Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Re: Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

Postby chrl42 » Mar 28th, '14, 08:22

Yunnan green called 'Dian Lv'.

Bought it in Wuyutai on the way back home from work. Tasted it, I thought it'd be Sinensis Assamica, googled it it really turned out to be.

It's worse than Shandong's cheap Rizhao green I got from a friend who befriends with the farmers. Wuyutai is 100-yr old Beijing's John Harney equivalent, where never happens to satisfy me :o

The tea noticeably, there was a hint of bitter/astringency at the end. Good greens should never have that trait. Hoping the Yunnanese stick to Puerh as they have made for long... :)

User avatar chrl42
Posts: 1777
Joined: Mar 22, '08
Location: Beijing
Contact chrl42:

Re: Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

Postby Puerlife » Mar 29th, '14, 00:24

Harney and Sons, what a fancy, hoity toity sounding name. They must make good tea, even if the price seems too good to be true. Well, bleehhh. The first infusion of this sencha was in the ballpark, albeit way up in the nosebleed section with an obstructed view. I followed the directions except I used almost three full wooden scoops because yesterday's experiment with less tea at a lower temperature resulted in a tepid liquid that sent me to the pu-erh shelf. ]
I lived in Japan for a long time and have had some great tea, but sadly never delved into what I was actually drinking. Despite speaking quite a bit of Japanese, I never learned words such as gyokuro, asamushi, etc. When buying tea, I just chose by price. If there were offerings of 1,000, 2,000, and 3,000 yen I'd usually take the middle one and not even know anything more about the tea. Anyway, back to now. The first infusion was OK, especially for someone who is sencha starved. The bitterness was on the verge of being too much but I was able to savor it. I probably used too much tea. But this second infusion, which I did at the same temp, 80C, and same length, three minutes, just ain't good. I'm making faces. I'm sticking my tongue out, hoping the air will take away the taste.
Well, it was worth a try. Living in Thailand, Iherb's cheap, cheap shipping is always attractive. Is Rishi any better?

Puerlife
Posts: 308
Joined: Aug 20, '13
Location: Chiang Mai

Re: Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

Postby chrl42 » Mar 29th, '14, 03:15

Puerlife wrote:Harney and Sons, what a fancy, hoity toity sounding name. They must make good tea, even if the price seems too good to be true. Well, bleehhh. The first infusion of this sencha was in the ballpark, albeit way up in the nosebleed section with an obstructed view. I followed the directions except I used almost three full wooden scoops because yesterday's experiment with less tea at a lower temperature resulted in a tepid liquid that sent me to the pu-erh shelf. ]
I lived in Japan for a long time and have had some great tea, but sadly never delved into what I was actually drinking. Despite speaking quite a bit of Japanese, I never learned words such as gyokuro, asamushi, etc. When buying tea, I just chose by price. If there were offerings of 1,000, 2,000, and 3,000 yen I'd usually take the middle one and not even know anything more about the tea. Anyway, back to now. The first infusion was OK, especially for someone who is sencha starved. The bitterness was on the verge of being too much but I was able to savor it. I probably used too much tea. But this second infusion, which I did at the same temp, 80C, and same length, three minutes, just ain't good. I'm making faces. I'm sticking my tongue out, hoping the air will take away the taste.
Well, it was worth a try. Living in Thailand, Iherb's cheap, cheap shipping is always attractive. Is Rishi any better?

Now you've said it.

I have purchased Harney's sencha in the year 2004. I remember it clear cos that was the first sencha which soup turned out to be opaque/unclear. At that time I wasn't into Japanese tea that drove me to think it was normal phenomenon for sencha...but nah.

Their pyramid tea bags were quite ok and black teas they have names for that...so I'd skip.. :D

User avatar chrl42
Posts: 1777
Joined: Mar 22, '08
Location: Beijing
Contact chrl42:

Re: Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

Postby Chip » Mar 29th, '14, 09:58

:shock: :shock: :shock: 3 minutes is way too long for sencha ... first steep around 1-1.5 minutes and second steep around 30 seconds.

Also, the temp sounds high, but maybe this is a second flush?

Which selection ... linkie?

User avatar Chip
Mod/Admin
Posts: 22818
Joined: Apr 22, '06
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

Postby William » Mar 29th, '14, 10:20

Chip wrote::shock: :shock: :shock: 3 minutes is way too long for sencha ... first steep around 1-1.5 minutes and second steep around 30 seconds.

Also, the temp sounds high, but maybe this is a second flush?

Which selection ... linkie?


+1

User avatar William
Posts: 904
Joined: Jul 10, '13
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Italy / Japan

Re: Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

Postby Puerlife » Mar 29th, '14, 11:14

Are links allowed? It's the only sencha offered by Harney and Sons on the iherb dot com site. The first time I brewed it I did 60C for I forget how long, maybe three minutes, but it was pretty bad, way too weak. That's why I followed their directions the next time. Four ounces for $11.48 - is that price too low to expect anything good?

Puerlife
Posts: 308
Joined: Aug 20, '13
Location: Chiang Mai

Re: Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

Postby Chip » Mar 29th, '14, 11:20

Puerlife wrote:Are links allowed? It's the only sencha offered by Harney and Sons on the iherb dot com site. The first time I brewed it I did 60C for I forget how long, maybe three minutes, but it was pretty bad, way too weak. That's why I followed their directions the next time. Four ounces for $11.48 - is that price too low to expect anything good?

Yes, members in good standing are always permitted to link to products, etc.

User avatar Chip
Mod/Admin
Posts: 22818
Joined: Apr 22, '06
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

Postby Chip » Mar 29th, '14, 11:29

OK, well just goes to show that we should not trust a mass seller such as iherb.com to give proper brewing directions for a tea such as sencha.

According to the Harney site, this is a mid season sencha, meaning 2nd flush or later since they do not specify.

Harney offers better brewing suggestions. 160* for 1-2 minutes.

I would buy closer to the source than iherb.com. But I guess they appeal to the masses.

User avatar Chip
Mod/Admin
Posts: 22818
Joined: Apr 22, '06
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

Postby Puerlife » Mar 29th, '14, 12:33

The Iherb brewing instructions are identical to what's on the tin, as follows:

The correct way to brew green tea

Heat pot with boiling water until warm to touch
Discard that water and put a teaspoon of tea for each cup of tea desired.
Pour 180ºF water over tea & steep 3 minutes.
Pour through strainer.

Sounds kind of boiler plate. That's why I didn't brew it that way the first time. I'll try 160* for 1-2 minutes next time but it's strange that they say one thing on their website and another on the tin. Where did you find those instructions? I looked here but there's no product description:
https://www.harney.com/japanese-sencha- ... z-tin.html
EDIT: I just found those instructions.

Puerlife
Posts: 308
Joined: Aug 20, '13
Location: Chiang Mai

Re: Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

Postby Chip » Mar 29th, '14, 12:42

I have seen this quite often actually from various vendors. Sometimes I will get 3 rather different brewing suggestions for the exact same tea.

Here is where I got the directions:

https://www.harney.com/japanese-sencha.html

User avatar Chip
Mod/Admin
Posts: 22818
Joined: Apr 22, '06
Scrolling: scrolling
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

Postby Teaism » Apr 1st, '14, 03:19

Taiping Houkui. Sweet, mellow, refreshing and a hint of flower fragrance. Nice tea to start the day. :D

Cheers! :D

User avatar Teaism
Posts: 720
Joined: Jan 05, '13

Re: Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

Postby gunbuster363 » Apr 3rd, '14, 00:24

Just opened my first bag of Ippodo Hosen sencha. I think this is better than Kaboku sencha.

Wonderful! Nice umami taste good vegetal taste.

75 degree water, 12g leaf and 330 ml water.

User avatar gunbuster363
Posts: 111
Joined: Mar 12, '14
Location: Hong Kong
Contact gunbuster363:

Re: Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

Postby ChinesePottery » Apr 4th, '14, 15:36

pre-QingMing BiLuoChun from Chái Lín Jūn’s tea farm Image because the tea I've picked myself yesterday is not made yet Image.

User avatar ChinesePottery
Posts: 142
Joined: Feb 10, '11
Location: Leipzig/Germany
Contact ChinesePottery:

Re: Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

Postby gunbuster363 » Apr 7th, '14, 21:43

Hosen sencha from Ippodo

Still goooood

User avatar gunbuster363
Posts: 111
Joined: Mar 12, '14
Location: Hong Kong
Contact gunbuster363:

Re: Official what GREEN are you currently drinking?

Postby kyarazen » Apr 8th, '14, 10:35

breaking the rules?
guzhu zi shun in yixing qing shui ni pot
Image

User avatar kyarazen
Posts: 1526
Joined: Sep 02, '13
Location: in your tea closet
Contact kyarazen:


Today's Poll



Community

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest