Nihonto

Miscellaneous Discussion. Any topics that don't fit in other areas of the forum.

Mar 31st, '14, 10:43

Re: Nihonto

by JBaymore » Mar 31st, '14, 10:43

Wow..... stunning furniture! Those are going to be some gorgeous pieces.

Turning shades of green.......... :mrgreen:

best,

...............john

Mar 31st, '14, 11:19

by MEversbergII » Mar 31st, '14, 11:19

Very nice furniture! I'm reminded of a poem I read in high school about a warrior commissioning a sword. He wanted fierce iconography for the blade and hilt fixtures, but peaceful ones for his scabbard. Sadly, I remember neither the name nor the author :/

M.

Mar 31st, '14, 11:46

by Fuut » Mar 31st, '14, 11:46

OK here comes another 20 minutes fidding with sizes and stuff but here goes. Some shots i have of the pieces involved.

Firstly the Tachi (its also signed on the tachi side traditionally (although its also signed/dated on the reverse, a day in December [stripe]1863[this](-> edit: 1860, first year of Manen) (if I'm not mistaken)), damn brackets.

Also some of the highlights of this one is that the smith was extraordinary old (around 75 if I'm not mistaken) when he made this and that he worked for the Bakufu (from what i learned about it, the highest form of Japanese government around that time). And the very modern design on the tang (handle part). Anyway I'm soooo excited!
Attachments
hisayuki-62 copy.jpg
hisayuki-62 copy.jpg (8.9 KiB) Viewed 1577 times
hisayuki-32 copy.jpg
hisayuki-32 copy.jpg (9.27 KiB) Viewed 1577 times
Last edited by Fuut on Sep 15th, '15, 17:56, edited 1 time in total.

Mar 31st, '14, 12:00

by Fuut » Mar 31st, '14, 12:00

And the Nagamichi wakizashi;
nag1.jpg
nag1.jpg (8.72 KiB) Viewed 1574 times
Nag2.jpg
And here's the two together. I mean how awesome does that look:)
Nag2.jpg (14.64 KiB) Viewed 1574 times

Mar 31st, '14, 12:05

by MEversbergII » Mar 31st, '14, 12:05

Very nice set; I like the hamon. Not too busy, but still strong!

M.

Mar 31st, '14, 12:44

by Fuut » Mar 31st, '14, 12:44

Take notice of the nearly identical curvature, sort of the same size kissaki (the tip of the blade), and the overall feel of the 2 blades together, even though they weren't made as a daisho, this is what they'll become, for now anyway. I hope they'll be in this statis for the next 80 to 100 years:)

Mar 31st, '14, 13:06

by MEversbergII » Mar 31st, '14, 13:06

Family heirlooms in the making :)

I hope to make a return to sword collecting, myself. I've been considering a custom jian for a little while now.

M.

Mar 31st, '14, 13:22

by Fuut » Mar 31st, '14, 13:22

MEversbergII wrote:Family heirlooms in the making :)

I hope to make a return to sword collecting, myself. I've been considering a custom jian for a little while now.

M.
After a quick Google search i found out what you're referring to is a Chinese sort of blade. To be honest i think most if not all made swords made in history have a place there. Though not many were as pressed on all sorts of factors like the Japanese, and besides that i doubt anyone has a Nordic 2 handed (corroded) blade on the wall next to the dining table:) However some blades are so well preserved until today that its nearly a privilege to maintain them. Anyway that's how i feel about it. I just love the whole identity of that part of history, extraordinarily original.

Edit: also; family heirloom implies there is a family, as i just spend nearly all my savings i doubt there is much female attention for a broke guy living of tea and swords:)

Mar 31st, '14, 13:48

by MEversbergII » Mar 31st, '14, 13:48

Fuut wrote:
After a quick Google search i found out what you're referring to is a Chinese sort of blade. To be honest i think most if not all made swords made in history have a place there. Though not many were as pressed on all sorts of factors like the Japanese, and besides that i doubt anyone has a Nordic 2 handed (corroded) blade on the wall next to the dining table:) However some blades are so well preserved until today that its nearly a privilege to maintain them. Anyway that's how i feel about it. I just love the whole identity of that part of history, extraordinarily original.
Yeah, in the west there's very little "heirloom" swords left. Some people still have sabres that have hung around in the family, though, or captured gunto from Japan. I have a repro NCO gunto, wanting to get an original eventually.
Fuut wrote: Edit: also; family heirloom implies there is a family, as i just spend nearly all my savings i doubt there is much female attention for a broke guy living of tea and swords:)
Well, I was an unemployed fat kid living in his parent's basement when my other half found me :p

M.

Mar 31st, '14, 14:19

by Fuut » Mar 31st, '14, 14:19

Double post - sorry.
Last edited by Fuut on Mar 31st, '14, 14:21, edited 1 time in total.

Mar 31st, '14, 14:21

by Fuut » Mar 31st, '14, 14:21

Fuut wrote:
MEversbergII wrote:
Fuut wrote: Edit: also; family heirloom implies there is a family, as i just spend nearly all my savings i doubt there is much female attention for a broke guy living of tea and swords:)
Well, I was an unemployed fat kid living in his parent's basement when my other half found me :p
You seem to have an as negatively influenced self-image i have. Anyway even if i end up being alone, I'll at least have had the privilege of having these pieces in my hands:)
Still you've given me some new hope, maybe there is someone who would be interested in a specimen like me.

Mar 31st, '14, 14:29

by MEversbergII » Mar 31st, '14, 14:29

They're out there, but self improvement never hurts.

M.

Mar 31st, '14, 14:39

by Fuut » Mar 31st, '14, 14:39

MEversbergII wrote:They're out there, but self improvement never hurts.
Not to turn this into a topic about dating advice but i feel like i could be a decent boyfriend to anyone.

I have never cheated on anybody [rant]i mean whats the deal with everybody cheating, frikking ridiculous[/rant], I don't care too much about outward appearance (not to mistake for bad hygiene) while caring more for someone's personality. Ah well, most of my relationships (even though there were some and one really special) none of them worked out in my favor. So maybe it'll be a test of time. We'll find out eventually:)

Apr 2nd, '14, 11:05

by Fuut » Apr 2nd, '14, 11:05

OK! Here's a high resolution imagine of the nagako up the nagasa (entire cutting edge), (as high as the forum permits me too), its a really long sword so in this size it'll be about 5 or 6 imagine to cover the entire backside.

Check it out (take notice of the area between the hamon and the backridge. How exquisite can something as banal as a weapon become; I think the way the Japanese created and evolved their hand to hand or horse to hand or horse to horse and i can go on; combat. Anyway here's the photo.
Attachments
hisayuki-36 copy.jpg
hisayuki-36 copy.jpg (36.21 KiB) Viewed 1555 times

Apr 2nd, '14, 13:29
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Apr 2nd, '14, 13:29

You spent 80-90% of your savings on a pair of swords, having never owned any before? Congratulations, you'll fit right in here. :D

Beautiful pieces--definitely read up on maintenance and take very good care of them. I'm into a few Southeast Asian arts (many of which involve knives and swords, e.g., the Filipino arts) and do love looking at swords of all kinds.

I'm really worried your swords are going to rust up in storage. :( I have hundreds of carbon steel blades of all sizes, including 19th century swords, and I keep them in dehumidified storage to keep the rust at bay.

+ Post Reply