Good Teavana Experiences?

Comprehensive member driven guide to vendors of all teas

Apr 8th, '14, 01:29

Good Teavana Experiences?

by Aeovis » Apr 8th, '14, 01:29

I was recently hired at my local Teavana, and after looking around I've seen an overwhelming amount of bad rep. My personal experience at my particular store, though, has been very good. I have a manager who was my favorite person to talk to as a customer, is incredibly knowledgeable about tea, and whom I respect very much. She's goes out of her way to treat her employees well, and makes a point of showing us how the sales method can be utilized in a way that is not pushy and has the customer's best experience in mind [and she does it very well, I've never gone home with anything I didn't want or out of my budget].

I've brought up and discussed with her some of the stories I've read hear and elsewhere, because I find them concerning. I just left a job that treated me poorly, and I can't find enthusiasm to sell something I don't know if I can believe in. She believes in this company whole-heartedly, though-- even if not necessarily all of her supervisors/fellow managers, so it's given me a bit of hope that I can find a similar faith in my new employer.

So, can anyone tell me a good experience?

Besides that, I would also be very interested in hearing more information on the criticism of the "top of the crop" claim. I've seen a lot of people call the tea quality mediocre, and would like to hear more about the opinion. I think it is most definitely a great introduction of the American public to loose leaf, but I can't say I'm enough of a connoisseur yet to really place it on a scale of worst to best.

Apr 8th, '14, 05:08

by bonescwa » Apr 8th, '14, 05:08

I think if you stay around here, read what some of the posters around here know, and check out some of the vendors reccomended here, you'll answer your own question.

Apr 8th, '14, 08:30

Re:

by Poseidon » Apr 8th, '14, 08:30

bonescwa wrote:I think if you stay around here, read what some of the posters around here know, and check out some of the vendors reccomended here, you'll answer your own question.
This is true for people who want to have the best. I can honestly say that I when I first got into loose leaf tea I went to Teavana and enjoyed the tea they offered. Is it overpriced? Of course it is. Is it tasty to people starting down the leaf road? I think so.

Teavana gets a bad rep for a lot of things. Here's a thread that talks about many of the negative aspects. http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... it=teavana

Now that Starbucks has purchased them maybe things will get better?

PS. Ill take an unsweetened iced Kona Pop(Pineapple herbal tea) from Teavana anyday.

Apr 8th, '14, 09:37

by bonescwa » Apr 8th, '14, 09:37

I'm not saying it has to be "the best," it just has to be a quality product for the money.

Apr 8th, '14, 11:43

Re:

by Poseidon » Apr 8th, '14, 11:43

bonescwa wrote:I'm not saying it has to be "the best," it just has to be a quality product for the money.
Absolutely. Dont get me wrong, after seeking quality teas I have not returned and probably wont but for the masses in the US, I think overpriced tea is far better than overpriced coffee. :D Most people in the US suffer from the "I want it now" mentality. Waiting 2-3 weeks to get a bag of tea from Asia isnt even an option. Luckily, not everyone in the US is like this. :wink:

Apr 8th, '14, 12:16

Re: Good Teavana Experiences?

by MEversbergII » Apr 8th, '14, 12:16

I've certainly learned to savor the wait. My first online tea-store was in HK!

It's expanded beyond tea, too - via Amazon I can occasionally get things for crazy cheap, shipped free, from HK.

M.

Apr 8th, '14, 14:54

by bonescwa » Apr 8th, '14, 14:54

Poseidon wrote:
bonescwa wrote:I'm not saying it has to be "the best," it just has to be a quality product for the money.
Absolutely. Dont get me wrong, after seeking quality teas I have not returned and probably wont but for the masses in the US, I think overpriced tea is far better than overpriced coffee. :D Most people in the US suffer from the "I want it now" mentality. Waiting 2-3 weeks to get a bag of tea from Asia isnt even an option. Luckily, not everyone in the US is like this. :wink:
Well, who says the masses in the US need to drink tea? I hope it stays unknown, more tea and better prices for us.

Apr 8th, '14, 15:00

by MEversbergII » Apr 8th, '14, 15:00

Actually, tea growers in China have been known to switch to coffee because it's known. Product popularity makes it more accessible even to us.

M.

Apr 8th, '14, 16:05

by bonescwa » Apr 8th, '14, 16:05

MEversbergII wrote:Actually, tea growers in China have been known to switch to coffee because it's known. Product popularity makes it more accessible even to us.

M.
So in the event that Americans begun drinking tea like they drink coffee, they will make more substandard product because it will become a mass market. It's modern China, no matter how many sellers try to romanticize it.

Apr 8th, '14, 18:53

Re: Re:

by Aeovis » Apr 8th, '14, 18:53

Poseidon wrote:
bonescwa wrote:I think if you stay around here, read what some of the posters around here know, and check out some of the vendors reccomended here, you'll answer your own question.
This is true for people who want to have the best. I can honestly say that I when I first got into loose leaf tea I went to Teavana and enjoyed the tea they offered. Is it overpriced? Of course it is. Is it tasty to people starting down the leaf road? I think so.

Teavana gets a bad rep for a lot of things. Here's a thread that talks about many of the negative aspects. http://www.teachat.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... it=teavana

Now that Starbucks has purchased them maybe things will get better?

PS. Ill take an unsweetened iced Kona Pop(Pineapple herbal tea) from Teavana anyday.
To be honest, the reason I started this thread is because I read pages upon pages of bad rep. In one of those threads, a couple of people popped up to defend it-- but rudely, and more in the "this is the best, period." uneducated sort of fashion, after which Chip suggested starting a thread for good Teavana stories and seeing what crops up.

So that's what I'm doing, because I doubt that person did. I'm not looking to hear that Teavana is the best, but I am hoping there's been some good experiences through it.

I do intend on expanding my realm of vendors, but it's going to have to wait until I've built up a few more paychecks. So if someone has specific examples of better teas, and what makes them better, I can gladly try them when I have the money.

Apr 8th, '14, 20:01

by Misou » Apr 8th, '14, 20:01

My own experiences at Tevana have not been encouraging.

Never mund though....you dont really need to know about someones experience hundreds of miles away.

You said your manager is awesome and knowledgeable. Learn from your mentor and apply your knowledge on the job.

You cant convince EVERYONE that Teavana is awesome but you have a huge influence on your local area.

Yes, most of the people on this forum might prefer to buy their tea from Asia, but Teavana's audience is different. That only means Teavana's customers have different needs and desires.

Frankly Teavan has done a lot in the US to spread tea interest. Some people will develop their pallets and seek other sources but many wont because teavana suits them very well.

Good luck in your new career.

Apr 8th, '14, 21:06

by Aeovis » Apr 8th, '14, 21:06

Misou wrote:My own experiences at Tevana have not been encouraging.

Never mund though....you dont really need to know about someones experience hundreds of miles away.

You said your manager is awesome and knowledgeable. Learn from your mentor and apply your knowledge on the job.

You cant convince EVERYONE that Teavana is awesome but you have a huge influence on your local area.

Yes, most of the people on this forum might prefer to buy their tea from Asia, but Teavana's audience is different. That only means Teavana's customers have different needs and desires.

Frankly Teavan has done a lot in the US to spread tea interest. Some people will develop their pallets and seek other sources but many wont because teavana suits them very well.

Thank you. that's a really good way to think about it.

I'm hoping that as Starbucks makes more changes-- and with the focus shifting from company growth to sustainability-- that a lot of the stores that take the sales process to terrible degrees will get a bit more scrutiny, and change for the better. Not to mention, Andy and Nancy Mack will be retiring soon.

You're absolutely right, though. If my store is good, I should focus on that. As long as I'm meeting the needs of the customers I have, that's a good thing. I just will feel more comfortable promoting the company once I can get a sense that it's really worth supporting.

Even if Teavana isn't the best of the best, at least it's bringing tea to the public, which I find nice. It's better than what most people know tea to be, and is ultimately going to be a better daily beverage than sodas or some other options. I guess mainly I'd consider Teavana a good gateway for people to learn about loose leaf and move on for there, as well as good option for those that don't really care to be connoisseurs.

Personally, though, I'd like to try as much tea from as many places as I possibly can.

Apr 8th, '14, 22:14

by bonescwa » Apr 8th, '14, 22:14

Aeovis wrote:
Misou wrote:My own experiences at Tevana have not been encouraging.

Thank you. that's a really good way to think about it.

I'm hoping that as Starbucks makes more changes-- and with the focus shifting from company growth to sustainability-- that a lot of the stores that take the sales process to terrible degrees will get a bit more scrutiny, and change for the better. Not to mention, Andy and Nancy Mack will be retiring soon.

You're absolutely right, though. If my store is good, I should focus on that. As long as I'm meeting the needs of the customers I have, that's a good thing. I just will feel more comfortable promoting the company once I can get a sense that it's really worth supporting.

Even if Teavana isn't the best of the best, at least it's bringing tea to the public, which I find nice. It's better than what most people know tea to be, and is ultimately going to be a better daily beverage than sodas or some other options. I guess mainly I'd consider Teavana a good gateway for people to learn about loose leaf and move on for there, as well as good option for those that don't really care to be connoisseurs.

Personally, though, I'd like to try as much tea from as many places as I possibly can.
This connoisseur/casual drinker dichotomy is false to me. I think there is something to appreciate in almost any tea, even a "bad" tea. Most of what Teavana sells, however, is a bunch of miscellaneous herbs and berries with a few tea leaves mixed in. I guess my problem with Teavana is that is preys on people's lack of knowledge in order to sell a lackluster product at exorbitant prices. They take advantage of the novelty factor and the image of tea drinking in order to profit, not on the quality of the product itself. Any type of merchant that does this annoys me, and the other company I would implicate as having this business model would be Verdant. I just don't like to see people paying far more than they should, even if they don't mind. It's like my cheapness impulse. Just some rant from a cheap student.

Apr 8th, '14, 23:16

by Aeovis » Apr 8th, '14, 23:16

bonescwa wrote: This connoisseur/casual drinker dichotomy is false to me. I think there is something to appreciate in almost any tea, even a "bad" tea. Most of what Teavana sells, however, is a bunch of miscellaneous herbs and berries with a few tea leaves mixed in. I guess my problem with Teavana is that is preys on people's lack of knowledge in order to sell a lackluster product at exorbitant prices. They take advantage of the novelty factor and the image of tea drinking in order to profit, not on the quality of the product itself. Any type of merchant that does this annoys me, and the other company I would implicate as having this business model would be Verdant. I just don't like to see people paying far more than they should, even if they don't mind. It's like my cheapness impulse. Just some rant from a cheap student.
Yeah, I can see the price issue. In terms of the tea, we do have a fair amount of selection that is unaltered teas, though, as well as the mixes and herbals. You're right about the dichotomy, though. Even where I love loose leaf and have a growing understanding of high quality teas, every now and again I can go for some Bigelow Constant Comment. There's a time and a place for every type. I only was bringing up the "connoisseur" factor because "not the best" comes up a lot. The prices can definitely be a bit up there, that factor considered.

The only other tea store in my area, though, has prices to rival. I found them far less informative than the Teavana in my town, too. I would be completely unsurprised if other Teavanas might prey on ignorance-- if my store pulled that, I'd be applying elsewhere right now, dear god.

What would you say is the most reasonable pricing for teas. Err... Let's say a Dragonwell/Longjing? This is something I know other companies source that I could directly compare. [I understand I could google, but I think understanding what's "reasonable" means knowing what's a good price for an equal quality, which I couldn't be sure of without actually ordering the tea]

Apr 9th, '14, 08:47

by Poseidon » Apr 9th, '14, 08:47

Heres a positive story about a visit to Teavana. I walked into the store to be greeted by a young guy who was very excited about tea and teaware. After letting him show me around the store, I was straight up with him and let him know that I was only there to browse while my lady was looking in another store. He understood so I decided to test his knowledge about tea to pass the time. The "fake" sales voice went away and we discussed puerh, oolong, and "obscure" green teas that they do not sell at the store, at length. We talked about the 'All in this tea' documentary and he informed me about David Lee Hoffman's tea site to purchase tea. It was really nice being able to talk to an employee and really see that he loved tea. I ended up buying a few ounces of random tea just to help the guy out in sales.

I worked at Starbucks for 3 years in college and was very upset that they had crap teas to drink. I think Teavana will benefit from having Sbux's training and money behind them.

+ Post Reply