Xiaguan Toucha

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

Jan 14th, '09, 16:05

by drumhum » Jan 14th, '09, 16:05

I can vouch for that bamboo wrapped stuff from Nada. I've had a couple of samples now (I had to order a second as I'd forgotten what I thought of it ;-). A pleasant aged taste to boot. I don't think its fair to compare these teas. I'm pretty sure Nada's bamboo tea is a class further up the class scale! Just not cheap - by my cheap standards anyway.

I agree the canton stuff looks too expensive (even though its half the price of Nada's) and I'm a bit suspicious. I've seen stuff with the same wrapper for just a few dollars elsewhere. I've had tea from canton and I like the company a lot but I just don't understand this Xiaguan they are offering.

Canton says their tuo is 120g but everyone else are saying its 100g

Look at this...
http://www.puerhshop.com/index.php?main ... cts_id=686

same wrapper and just a year younger but its but its priced at $13 for the same amount of tea that canton is offering at £36 (about $53).

hmmm...

Jan 14th, '09, 16:49

by Jeremy » Jan 14th, '09, 16:49

How do you know that the one from canton is Jia Ji?

Jan 14th, '09, 17:25

by drumhum » Jan 14th, '09, 17:25

Jeremy wrote:How do you know that the one from canton is Jia Ji?
I don't. I was merely noting the wrapper in the picture (see the one on the lower right?) looks the same as Canton's

Thing is I've hunted around for any type of xiaguan tuos from around 2004 and I can't find anything approaching canton's price.

Don't get me wrong - I know little about Xiaguan & their tuo's, other than what I've read around here and bits I've picked from googleing. I've very little "price experience". I'm not "saying anything" about Canton's price - just wondering.

I found this too...
http://shop.andaotea.com/products/2004- ... ribbon-tuo

Just wondering what folk think.

Jan 15th, '09, 08:43

by hop_goblin » Jan 15th, '09, 08:43

TomVerlain wrote:I have that toucha, and while it is decent, it is not in a "must buy more. Of course, everybody has different tastes and priorities.

For the price, compared to others, andao has a good price. For the cost, I can think of other tea that I would rather drink now. To be fair, I am not a young sheng fan.
Yeah, I agree. If you are starting out your pu-collection, it is best to acquire stone pressed pu-erh as your bulk of your collection. Only then when you feel you have enough pu-erh to drink in 10 years or so, then tuochas and other items which are pressed rock solid should be added. of course it is ok to buy a tuocha here or there but if you are buying tuos expecting to have pu to drink in 10 years, you will be SOL - try 20 years.

Apr 1st, '14, 22:07

Re: Xiaguan Toucha

by bagua7 » Apr 1st, '14, 22:07

I have brewed:

1. FT Nan Zhao 2008
2. 2007 Gold Ribbon

Easy to drink and very enjoyable. I like their honesty.

Just purchased a couple of '07 "Te Ji" tuos. I trust they are good.

Apr 2nd, '14, 19:15

by bonescwa » Apr 2nd, '14, 19:15

I'm drinking the xiaguan eco wild 2009. It tastes like a barbecue and has strong qi. Not caffeine buzz, but I'm guessing this is what people mean when they say tea drunk. Anybody else try this?

Apr 2nd, '14, 21:15

Re:

by mr mopu » Apr 2nd, '14, 21:15

bonescwa wrote:I'm drinking the xiaguan eco wild 2009. It tastes like a barbecue and has strong qi. Not caffeine buzz, but I'm guessing this is what people mean when they say tea drunk. Anybody else try this?
Yep that's a good one and a good description.

Apr 3rd, '14, 01:29

Re:

by Exempt » Apr 3rd, '14, 01:29

bonescwa wrote:I'm drinking the xiaguan eco wild 2009. It tastes like a barbecue and has strong qi. Not caffeine buzz, but I'm guessing this is what people mean when they say tea drunk. Anybody else try this?
Does anyone know what the actual name of this tea is? I've read on various sites that it has strong qi but a wacky off flavor so I purchased one to try, however, I'm interested what the tea actually is as I can find no info of a "xiaguan eco wild"

Apr 3rd, '14, 06:43

Re: Re:

by mr mopu » Apr 3rd, '14, 06:43

Exempt wrote:
Does anyone know what the actual name of this tea is? I've read on various sites that it has strong qi but a wacky off flavor so I purchased one to try, however, I'm interested what the tea actually is as I can find no info of a "xiaguan eco wild"
It's called "Old Tree" most of the time. Here is a link from Dragon Teahouse.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Organic-Old-Tre ... 35bb529699.

+ Post Reply