NYC Chinatown Tea Stores

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Re: NYC Chinatown Tea Stores

Postby AllanK » Mar 11th, '14, 19:56

shah82 wrote:If you're willing to pay 50 cents a gram for Liu Bao, you certainly have options...

If I wasn't right there, I probably would never have bought it. There is a certain power to having the tea right in front of you that the internet can never match. There is just vastly more available on the internet.
AllanK

Postby teaformeplease » Mar 24th, '14, 21:12

I'm the manager of a traditional Chinese tea house in NYC that carries puerh. We're not in Chinatown but you can easily walk from there. We currently have 2 cooked and 12 raw. More will be coming when the owner gets back from China in mid-May. The menu only lists the whole cake price but we also sell by the ounce.

http://t-drunk.com/
teaformeplease

Postby AllanK » Mar 25th, '14, 07:23

teaformeplease wrote:I'm the manager of a traditional Chinese tea house in NYC that carries puerh. We're not in Chinatown but you can easily walk from there. We currently have 2 cooked and 12 raw. More will be coming when the owner gets back from China in mid-May. The menu only lists the whole cake price but we also sell by the ounce.

http://t-drunk.com/

Looks interesting. I will have to check this out the next time I get to NYC.
AllanK

Postby gasninja » Mar 25th, '14, 08:26

I will check it out in a couple weeks when im in the city.
gasninja

Postby MacGuffin » Mar 25th, '14, 13:45

MarshalN wrote:
AllanK wrote:
brandon wrote:Fang carries puer tea cakes.
Manhattan Chinatown is not good for buying tea seriously, but it might be fun to look anyway, for grins.

I do not agree that Manhattan is not good for buying tea seriously.

He said Manhattan Chinatown. I think for the stores you listed only TenRen and Sun's qualify as being in Chinatown - and I'd dispute that TenRen is a good place for tea, having no experience with Sun's

Agreed on all counts--unless one states otherwise, most people associate "NYC Chinatown" with lower Manhattan, even if "Manhattan" isn't specified (I remember when Flushing was predominantly Jewish and Jackson Heights was Colombian). I've gotten MUCH better tea online than Ten Ren's and despite its elegance, I didn't think Ito En was all that hot when it was open although it got major points for presentation and being able to buy small amounts. I had hoped that Fang would be at the Coffee and Tea Festival over the weekend, but they weren't. Had I not paid half-price admission and gotten a free goodie bag, I'd have felt cheated by the lack of serious tea there.
MacGuffin

Previous

Instant Messenger

Permissions