tea listed as white, in other occasion as Pu ehr...and then I entered in this section of the forum and saw this thread :D

Mar 9th, '14, 17:57

by JRS22 » Mar 9th, '14, 17:57

I understand how confusing it can be sometimes to know where to post. I'm not at all an expert on puerh but I believe for the purposes of learning about sources of this kind of tea the issues of aging would trump the type of tea used for the cake.

Mar 10th, '14, 09:13

by kyarazen » Mar 10th, '14, 09:13

JRS22 wrote:I understand how confusing it can be sometimes to know where to post. I'm not at all an expert on puerh but I believe for the purposes of learning about sources of this kind of tea the issues of aging would trump the type of tea used for the cake.
i've some aged for about 6 almost 7 years probably already..

still interestingly drinkable. never astringent from the beginning, lost its grassyness but seems to be developing a grape-y fragrance.

however its still no guarantee that all YGB will age well since different factories and makers have different strategies in manufacturing the tea

Dec 7th, '14, 16:22

by mith242 » Dec 7th, '14, 16:22

I've never had the aged Moonlight white tea, but have had the regular loose leaf style. I like it quite a bit. From my perspective it's a white tea and processed similarly as other white teas. The reason it stands out compared to other white teas is that it's not from Fujian but Yunnan. It's also different from other white teas because it's from the assamica variety of tea where most teas from China are the sinesis variety. One of the biggest differences is because it's assamica the plant has bigger leaves that what you see in the sinesis white teas of Fujian. Because of this it produces a much darker looking tea. As far as aged white teas go I'm a bit new. I sometimes see some people advertise them as pu-ehr because they're aged teas. I think it just becomes complicated because not everyone always uses the same terms when it comes to teas. What westerners call black teas Chinese call red teas. What westerners call red teas is usually rooibos which is actually from a totally different plant.

+ Post Reply