Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Mar 16th, '14, 01:20

Re: Official what Oolong are You Drinking Right Now?

by 茶藝-TeaArt08 » Mar 16th, '14, 01:20

Rich, pre-spring day! After a creekside bike ride with my wife and son among blooming mustard flowers and bright fruit tree blossoms we return home. My wife and I sit for a focused time of tea while our son naps, both of us really present to one another and the space. We start with Tie Guan Yin in a Petr Novak kyusu and cups and finish with a really excellent Teance, Spring 2013, Phoenix Single Grove Eight Immortals wulong in Petr Novak shib and Greenwood cups. For most of the pour neither of us talk and instead settle into a natural, quiet listening; acrid grass scents and blossom pollen slip in through the open tea room window, accompanied by cool air and bird sound, mixed with the playful noises of children further down the street.

Blessings!

Mar 18th, '14, 22:17

by Poseidon » Mar 18th, '14, 22:17

Got some tea in from mountiantea.com today. I was actually shipped someone's order and someone was shipped mine by accident. I called mountiantea to let them know about the mix up. I was told that they had already figured out what happened, reshipped my order, and to just keep the bag of high mountian oolong i got by mistake!! I've never had high mountian before so I immediately put some in my yixing and gong fu'd the hell out of it. This tea is deliciously complex with a sweet start for 4-5 infusions slightly getting astringent as you progress. Its pretty forgiving with temperatures and gave me a delicious vegital/slight umami nearly every time. Who knew a mix up could be such a great suprise!

Mar 19th, '14, 03:44
Scrolling: scrolling

Re:

by bliss » Mar 19th, '14, 03:44

Poseidon wrote:Got some tea in from mountiantea.com today. I was actually shipped someone's order and someone was shipped mine by accident. I called mountiantea to let them know about the mix up. I was told that they had already figured out what happened, reshipped my order, and to just keep the bag of high mountian oolong i got by mistake!! I've never had high mountian before so I immediately put some in my yixing and gong fu'd the hell out of it. This tea is deliciously complex with a sweet start for 4-5 infusions slightly getting astringent as you progress. Its pretty forgiving with temperatures and gave me a delicious vegital/slight umami nearly every time. Who knew a mix up could be such a great suprise!
Hah, seems like the universe had other plans for you! 8)

Mar 19th, '14, 09:05
Location: curled up with my cats, a good book, and a nice cup of tea

by Cinnamon » Mar 19th, '14, 09:05

What a pleasant surprise for you, Poseidon!

My usual go-to is Formosa Bai Hao from Adagio. If I can sip it all day at work, I consider it worth keeping on hand.

Mar 19th, '14, 16:19

by the_economist » Mar 19th, '14, 16:19

A little 'experiment' today: Two Rouguis, one stored in pewter, the other stored in a resealable bag. The one stored in pewter fared much better, retaining aroma, body, and flavors while the one in the bag became rather flat and even had a bitter note to it possibly due to the bag (it wasn't a very good bag).

Mar 19th, '14, 16:41

by William » Mar 19th, '14, 16:41

During this days ~ Dong Ding from early '80, Bao Zhong competition grade from this winter, various things from Alishan, Fushoushan, Longfengxia and some Bai Hao from early 90s.

Mar 20th, '14, 01:33

by 茶藝-TeaArt08 » Mar 20th, '14, 01:33

William wrote:During this days ~ Dong Ding from early '80, Bao Zhong competition grade from this winter, various things from Alishan, Fushoushan, Longfengxia and some Bai Hao from early 90s.
Sounds like some quality "days" to me! :D

Today I pour the Winter GaoShan recently brought back by our friend from Taiwan in a 120ml Petr Novak shib and matching cup. It's a quality sample of Winter GaoShan. I share the pour with my 4 year old son as we sit together over tea and connect in the tea room.

Mar 23rd, '14, 05:15

by Teaism » Mar 23rd, '14, 05:15

Drinking Dayuling now to take a break from tea...nice full body and sweet with mesmering aroma. Just got back from a travelling tea trip, drinking tea day and night for 6 days over 100 types of tea...the first time I got "almost" tea drunk after day 4. :lol:
Need a "Reset" and a nice Dayuling to mellow down. :D

Cheers! :D
Attachments
DYLing.jpg
DYLing.jpg (11.57 KiB) Viewed 2025 times

Mar 23rd, '14, 16:32

by debunix » Mar 23rd, '14, 16:32

Having some traditional roast TGY from Norbu, brewed up in my Seong Il pot and enjoying it from my TC TA SO scallop yunomi from Split Fire pottery--looking forward to seeing Bill's next firing. This cup has worked it's way to the forefront of a somewhat crowded collection, being versatile enough for dual duty with non-tea beverages as well as today's TGY duty.

Mar 24th, '14, 08:36

by Poseidon » Mar 24th, '14, 08:36

This morning a little extra time before work to try out one of the tea's I got Friday in the mail. I decided to try a chunk off of the Bai Hao (Oriental Beauty) Cake Oolong. This Oolong was completely different than what I have tried in the past. It had a different flavor than anything else I've tried. For some reason it reminded me of a weak puerh which is fine because puerh upsets my stomach, so far this one hasn't.

The body was thick and had a nice mouth-feel that coated your tongue like honey. The flavor was fruity, maybe leaning towards apricots or something similar with a touch of honey coming through.

It is certainly something that I want to experience a few more times before I decide if this is a tea to keep around.

Brewing: 150ml Yixing pot, 5g of leaf, ~195* water. 30-45-30-45 secong steeps.
Last edited by Poseidon on Mar 24th, '14, 10:06, edited 1 time in total.

Mar 24th, '14, 09:52
Vendor Member

by ethan » Mar 24th, '14, 09:52

Poseidon? Is that Oriental Beauty cake from Mountain Tea? Sounds good.

Mar 24th, '14, 10:10

by Poseidon » Mar 24th, '14, 10:10

ethan wrote:Poseidon? Is that Oriental Beauty cake from Mountain Tea? Sounds good.
Yes it is. I do think it is a decent tea and it certianly has life. I did 6 infusions before I had to leave for work and im positive it could have gone longer. It had an Amber color that came out in later infusions similar to an Amber beer. Im excited to see how many infusions this cake can do in the future.

Mar 24th, '14, 23:55

by CWarren » Mar 24th, '14, 23:55

EDITED
Last edited by CWarren on Feb 27th, '16, 01:30, edited 1 time in total.

Mar 25th, '14, 04:07

by bliss » Mar 25th, '14, 04:07

Grandpa brewing some "2013 Winter, Shan Lin Xi: Long-Feng-Xia" from Origin Tea at a client's office in Stockholm. Beautiful and gentle start to the day! :mrgreen:

Mar 25th, '14, 04:55

by Tead Off » Mar 25th, '14, 04:55

bliss wrote:Grandpa brewing some "2013 Winter, Shan Lin Xi: Long-Feng-Xia" from Origin Tea at a client's office in Stockholm. Beautiful and gentle start to the day! :mrgreen:
This is really excellent tea. I've been enjoying it, too, but in a small Yixing pot.

+ Post Reply