Jan 26th, '14, 11:40

Re: Kyara / Aloeswood

by kyarazen » Jan 26th, '14, 11:40

TIM wrote:Image

Some of my favorite scent. OUD, AMBERGRIS, TONQUIN MUSK & KYARA.
Pure and simple. No time for forges and commercial dilutions.
nice samplers. :D

Jan 26th, '14, 11:58

by kyarazen » Jan 26th, '14, 11:58

there are definitely more agarwood/kyara lovers in this forum! stop hiding and share your stuff :)~~

Jan 26th, '14, 14:51
Vendor Member

by TIM » Jan 26th, '14, 14:51

kyarazen wrote:
TIM wrote:Image

Some of my favorite scent. OUD, AMBERGRIS, TONQUIN MUSK & KYARA.
Pure and simple. No time for forges and commercial dilutions.
nice samplers. :D
Thanks Kyarazen,
Since you are in the aloeswood business. Could you teach us more about Kyara, what is Kyara and the different grades of Kyara?

Many Thanks ~ Toki

Jan 26th, '14, 15:20

by GreenwoodStudio » Jan 26th, '14, 15:20

Wearing a generous swipe of Agar Aura's japanese incense inspired oud based attar called Kyoto. I love this oil and kick myself for not getting a full bottle before it sold out! It's a beautiful dance of sandalwood and oud. He somehow managed to enfleurage the scent of burning agarwood chips to create this oil. Amazing stuff! :D

Jan 27th, '14, 02:36

by kyarazen » Jan 27th, '14, 02:36

GreenwoodStudio wrote:Wearing a generous swipe of Agar Aura's japanese incense inspired oud based attar called Kyoto. I love this oil and kick myself for not getting a full bottle before it sold out! It's a beautiful dance of sandalwood and oud. He somehow managed to enfleurage the scent of burning agarwood chips to create this oil. Amazing stuff! :D
its quite a lovely scent, the smell of old books, an old library. an pile of old pu-erh stored with old books! :lol: :lol:

i pick up a bit more of the smoky cedarous (atlas probably?) or a tiny bit of birch tarry note than the exact scent of burning agarwood chips though.. but nevertheless still a nice concoction

Feb 10th, '14, 22:12
Vendor Member

by TIM » Feb 10th, '14, 22:12

Feb 11th, '14, 00:11

by kyarazen » Feb 11th, '14, 00:11

four or five years ago when the chinese agarwood market was less informed, there were legends and myths of 海捞沉

prepare for more price "stirring" and hype with this "discovery"! :mrgreen:
茶禅无味之味
杯中无意之禅
乃是无中生勿有
茶叶展方何其音?

Mar 27th, '14, 11:19

by chingwa » Mar 27th, '14, 11:19

I've enjoyed japanese "kyara" incense for a while now, and recently decided to try a small sampling of aloeswood essential oil....

WHOOOA! :lol: :lol: Not quite what I was expecting! I shared it with the wife and she ran out of the room in horror :D

Though I have to say.... it does grow on you a bit once you get over the initial reaction.

Mar 27th, '14, 13:14

by GreenwoodStudio » Mar 27th, '14, 13:14

LOL...what type?

Mar 27th, '14, 14:00

by chingwa » Mar 27th, '14, 14:00

It's Agarwood (CO2 extract) from Assam India... I only paid for a few drops... good thing to! :lol:

Mar 31st, '14, 11:48

by kyarazen » Mar 31st, '14, 11:48

chingwa wrote:I've enjoyed japanese "kyara" incense for a while now, and recently decided to try a small sampling of aloeswood essential oil....

WHOOOA! :lol: :lol: Not quite what I was expecting! I shared it with the wife and she ran out of the room in horror :D

Though I have to say.... it does grow on you a bit once you get over the initial reaction.
HAHAHA!!! of all things you started with assam-ese oils..

i suppose yours is the typical soaked assam before they CO2-ed it?
they let the wood chips ferment and the characteristic barn-yard note appears.

i concur that the barnyardy, fermented blue berries type of smell.. albeit metallic.. it grows on you after a while!! i can take deep whiffs of it but my wife runs away on sight of the bottle or sampler

Apr 1st, '14, 18:28

by chingwa » Apr 1st, '14, 18:28

Wait, are you saying that I got a "crappy" sample? :D

I had no idea what I was buying really, I only knew that I wasn't sure what I was getting into and was only willing to spend a small amount until I was more "experienced". Well I can say now that I've been "Experienced" :)

What would you recommend as a perfume-grade aloeswood Essential Oil?

Apr 2nd, '14, 03:19

by kyarazen » Apr 2nd, '14, 03:19

chingwa wrote:Wait, are you saying that I got a "crappy" sample? :D

I had no idea what I was buying really, I only knew that I wasn't sure what I was getting into and was only willing to spend a small amount until I was more "experienced". Well I can say now that I've been "Experienced" :)

What would you recommend as a perfume-grade aloeswood Essential Oil?
nope, not crappy but just classical.

oud oils from indonesia and thailand are usually non offensive, cambodi styles are fruity, thick....hindi styles are often the most offensive.. barnyardy, but rich and intense.

its extremely difficult to recommend a reasonably priced perfume grade aloeswood essential oil, and many times purity is a concern.

you can either get samplers from the regular reliable brands i.e. agaraura, oudimentary and all that. or on ebay, from a nice reliable dealer called feeloud. bought something from him recently :)

Apr 3rd, '14, 23:31

by GreenwoodStudio » Apr 3rd, '14, 23:31

I have not tried feeloud, yet :) but I can second Agaraura and Oudimentary. Their samples are pretty reasonably priced too.

I wanted to suggest trying some of your sample on cloth. On my skin oud can overwhelm me sometimes, and I actually feel like I might be invading the space of others around me. I enjoy the slower evolution and softer projection when it's applied to cloth. I apply a swipe to a small ribbon of cloth that then tie to my mala. Worn under my shirt like this the scent lasts many days and is much subtler. Worth a try :)

+ Post Reply