powdered white tea

White and yellow teas are among the most subtle.

Feb 1st, '08, 14:44

powdered white tea

by JT » Feb 1st, '08, 14:44

During one of my searches for different tea I came across this granite ground white tea

It looks interesting. Has anybody had that or something similar from some other place?

Here's the description from their page.

"powdered tea was the way tea was consumed back in 11th century china during the song dynasty. we are taking the first step in north america to re-introduce this innovative way of drinking tea. we use a granite grinding wheel to grind the fujian white tea down slowly into an ultra soft powder which holds 10 to 15 times the nutrients of a steeped white tea. taste is smooth and grassy.

preparation

whisk 2 bamboo tea scoops (1/2 tsp) of white tea with 60 ml (2 oz) of hot water (80°C/176ºF) using a bamboo whisk. proportions may be adjusted to taste.

ingredients

100% fujian white tea."

Feb 2nd, '08, 15:42

by joelbct » Feb 2nd, '08, 15:42

Hmm that does look interesting. And who's that cute girl that pops up when you click on the "about Muzi" link? And why are they in Canada?

But seriously, that is fascinating... Ground Fujian White Tea, huh? I wonder what it tastes like?!

I might have to order some... Ah, finding this forum has been as stimulating to my taste buds as it has been costly to my bank account :)

Feb 2nd, '08, 19:03

by Wesli » Feb 2nd, '08, 19:03

:oops:

Feb 2nd, '08, 19:35

by hop_goblin » Feb 2nd, '08, 19:35

Indeed! This tea does seem interesting. I actually have powdered Japanese green tea mixed with maltodextrin ( a corn starch) that I pack and take to class and mix it with cold water to have something stimilating to drink.

Feb 2nd, '08, 21:06

Re: powdered white tea

by cherryking » Feb 2nd, '08, 21:06

JT wrote:During one of my searches for different tea I came across this granite ground white tea

It looks interesting. Has anybody had that or something similar from some other place?

Here's the description from their page.

"powdered tea was the way tea was consumed back in 11th century china during the song dynasty. we are taking the first step in north america to re-introduce this innovative way of drinking tea. we use a granite grinding wheel to grind the fujian white tea down slowly into an ultra soft powder which holds 10 to 15 times the nutrients of a steeped white tea. taste is smooth and grassy.

preparation

whisk 2 bamboo tea scoops (1/2 tsp) of white tea with 60 ml (2 oz) of hot water (80°C/176ºF) using a bamboo whisk. proportions may be adjusted to taste.

ingredients

100% fujian white tea."
I agree with you about white powdered tea, and you are right. In earlier Chinese tea drinking, tea was ground and made tea into powder.

Today, we have also white tea fannings in China domestic market. White tea have four different grade: Silver Needle is special white tea, just tea buds, the rest is Pai Mu Dan ( White Peony), Pai Mu Tan has four grades, Pai Mu Tan 6900, Pai Mu Dan 6901 1st grade, Pai Mu Dan 6902, Pai Mu Dan 6903.

White tea is the earliest tea for available in China. Usually tea factory pick buds to make Silver Needle. When tea leaves grow big, they will make Pan Mu Dan with one bud one leaf. and then when tea leaves grows more big, tea factory will make them into tea fannings, and tea dust. That is a regular process way.

Of course, I can make silver needle into powder, if I like powdered silver needle :P

Feb 2nd, '08, 21:11

by Mary R » Feb 2nd, '08, 21:11

...will it blend?

Oh come on...I'm not the only one whose seen the Blendtec viral ads!

Feb 2nd, '08, 21:44

by cherryking » Feb 2nd, '08, 21:44

Mary R wrote:...will it blend?

Oh come on...I'm not the only one whose seen the Blendtec viral ads!
Blend ??? A very good question.

To be frank, according to my personal tea experience, I never heard powdered silver needle in China market. Tea factory prefer to sell Silver Needle leaf at good prices. and then they will sell special grade, first grade of Bai Mu Tan, and second grade of Bai Mu Tan. and then they will consider to make rest white tea into dust or fannings.

Of course it depands on prices, if we find prowdered white tea with high prices, we would speculate that this powdered white have Bai Mu Tai thrid grade blending with the rest of low grade of white tea..

:shock:

Feb 2nd, '08, 21:59

by Mary R » Feb 2nd, '08, 21:59

LOL, sorry...I think my joke was funnier in my head. When I saw your "Of course, I can make silver needle into powder, if I like powdered silver needle" line, all I could think of was pulverizing some Silver Needle in a Blendtec. It wouldn't be as awe inspiring as the iPhone blending...but it would be mildly useful.

Feb 2nd, '08, 22:56

by JT » Feb 2nd, '08, 22:56

joelbct wrote:
But seriously, that is fascinating... Ground Fujian White Tea, huh? I wonder what it tastes like?!

I might have to order some... Ah, finding this forum has been as stimulating to my taste buds as it has been costly to my bank account :)
I wholeheartedly agree with you on that.
My "to buy list" keeps growing and growing.
Let me know if you end up getting some and tell us about it. I would jump on it right now but I don't have the necessary matcha tools as of yet.

I like that they listed "quality assurance". It's bizarre to think that the leaves/buds were picked in Fujian, flown to Germany to get tested and then off to Japan for grinding, then shipped to Canada for sales. By the time they get to the customer they must have racked up lots of frequent flyer miles.

Feb 10th, '08, 04:20

by olivierco » Feb 10th, '08, 04:20

Here is a link about powered tea in ancient China

http://teamasters.blogspot.com/2006/07/ ... -1279.html

There is a little more in the French version of this article

http://teamasters.blogspot.com/2006/06/ ... -1279.html

Feb 10th, '08, 13:05
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Feb 10th, '08, 13:05

Tap, tap, tap...this tea has gotten my attention.

I would like to learn more about its manufacture. And possibly try it once I am convinced it is made with quality leaf that has been milled, much as matcha is made with premium leaf that has been milled. I would not want it if it is just remnant byprodunt that has been recouped by a broom and dust pan.

Much as one can toss some matcha or powdered sencha into a water bottle for tea on the go, it would be cool to be able to this with white as well.

Feb 10th, '08, 16:40

by Space Samurai » Feb 10th, '08, 16:40

I think I'll waste a week's worth of tea money on it; I'm simply too curious. Its the "what if..." If matcha can taste so amazing and unique, could this be just as good...

Feb 28th, '08, 19:42

by Zeahra » Feb 28th, '08, 19:42

I have never heard of powder white tea before. It is very intersting. Since white tea contains more antioxdants than green tea, white powder tea probably has way more antioxidant levels than matcha.

Feb 28th, '08, 20:43

by cloudyday » Feb 28th, '08, 20:43

This site looks way too HIP. I don't trust it!
lol

Mar 1st, '08, 14:56

by Trey Winston » Mar 1st, '08, 14:56

Has anyone tried the powdered white yet? Any chance of anyone posting pictures? I'm curious about it, not least how it looks in the cup. I would guess a pale green, less opaque than matcha.
Trey

+ Post Reply