3%
Infinity ... always room for one more
52%

Total votes: 159

Feb 19th, '14, 23:21
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: The unofficial/official HAGI topic!

by Chip » Feb 19th, '14, 23:21

debunix wrote:Those are really lovely and unusual--very colorful Sansai, and great size/form as well.
Thank you ... though I cannot take credit for features you compliment. :mrgreen:

TeaChat Hagi Special Offer ... Snowdrifts by Shibuya Eiichi. This may be a personal fave Hagi SO even though it does not come off the shelf as much lately. Still it has likely been used for well over a hundred sessions.

Anyway, revisiting this one with some photos taken a few days ago, and a bit older than the last time.

... spin that Hagi ...

blah blah blah SENCHA blah blah blah!!!

Feb 19th, '14, 23:25

by debunix » Feb 19th, '14, 23:25

It look to me like some.....um....stripes? sides? vertical panels?....are staining much faster than others on your Snowdrifts. On mine, the inside crackles stained rapidly, but the outside is a lot slower and more variable. It's a lot of fun to watch--adding to the wonderful tactile pleasure of this wonderful Hagi.

Feb 20th, '14, 03:00

by Tead Off » Feb 20th, '14, 03:00

Chip,
You really have an admirable collection of Hagi both in terms of quantity and quality. How many pieces do you reckon you and the mrs. have?

Feb 20th, '14, 08:14

by AdamMY » Feb 20th, '14, 08:14

debunix wrote:It look to me like some.....um....stripes? sides? vertical panels?....are staining much faster than others on your Snowdrifts. On mine, the inside crackles stained rapidly, but the outside is a lot slower and more variable. It's a lot of fun to watch--adding to the wonderful tactile pleasure of this wonderful Hagi.

I have always learned each piece has a life of its own in this regard. While I do not own a snow drift (still kind of kicking myself for that). With other SOs and just other pieces in general it seems that some pieces are much more willing to let tea work its way through the clay and hit the other side in others this can be an incredibly slow process.

Feb 20th, '14, 17:10

by kikula » Feb 20th, '14, 17:10

I love that piece - and it's a wonderful example of that perfectly natural, artless form that's actually so difficult to achieve. I've been trying my own hand at kurinuki (not sure if this piece is officially that?) and it's maddeningly humbling - I occasionally get a form that's briefly beautiful but you wouldn't want to drink tea from it, or a hand and mouth-friendly item with angles that are clearly contrived, with awkward curves and very little sense of natural balance, and efforts to make that right throw the functionality off again, and so on. It's a lot of (somewhat gruesome) fun, and extraordinarily merciless to both finicky and reckless gestures (not to mention simple amateur clumsiness).
And those impossibly good glazings... ai.
So very much skill in the hands (and eye) behind this work. Respect.

Feb 23rd, '14, 21:03

by Chip » Feb 23rd, '14, 21:03

Tead Off wrote:Chip,
You really have an admirable collection of Hagi both in terms of quantity and quality. How many pieces do you reckon you and the mrs. have?
I have no idea ...

And what counts as "pieces?" For instance there are several sets. Do they count as one or the number of pieces?

Meh, maybe I will count one day ... :mrgreen:

Feb 23rd, '14, 23:13

by AdamMY » Feb 23rd, '14, 23:13

Chip wrote:
Tead Off wrote:Chip,
I have no idea ...

And what counts as "pieces?" For instance there are several sets. Do they count as one or the number of pieces?

Meh, maybe I will count one day ... :mrgreen:

And are we counting just Hagi or all Nippon-yaki? (Pardon if that is not an actual/appropriate use of the Japanese words, but the intent is hopefully clear.) Although yes Chip's is most certainly impressive, and if I ever move back to the same area as Chip again it would certainly be an interesting statistical anomaly. Not sure I or Chip ever shared this story on Teachat before but when I was just starting my Hagi Collection and living somewhat close to Chip him and I met up at a Sushi restaurant to show pieces and talk tea/ teaware. Lets just say some of the staff were somewhat impressed that we were even interested in these items especially given the Local. It did lead to this photo:

Which has a mildly high probability of being the most Choun pieces assembled as parts of a personal collection(s) outside of any major metropolitan area in the USA. (Not all the pieces are in the photo, some were sets and only a single item from the set made it in the photo).

Feb 24th, '14, 21:38

by Chip » Feb 24th, '14, 21:38

Adam, glad you decided to take some photos to help remember the Choun reunion. They are a rather scrappy looking bunch! :mrgreen:

Sendai.

This Hagi Wan was part of Hagi SO "Sendai" which was a round named for the town that was virtually swept out to sea during the disaster a few years ago. Conducting this round was special to all participants, I am certain. And the pieces continue to evoke memories of that time.

This one sits front and center on a display shelf. When I chose this particular piece, little did I know about the surprise in store. An image resembling an animated Mt. Fuji complete with two eyes. Fuji would grow more pronounced over time as most unusual staining outlined the image. Fuji is obviously dear to me, so the piece became even more ... special.

Seigan Sea Cucumber glaze must be a fickle thing as this round was quite a different version than planned. We were shooting for a gold version of this glaze which happened quite accidentally, previously. One day I will have to post the "accidental gold." This turned out more like a black version with some gold accents, but it really remarkable anyway.

Anyway, love the Sendai!

Recent photos coming ...

Feb 24th, '14, 22:11

by Chip » Feb 24th, '14, 22:11

Hagi SO Sendai "Fuji" today. Its namesake in the background. Please forgive the photo excess ... :mrgreen:

Feb 25th, '14, 03:48

by bliss » Feb 25th, '14, 03:48

Chip wrote:Hagi SO Sendai "Fuji" today. Its namesake in the background. Please forgive the photo excess ... :mrgreen:
No need to apologize, bring it on! Always nice view yours, and others, session photos :D

Would have been nice to be in on that SO! 8)

Feb 25th, '14, 04:50

by Alex » Feb 25th, '14, 04:50

Wow that little shape in the bottom of the cup kind of looks like a tea stain from where the last sup of a deep steamed sencha lay. :lol:

Mar 6th, '14, 14:49

by debunix » Mar 6th, '14, 14:49

Some lovely HAGI-yaki going unloved on Ebay right now....siblings of my wonderful Deishi Kumidashi-wan cups, so perfectly sized for every use, and with the best spirals in the interior to promote a contemplative mood when drinking the tea....

I'm about to enjoy some tea from this cup right now...

Mar 24th, '14, 11:04

by Fuut » Mar 24th, '14, 11:04

Even though its a Monday its a great day! Here's a new piece i scored off the web last night. Something i haven't seen before, but its listed as a piece of hagi ware by Seigan Yamane.

At first i wasn't sure if this was my thing but after watching the piece carefully on the photo's i went for it. To me it looks like a simple bowl, like drinking from a muddy high walled chawan where the glaze is still wet and dropping.

Here are some photo's.
744190468_o copy.jpg
Hand shaped bowl by Seigan Yamane.
744190468_o copy.jpg (41.78 KiB) Viewed 1408 times
744190561_o copy.jpg
Side A.
744190561_o copy.jpg (35.97 KiB) Viewed 1408 times
744190558_o.jpg
Side B.
744190558_o.jpg (43.27 KiB) Viewed 1408 times
I like how it appears to be a simple form, but the glaze is intriguing *(and must be more so when in hand), and the form isn't as simple as it appears to be at first glance.

Mar 24th, '14, 16:17

The unofficial/official HAGI topic!

by debunix » Mar 24th, '14, 16:17

Looks beautiful. I'm sure you're right about the glaze--most are cooler in person, and the fine texture in that will reward close inspection.

Apr 16th, '14, 08:47

by Fuut » Apr 16th, '14, 08:47

Fuut wrote:Even though its a Monday its a great day! Here's a new piece i scored off the web last night. Something i haven't seen before, but its listed as a piece of hagi ware by Seigan Yamane.

At first i wasn't sure if this was my thing but after watching the piece carefully on the photo's i went for it. To me it looks like a simple bowl, like drinking from a muddy high walled chawan where the glaze is still wet and dropping.

I like how it appears to be a simple form, but the glaze is intriguing *(and must be more so when in hand), and the form isn't as simple as it appears to be at first glance.
Wow, after about a month and 2 shipping attempts later. I finally managed to get the bowl in my hands. Its a big bowl with steep walls. That colors are more vibrant than the photo's showed, there's a combination of light red and purple on the insides of the bowl. Also its quiet a heavy piece, i don't have a weight but I'd say its close to 700 grams.. So really heavy. However I'm happy with it.

Shot of the bowl in use coming soon:)

PS: sorry debunix, didn't see your reply until about 2 weeks back!:)

+ Post Reply