Teashops in Kuala Lumpur

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Apr 1st, '14, 17:35

Teashops in Kuala Lumpur

by Tofsla » Apr 1st, '14, 17:35

Hi all,
I need an advise from TC-members familiar with KL tea scene. I am going to be on a very quick visit in KL next week, between Sunday afternoon and Tuesday evening. It is going to be a busy business trip, but I really hope to have a chance to visit few tea shops, while I am there.

I got some addresses from previous related posts in this forum and I would like to explore shops on Jalan Sultan, and, if I am lucky, those in Kepong area. But in order to properly plan my actions I would like to know, what are the typical working days and hours for these shops. Are they open on Sunday or Monday? How late they usually close?

I always bought my teas in the Internet and have never been to a real shop. In fact, this is my first trip to SE Asia. So, any advices on how a Caucasian English speaking guy should approach and deal with shop owners, while in a shop, are also welcome.

I am interested mostly in sheng puerh, preferrably aged, or semi-aged, but, provided I have a chance, I would be glad to buy some good aged wulong, or aged liu bao, as well.

Apr 2nd, '14, 04:23

Re: Teashops in Kuala Lumpur

by quikstep » Apr 2nd, '14, 04:23

Hello,

This is probably your best map yet http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=14432

Since you want aged sheng, the best bet is inside Furama Hotel / The 5th Element. However, I think they are not opened on Sundays. Those in Kepong do open on Sunday except Lau Char. Those in Seri Kembangan is also opened on Sunday. Then again, those in Kepong/Seri Kemabagan does not have much aged tea.

If you like Da Hong Pao, there is Le Ye Xuan at the corner of Jalan Sultan and Jalan Hang Jebat. Opened Sunday.

Good luck on your hunt and in Malaysia, bargaining 5-20% is possible.

Apr 2nd, '14, 07:20

by Tofsla » Apr 2nd, '14, 07:20

Hi quikstep,
thank you very much for your advice! May I ask few more questions, please?

How late in the evening do the shops typically close?
The post you refer to mentions that most of the shops in Kepong are closed on Monday. Is that still the case today?

Apr 2nd, '14, 08:31

by quikstep » Apr 2nd, '14, 08:31

shops usually close by 7pm. oh, dont camp out at 9am too. typically safe to go by 11.30am to any shop :)

afaik, only JDX (dayi mostly) and lauchar (xiaguan mostly) is opened on Monday.

+ Post Reply