Brew in bulk

For general/other topics related to tea.

Mar 24th, '14, 12:52

Brew in bulk

by MEversbergII » Mar 24th, '14, 12:52

Anathema! Heresy! Monstrous! Oh noes! :lol:

So my fiance and I have talked about some wedding details. We're still a long ways off, so I've got plenty of procrastination time.

She's not a tea person per se, but she likes the idea of having tea for the guests. Naturally, going and getting a large number of tea pots, kettles and the like is an invite for disaster so I'm looking for knowledge on brewing in bulk - specifically how good we can get away with. What works well and what doesn't, and what kind of devices are advisable and even what category of tea is a good shoot.

This would also be good for social gatherings in general...

Device I've considered is something like this: http://hotbeveragedispenser.net/wp-cont ... nser-4.jpg

But to my knowledge that just holds temperature - I'd still need something to brew such a quantity. One of my local takeout places serves shengcha in a hot container though so next time I go by I'll scout the type. I think it might be brewed right in.

It was also told to me by Leo at Tea Guardian that making a regular brew how we like it doesn't last well when held at temperature - mentioned in his "Tea in the Thermos" article. I'm thinking I might have to make it like I do when I take it on a Thermos, which gives me an indicator as to the styles (minhongs, roasted oolongs, shupuer's).

I've also considered blending up cool matcha (it'll be a summer wedding), but that sounds mega spendy...

What has been everyone else's experience?

M.

Mar 24th, '14, 15:05

Brew in bulk

by debunix » Mar 24th, '14, 15:05

Congrats on the wedding plans!

I do a lot of thermos brewing, and would be loth to try anything but a trusty shu pu or deep roast oolong, brewed in advance and held for the meal in giant thermoses. Too hard to imagine controlling brewing parameters for a large crowd unless there would be someone with lots of tea, some larger teapots, multiple kettles, doing nothing but brewing for the guests, to order.

Mar 24th, '14, 15:29

Re: Brew in bulk

by umijoshi » Mar 24th, '14, 15:29

I didn't read this guy Leo's article (yet), but I've found an unpleasant taste coming from my Thermos when I keep tea in there for a long time, so if that's what he's talking about it's probably warranted. From past experience, your best bet is to go with the thermos idea though. I've done tea for several weddings this way. Usually my team will prepare this tea shortly before it is to be served (30m prior) and keep it in a dispenser for the customer.

What's your wedding plan? Sit down course dinner followed by coffee/tea service? How many people? I'd imagine you plan to have alcohol there as well. Unless you make it a 'feature' I think you'll go through a lot less tea than you may expect (people will just keep drinking wine).

What we've done if it's a big tea drinking crowd is have a dispenser of black tea (it's the most commonly asked for) and make other teas on request. But this is the luxury of doing your wedding in an environment where there will be staff to serve for you.

Out of a 120 person wedding, around 10~15 people want tea, 40~70 want coffee, and the rest just want to drink.

Gimme some details, I'll fine tune my answer that way.

Mar 25th, '14, 10:06

Brew in bulk

by mcrdotcom » Mar 25th, '14, 10:06

MEversbergII wrote:Anathema! Heresy! Monstrous! Oh noes! :lol:

So my fiance and I have talked about some wedding details. We're still a long ways off, so I've got plenty of procrastination time.

She's not a tea person per se, but she likes the idea of having tea for the guests. Naturally, going and getting a large number of tea pots, kettles and the like is an invite for disaster so I'm looking for knowledge on brewing in bulk - specifically how good we can get away with. What works well and what doesn't, and what kind of devices are advisable and even what category of tea is a good shoot.
Invite lots of tea friends, sit one at each table and have a "bring your own kettle" kettle policy, they can brew the tea gongfu for the guests at their table! XD

Personally I would love that wedding! :P

Mar 25th, '14, 11:24

by MEversbergII » Mar 25th, '14, 11:24

Hah, I wish! I'm the only "tea person" I know. Everyone else...not so much.

It would be a small wedding, however, probably 20 people max I'd think.

M.

Mar 25th, '14, 12:13

by Poseidon » Mar 25th, '14, 12:13

I would put something generic in the despensing pot. Maybe hot water with a selection of high quality tea bag? Then have a pot for yourself to brew when you want/how you want. It would be a great excuse to buy a new pot for the "wedding". After all it is your wedding too!

Mar 25th, '14, 15:34

by miig » Mar 25th, '14, 15:34

You might want to ask Wu De. They serve larger groups very often, i'm sure he can give you some valuable hints on how you can get this done well.

Mar 25th, '14, 19:14

Brew in bulk

by mcrdotcom » Mar 25th, '14, 19:14

miig wrote:You might want to ask Wu De. They serve larger groups very often, i'm sure he can give you some valuable hints on how you can get this done well.
+1

+ Post Reply