Official Pu of the day

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Mar 20th, '14, 14:09
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Official Pu of the day

by William » Mar 20th, '14, 14:09

kyarazen wrote:
ended the brew on the 20th brew, but decided that i shouldnt over-extract the tea so much
Hi kyarazen,
Can I ask you the reason for doing this?

Mar 20th, '14, 21:44

by kyarazen » Mar 20th, '14, 21:44

William wrote:
kyarazen wrote:
ended the brew on the 20th brew, but decided that i shouldnt over-extract the tea so much
Hi kyarazen,
tea is under 1%, maybe under 0.1% aromatics, 99%++ everything else, pigments, polyphenols, tannates etc. the latter compounds appear to have more health effects both negative and positive depending on body condition.

its controversial now though, people have been known to drink teas for days, countless brews etc, always pushing and always trying to get as much as they can get from the leaves..

its only with LBZ that i go for so many brews because of the quick steeps, if i had to increase the steep duration significantly during the end point i might just throw it out.

scientifically, tea is just like brewing an espresso, you need to know how much you should elute before whatever that comes out at the end, or from further elution, is just "rubbish". i wont buy jamaican blue mountain and brew it for 3 days, the most i'll pull is a cuppa.

Mar 20th, '14, 21:56

by Exempt » Mar 20th, '14, 21:56

kyarazen wrote:
William wrote:
kyarazen wrote:
Hi kyarazen,
people have been known to drink teas for days, countless brews etc, always pushing and always trying to get as much as they can get from the leaves..
This is how I am with every tea, especially the small amount of real LBZ I have. I try to get at least a week of brewing out of the 5-10 grams I use about once a year.

Mar 21st, '14, 07:04
Scrolling: scrolling

by William » Mar 21st, '14, 07:04

kyarazen wrote:
William wrote:
kyarazen wrote:
Hi kyarazen,
tea is under 1%, maybe under 0.1% aromatics, 99%++ everything else, pigments, polyphenols, tannates etc. the latter compounds appear to have more health effects both negative and positive depending on body condition.

its controversial now though, people have been known to drink teas for days, countless brews etc, always pushing and always trying to get as much as they can get from the leaves..

its only with LBZ that i go for so many brews because of the quick steeps, if i had to increase the steep duration significantly during the end point i might just throw it out.

scientifically, tea is just like brewing an espresso, you need to know how much you should elute before whatever that comes out at the end, or from further elution, is just "rubbish". i wont buy jamaican blue mountain and brew it for 3 days, the most i'll pull is a cuppa.
I usually push with brews, and until now, my body seems to have no problems. But usually, if the session exceeds the first day, however, does not go beyond the second (day).

Mar 22nd, '14, 01:00

by debunix » Mar 22nd, '14, 01:00

Still enjoying 2009 Lao Mansa from Norbu, in the translucent Greenwood Studios celadon cup, such a fun contrast with the rugged little treebark pot from Petr Novak.
tenuki wrote:
debunix wrote:Image
I wanna know more about that pot....

Here are a bunch of posts I've made that mention this pot or its sibling. They're from Petr Novak, and there is also a lot more about them in his Teaware Artisan thread. I find they do wonderful things with the teas I've assigned them--one to puerhs, one to traditional/dark roasted oolongs. They also smell amazing with a little tea splashed over them.

Mar 25th, '14, 22:47

by mr mopu » Mar 25th, '14, 22:47

Having a 2007 Changtai “lingbao” sheng from the Puerh shop tonight.
Starting this one out with 10 grams picked off the cake and into the yixing. I hit it with hot water for about 5 seconds and let it rest another 30 seconds to open up. The aroma of the wet leaves was almost like a damp forest floor. Like you would find in the woods after hiking through it after a rain shower. The first brew was about 10 seconds as I forgot to set the timer. It brews a nice dark golden color in the glass mug. It has a slight semblance of ’smokiness" to it but only briefly. This quickly turns into a pine and honey flavor. A touch of fleeting bitter and it is back to the honey. this is one of those teas that will make the tip of your tongue slightly numb and excite and tingle the middle part of it. it give the cooling effect after drinking it.
This is a nice enjoyable sheng to those who would like the slight smokiness similar to an aged Xiaguan tea. Very solid for the first cup and afford-ably priced for a whole cake.
Second steep smoke has subsided a bit . A little more bitter turning slightly sweet and the numbing punch is still there..

Mar 27th, '14, 22:28

by CWarren » Mar 27th, '14, 22:28

Edited
Last edited by CWarren on Apr 22nd, '14, 20:15, edited 1 time in total.

Mar 27th, '14, 23:23

by Puerlife » Mar 27th, '14, 23:23

20 infusions?! May I ask how many grams with how much water?
As for me, just when I thought I was through with shu I get a 2012 Dayi Golden Needle White Lotus in the mail. I'm drinking it now and am impressed. I suppose I should be for the price :lol: . It actually has a bit of qi, complexity, and some retro-olfaction (one vendor I know calls this the tea base - what phrase do you all use? Retro-olfaction sounds rather pendantic.)

Mar 27th, '14, 23:31

by CWarren » Mar 27th, '14, 23:31

Edited
Last edited by CWarren on Apr 22nd, '14, 20:16, edited 1 time in total.

Mar 29th, '14, 01:57

by Teaism » Mar 29th, '14, 01:57

Testing a Youle 2013 now with a new teapot. Nice, sweet, thick and highly aromatic. I have 2 tea gathering later today and just try it out before presenting to the group. Usually a group of us present a few of their best tea for tasting and sharing. The last gathering we had, it went to almost 3am! Another long day coming up. The other tea I would be brewing would be a 40years old Sheng...long night. :D

Cheers! :D

Mar 29th, '14, 09:50

by chrl42 » Mar 29th, '14, 09:50

Yibang Wild Gushu. Evenly looking leaves and many purpl-ish Ziya. I heard this one costs x3 than normal Yibangs. Clean cut and enhanced sweetness, with a hint of seaweed.

Yibang is that traditional Six Famous Mountain tributary place nearby Yiwu, where the major tea trees happen to be small-sized trees. Less stimulation but very clean.

Mar 29th, '14, 11:37

by fdrx » Mar 29th, '14, 11:37

Less stimulation but very clean.
Do you mean less cha qi? If yes, it's probably true for many of them but i've experienced very brutal and narcotic yibang, with shorter stimulation though

Mar 29th, '14, 22:01

by chrl42 » Mar 29th, '14, 22:01

fdrx wrote:
Less stimulation but very clean.
Do you mean less cha qi? If yes, it's probably true for many of them but i've experienced very brutal and narcotic yibang, with shorter stimulation though
This one by far is the least of that.

For me, 'Cha Qi' is one of attractions of Puerh, but I don't regard this to be the whole judgement of teas, Lao Man'E, DXS, Wuliang and others could easily top any of Yiwu stuff in this field..but that's just my opionion :P

Mar 30th, '14, 06:18

by Tead Off » Mar 30th, '14, 06:18

1997 Green Mark from Best Tea House. Dry leaf smell hints at smoke and is sweet. Liquor has some smoke after 2 extended rinses with shaking. Can detect some wet storage smell in the Yixing's lid but liquor is clean, giving a wet mouth-feel, a bit thick, and very smooth. This is an easy drinker and the huigan seems to get stronger as I progress through the brews. Some energy in the head. The smokiness receded after a few brews and was a non-factor by the 4/5th. This is a nice tea as it has been stored as dryly as possible in HK.

Mar 30th, '14, 18:57

by gasninja » Mar 30th, '14, 18:57

99 Fu hai Yi wu Green star/leaves I took advantage of Essence of teas re listing some cakes that had some bug damage from a few years ago at the same original price. The bugs / storage did do some damage making the first infusion funky and the second has a little storage taste. By the third The off taste was already history. I am hoping a few more years of airing out and the bug/storage funk will be history. If not given the price is about 25% of what they are retailing for everywhere else I can deal with tossing the first two infusions.
Last edited by gasninja on Apr 1st, '14, 07:45, edited 1 time in total.

+ Post Reply