Ode to the Kyusu


Discussion on virtually any teaware related item.

How many Kyusu do you own? And bonus question, how many do you use? So, 2 answers are permitted.

1
73
21%
2-3
79
23%
4-5
33
10%
6-7
7
2%
8-10
7
2%
11-14
5
1%
15 or more
5
1%
I USE 1
53
15%
2-3
53
15%
4-5
20
6%
6-7
2
1%
8-10
3
1%
11-14
2
1%
15 or more
5
1%
 
Total votes : 347

Re: Ode to the Kyusu

Postby Teaism » Mar 11th, '14, 12:27

I find the Shigaraki behave close to Duanni but better as it smoothen the new Sheng but still retaining the sweetness of the tea.

Hmmm...am I imagining things? :mrgreen:
User avatar
Teaism
 
Posts: 663
Joined: Jan 5th, '1

Re: Ode to the Kyusu

Postby kyarazen » Mar 11th, '14, 14:34

Teaism wrote:I find the Shigaraki behave close to Duanni but better as it smoothen the new Sheng but still retaining the sweetness of the tea.

Hmmm...am I imagining things? :mrgreen:


catalysis! :P it should smoothen the new sheng if its oxidation fired.. (is it or is it not?)
User avatar
kyarazen
 
Posts: 570
Joined: Sep 2nd, '1
Location: in your tea closet

Re: Ode to the Kyusu

Postby Alex » Mar 13th, '14, 06:44

Some outside pics! 8)

IMG_1028.JPG
IMG_1028.JPG (59.48 KiB) Viewed 611 times

IMG_1027.JPG
IMG_1027.JPG (60.95 KiB) Viewed 611 times

IMG_1032.JPG
IMG_1032.JPG (60.9 KiB) Viewed 611 times
User avatar
Alex
 
Posts: 1014
Joined: Oct 5th, '0
Location: UK

Re: Ode to the Kyusu

Postby Alex » Mar 13th, '14, 06:45

The details!

IMG_1029.JPG
IMG_1029.JPG (49.08 KiB) Viewed 611 times

IMG_1030.JPG
IMG_1030.JPG (55.58 KiB) Viewed 611 times
IMG_1031.JPG
IMG_1031.JPG (71.72 KiB) Viewed 611 times
User avatar
Alex
 
Posts: 1014
Joined: Oct 5th, '0
Location: UK

Re: Ode to the Kyusu

Postby Muadeeb » Mar 22nd, '14, 15:16

What a cute little green guy!

https://www.rishi-tea.com/product/gyoku ... t/tea-sets

I've been looking for a tiny gyokuro pot, and this one even comes with a cup! I guess I'll have to add some tea to my order to get the free shipping.. :wink:
User avatar
Muadeeb
 
Posts: 201
Joined: Feb 6th, '1
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: Ode to the Kyusu

Postby Chip » Mar 25th, '14, 13:16

Alex wrote:Forgot also not having used a larger Kyusu for quite some time just how nice the leaves smell in a big warm empty pot. I guess the large area on the bottom spreads the the leaves thin and warms them to a higher temp. The smell is out of this world....almost the best part of the session :lol:

Ah yes, the "I ... must ... sit ... down ... moments!" Often my fave part of tea as well is smelling the warming leaves in a preheated Kyusu.

Sorry for not replying sooner (life keeps getting crazy), Alex. Enjoy your biggy Shiggy! She is huge by comparison to mine.
User avatar
Chip
Mod/Admin
 
Posts: 22131
Joined: Apr 22nd, '
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: Ode to the Kyusu

Postby Alex » Mar 26th, '14, 05:20

Will do! My wife now drinks tea with me 50% of time so this is a great pot for us. What size is yours Chip?
User avatar
Alex
 
Posts: 1014
Joined: Oct 5th, '0
Location: UK

Re: Ode to the Kyusu

Postby Teaism » Mar 26th, '14, 06:08

Hi Alex/ Chip,

I was at Hojo shop last week. He still have a few left for sale. I think he prefer to sell it in the shop rather than online. There is one similar to yours Alex.

I was tempted to buy one but have 3 already ( 2 old and 1 new clay) in different sizes. You can see the small (50ml) and large (300ml) in my blog here:
https://teaism99.com/2014/02/26/kyusu/

Please click on the photo to view full size.

Cheers! :D
User avatar
Teaism
 
Posts: 663
Joined: Jan 5th, '1

Re: Ode to the Kyusu

Postby Chip » Mar 26th, '14, 09:49

Teaism wrote:Hi Alex/ Chip,

I was at Hojo shop last week. He still have a few left for sale. I think he prefer to sell it in the shop rather than online. There is one similar to yours Alex.

I was tempted to buy one but have 3 already ( 2 old and 1 new clay) in different sizes. You can see the small (50ml) and large (300ml) in my blog here:
https://teaism99.com/2014/02/26/kyusu/

Please click on the photo to view full size.

Cheers! :D

Yes, I am sure Hojo cannot sell all his nice pots to TCers ... he needs to fill his store shelves as well. :mrgreen:

I would also guess that the 30% +/- upcharge he must pass on due to Malaysian customs, etc. factors in significantly.
User avatar
Chip
Mod/Admin
 
Posts: 22131
Joined: Apr 22nd, '
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: Ode to the Kyusu

Postby Teaism » Mar 26th, '14, 10:07

Chip wrote:
Teaism wrote:Hi Alex/ Chip,

I was at Hojo shop last week. He still have a few left for sale. I think he prefer to sell it in the shop rather than online. There is one similar to yours Alex.

I was tempted to buy one but have 3 already ( 2 old and 1 new clay) in different sizes. You can see the small (50ml) and large (300ml) in my blog here:
https://teaism99.com/2014/02/26/kyusu/

Please click on the photo to view full size.

Cheers! :D

Yes, I am sure Hojo cannot sell all his nice pots to TCers ... he needs to fill his store shelves as well. :mrgreen:


I would also guess that the 30% +/- upcharge he must pass on due to Malaysian customs, etc. factors in significantly.


Hi Chip,

Nowadays he kept most of the teapots in the closed cabinet and display only a few for viewing. But if a customer interested, he will present as many as possible for the customer to choose.

He mentioned that the customs charged about 40% and sometime 50% duties. I felt he thought that it such a waste to pay the duties and send it overseas again.

His service is great and very professional. I enjoyed the few days spent with him, sampling a few dozens types of tea.

I bought a small cute Banko pot which fit into my agenda for my new experiment of brewing age tea and some tea to experience his storage system.

Cheers! :D
User avatar
Teaism
 
Posts: 663
Joined: Jan 5th, '1

Re: Ode to the Kyusu

Postby Chip » Mar 26th, '14, 11:46

Teaism wrote: Hi Chip,
He mentioned that the customs charged about 40% and sometime 50% duties. I felt he thought that it such a waste to pay the duties and send it overseas again.

Yes, this was my thought as well.

Plus I suspect he has gone this route with international customers who thought just like us, maybe he has such a pot in his B&M ... but then they get sticker shock over the significantly higher price due to added shipping and customs.

He likely has a much higher "conversion" or success selling as he does, online inventory for online shoppers and Malaysian shop inventory for Malaysian shop shoppers.

Just makes best use of his time.
User avatar
Chip
Mod/Admin
 
Posts: 22131
Joined: Apr 22nd, '
Location: Back in the TeaCave atop Mt. Fuji

Re: Ode to the Kyusu

Postby kyarazen » Apr 3rd, '14, 06:11

hmm... masaki tachi... $28k for a kyusu anyone? :D

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/auc-ocyanofujii/k-51ishibe
User avatar
kyarazen
 
Posts: 570
Joined: Sep 2nd, '1
Location: in your tea closet

Re: Ode to the Kyusu

Postby PaddyB » Apr 3rd, '14, 16:44

kyarazen wrote:hmm... masaki tachi... $28k for a kyusu anyone? :D

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/auc-ocyanofujii/k-51ishibe


Jaysus! :shock: While I really admire the potter's skill, could someone with a language skill or knowledge explain why the jawdropping price?
User avatar
PaddyB
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Mar 30th, '
Location: Slovenia

Re: Ode to the Kyusu

Postby kyarazen » Apr 3rd, '14, 21:20

PaddyB wrote:
kyarazen wrote:hmm... masaki tachi... $28k for a kyusu anyone? :D

http://item.rakuten.co.jp/auc-ocyanofujii/k-51ishibe


Jaysus! :shock: While I really admire the potter's skill, could someone with a language skill or knowledge explain why the jawdropping price?


oh actually after reading carefully its not 28k for 1 piece, but for 55 pieces.. :P that averages $500 per piece which can be reasonable for hand carved, high quality banko

commemorative set on the tokaido gojusantsugi.. or the 53 shukubas
User avatar
kyarazen
 
Posts: 570
Joined: Sep 2nd, '1
Location: in your tea closet

Re: Ode to the Kyusu

Postby Noahwhiteman24 » Apr 18th, '14, 01:46

This is a complete non-sequiter but I finally made it to the end! I began this thread one month ago after buying myself a Mukuhara Kashun kyusu from Artistic Nippon. Here I am now with an affinity for Hokujo's work as well as Touju's. It's strange how one's aesthetic changes. When I started I was very attracted to Hagi ware (the marshmallow/cloud looking kind, and still am) and generally disliked plainer looking kyusus, but I have come to appreciate them. Have any of you noticed changes in your aesthetics during different seasons/circumstances? Maybe someday my budget will allow me more freedom to have changing tastes...
User avatar
Noahwhiteman24
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Jul 11th, '
Location: Illinois

PreviousNext

Instant Messenger

Permissions
You cannot post new topics
You cannot reply to topics
You cannot edit your posts
You cannot delete your posts
You cannot post attachments
Navigation