Noobie Tieguanyin Question

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Apr 9th, '14, 22:21

by caulfield » Apr 9th, '14, 22:21

I had Rishi Tieguanyin tea at a coffeeshop and really liked it. I'm normally a Yunnan black fan and I noticed that Yunnan sourcing sells Tieguanyin. Has anyone tried any of the Oolong from Yunnan sourcing?

I've been reading a lot of old threads on here, so I know a lot of people like Seven Cups and Jing Tea Shop, does anyone else have a favorite or just have any tips for someone new to this style?

Thanks!

Apr 10th, '14, 08:20

by mcrdotcom » Apr 10th, '14, 08:20

I don't know where you live but Verdant Tea does a nice TGY, when the new harvests come in they should be stocking minimal and medium oxidised varieties! If you want to try some roasted TGY origin tea is fantastic. :)

Apr 14th, '14, 03:53

Re: Noobie Tieguanyin Question

by danielhong » Apr 14th, '14, 03:53

Maybe I can offer 2 cents on Tieguanyin as I live in Xiamen city and go to Anxi frequently by 2 hours driving, my teacher and my grandmother lives there.

There are 2 categories of Tieguanyin, green and roasted, I don't know which one you have, a lot of people like green especially Sour type, my personal love is roasted one as you will not get tired of it even drink for whole day, besides it's traditional.

I would be happy to answer questions about Fujian teas including Tieguanyin, Da Hong Pao, White tea etc. :D Daniel

Apr 14th, '14, 22:16

by kyarazen » Apr 14th, '14, 22:16

whats your version of informations on da hong pao?

danielhong wrote:Maybe I can offer 2 cents on Tieguanyin as I live in Xiamen city and go to Anxi frequently by 2 hours driving, my teacher and my grandmother lives there.

There are 2 categories of Tieguanyin, green and roasted, I don't know which one you have, a lot of people like green especially Sour type, my personal love is roasted one as you will not get tired of it even drink for whole day, besides it's traditional.

I would be happy to answer questions about Fujian teas including Tieguanyin, Da Hong Pao, White tea etc. :D Daniel

Apr 14th, '14, 23:47
Scrolling: scrolling

by the_economist » Apr 14th, '14, 23:47

kyarazen wrote:whats your version of informations on da hong pao?

danielhong wrote: I would be happy to answer questions about Fujian teas including Tieguanyin, Da Hong Pao, White tea etc. :D Daniel
+1!!

Apr 16th, '14, 01:15

by danielhong » Apr 16th, '14, 01:15

Right now there are some middle/light roasted Da Hong Pao available for new rock tea drinkers, personally I prefer to high roasted one. Roasting is very important to get a really good Da Hong Pao, some use eletricity baker but you will find out the one baked with Charcoal is more smooth and as the time goes by it will get better tasting. From May to August, good dahongpao normally takes 3 months for roasting, one month one time. So the really good traditional dahongpao will be available from August.

Seems lots of people have interest in Da Hong Pao, to me it's a tea has the most difficulty to undersand, but a lot of fun :D . Cheers, Daniel

Apr 16th, '14, 01:34

by chrl42 » Apr 16th, '14, 01:34

danielhong wrote:Right now there are some middle/light roasted Da Hong Pao available for new rock tea drinkers, personally I prefer to high roasted one. Roasting is very important to get a really good Da Hong Pao, some use eletricity baker but you will find out the one baked with Charcoal is more smooth and as the time goes by it will get better tasting. From May to August, good dahongpao normally takes 3 months for roasting, one month one time. So the really good traditional dahongpao will be available from August.

Seems lots of people have interest in Da Hong Pao, to me it's a tea has the most difficulty to undersand, but a lot of fun :D . Cheers, Daniel
You know..the term Da Hong Pao is used for the blended ones,

These days, what are the major leaves used for blending? is it Shui Xian or Rou Gui, or any tips on it? :D

Apr 16th, '14, 01:44

by the_economist » Apr 16th, '14, 01:44

danielhong wrote: Seems lots of people have interest in Da Hong Pao, to me it's a tea has the most difficulty to undersand, but a lot of fun :D . Cheers, Daniel
What are the major Da Hong Pao varietals? Is it true there are three main ones, Beidou, Qidan, and Queshe? How do they differ in taste? I've wanted to try all 3 in a tasting session for a long long time now!

Apr 17th, '14, 12:06

by danielhong » Apr 17th, '14, 12:06

@chlr142兄, you must have had a lot of dhp and may meet many interesting fake ones, yes you're right, now everything is Da Hong Pao as long as they are long leaf with black color :D

To us blended Da Hong Pao means blending Dahongpao leaves from different farm, that way it can have a stable quality and be able to offer on a lower price, as 3 indepent dahongpao might not good by each, but by blending we can combine their good with lower cost.

Sorry @the_economist I don't know Queshe, Qidan is nice, there is also a company named Beidou, I heard it is the company owner who invented this variety.

Apr 29th, '14, 14:09

by Chip » Apr 29th, '14, 14:09

Topic has been reviewed and is now again available to members.

Chip
Immoderate TeaDrinker who happens to Moderate

Aug 6th, '14, 08:22

by Se7en8ight » Aug 6th, '14, 08:22

Hello hello :)

Could I trouble you guys to write the Traditional Chinese Characters for the Lightly Baked, Moderately Baked, and Thoroughly Baked Tie Guan Yin.

I'll get a chance to visit Taipei and worry my request will be lost in translation so I'd like to be prepared :)

Thanking you all so kindly :)

Aug 6th, '14, 10:50

by Evan Draper » Aug 6th, '14, 10:50

Aug 6th, '14, 11:10

by Se7en8ight » Aug 6th, '14, 11:10

Evan Draper wrote:This thread often seems germane:
http://teadrunk.org/topic/143/yancha-roasting-styles/
Thanking you. :P

Aug 8th, '14, 10:06

by kyarazen » Aug 8th, '14, 10:06

apparently to produce "da hong pao", there are 3-4 traits that are necessary and a blend of at least 3 teas to give the desired profile

care to share some more informations?
danielhong wrote:@chlr142兄, you must have had a lot of dhp and may meet many interesting fake ones, yes you're right, now everything is Da Hong Pao as long as they are long leaf with black color :D

To us blended Da Hong Pao means blending Dahongpao leaves from different farm, that way it can have a stable quality and be able to offer on a lower price, as 3 indepent dahongpao might not good by each, but by blending we can combine their good with lower cost.

Sorry @the_economist I don't know Queshe, Qidan is nice, there is also a company named Beidou, I heard it is the company owner who invented this variety.

Aug 8th, '14, 20:12

by wyardley » Aug 8th, '14, 20:12

kyarazen wrote:apparently to produce "da hong pao", there are 3-4 traits that are necessary and a blend of at least 3 teas to give the desired profile
While much DHP on the market is said to be blended, and while there may be some disagreement about what "pure" DHP is, my understanding is that proper DHP should be unblended, from specific varietals (most people would say qidan, but see below). I have heard it said that people who are used to blended DHP may find "pure" DHP a little mild tasting.

But of course, there's "dahongpao as tea", and then there's "dahongpao as brand". There's also the difficulty of knowing for sure whether what you have is what it's said to be, though blends of different types may be discernible from the leaf size / shape (I do not claim to be able to do this, but I don't doubt that there are people who can).

I have seen different claims in terms of what varietals people use for blended DHP. A tea friend of mine, who visited a tea farm outside the scenic area (who believe me, probably has plenty of customers who sell the stuff as genuine yancha) said this:
Mr. Li says his customers blend the 105 and Rougui to make Dahongpao, and also they sometimes use the Beidou #1.
http://amateursdethechinois.blogspot.co ... oct-2.html
I have had some of the Bei Dou #1 from this farm, and for the (quite low) price, it was quite nice.

One of the few (only) places I've seen the claim (in English, at least) about queshe is here:
http://www.sevencups.com/tea_shop/Que-S ... -2013.html
Due to its singular flavor, Sparrow’s Tongue is a vital component in most of the Big Red Robe wulong blends but is rarely sold unblended in the open market
danielhong wrote:Sorry @the_economist I don't know Queshe, Qidan is nice, there is also a company named Beidou, I heard it is the company owner who invented this variety.
See above paragraph re: queshe.

I think beidou isn't a company; beidou #1 is a varietal, claimed by some to be the "true" original DHP bush. The only stuff I've seen about this in English (on Hou De's blog) is gone now; I think you can read Chinese, so you may want to search for 姚月明.

Don't know how accurate all the information is, but see, e.g.,
http://baike.baidu.com/subview/1059783/6287547.htm

+ Post Reply