Apr 11th, '14, 11:32

Plastic... Oh how I hate thee...

by Keiki » Apr 11th, '14, 11:32

Since my teas started tasting strange, I found that the problem was this:

The longer I kept hot water in my simple thermos, the worse the taste became. The inside is made of glass... but the lid is made of plastic. Probably the plastic contact with the water steam leaves all the water you put in with a terrible plastic taste.

Before I thought about the plastic lid and thought maybe my kettle was the problem, I decided to buy one of these:

It's a poor brazilian's Zojirushi-wannabe electric water boiler. As you can see, the top inside part is also made of... plastic. I ended up having the same problem with this one :(

Any cheap solutions to this problem? Any thermos you can recommend on ebay with worldwide shipping? Thanks!

Apr 11th, '14, 11:42

by bonescwa » Apr 11th, '14, 11:42

I've been shopping around for a glass double wall thermos to throw yesterday's leaves into to drink on the way to school... just trying to find the cheapest one that isn't too huge, I don't like weak tea.

Apr 12th, '14, 04:47

Re: Plastic... Oh how I hate thee...

by Misou » Apr 12th, '14, 04:47

It looks to me thst no plactic would come in contact with water on that boiler. or am I wrong?

It looks like when the lid is closed tha actual disk covering the water well is stainless.

Apr 12th, '14, 08:20

Re:

by Teaism » Apr 12th, '14, 08:20

bonescwa wrote:I've been shopping around for a glass double wall thermos to throw yesterday's leaves into to drink on the way to school... just trying to find the cheapest one that isn't too huge, I don't like weak tea.
You can consider Thermo-O Terra Double Walled Water Bottle w/ Tea Filter by Aquaovo. There are a few other brands too but I think this is the coolest in terms of design. Google and find out where to buy. There are positive and negative reviews for you to digest but it may be close to what you are looking for.

Cheers!

Apr 12th, '14, 08:45

by Keiki » Apr 12th, '14, 08:45

@Misou: the disk has little holes as you can see, and the steam gets in contact with plastic after all, and probably from the sides too :( the plastic smell/taste is really terrible! Worse than the simple thermos I'd say.

@Teaism: Thanks, I'm looking into that one!

Apr 12th, '14, 11:29

by bonescwa » Apr 12th, '14, 11:29

Teaism wrote:
bonescwa wrote:I've been shopping around for a glass double wall thermos to throw yesterday's leaves into to drink on the way to school... just trying to find the cheapest one that isn't too huge, I don't like weak tea.
You can consider Thermo-O Terra Double Walled Water Bottle w/ Tea Filter by Aquaovo. There are a few other brands too but I think this is the coolest in terms of design. Google and find out where to buy. There are positive and negative reviews for you to digest but it may be close to what you are looking for.

Cheers!
Thanks Teaism.

Apr 12th, '14, 13:34

by Teaism » Apr 12th, '14, 13:34

Most welcome :D . The reviews seems contradictory. Some love and some hate it. I guess it is up your own discretion. I just ordered one to find out myself. Good or bad, at least I learn something. Really like the aesthetic of it though.

Cheers!

Apr 14th, '14, 03:57

by bagua7 » Apr 14th, '14, 03:57

Alternatively, have you looked into one of these?

Bota bag

Info.

:mrgreen:

+ Post Reply