"China just revealed nearly 20% of its farmland is polluted"

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Apr 18th, '14, 22:15

"China just revealed nearly 20% of its farmland is polluted"

by Hannah » Apr 18th, '14, 22:15

http://qz.com/200602/china-just-reveale ... -polluted/

Sorry if this is posted elsewhere, thought it would be pretty relevant here. Does this concern anyone? Nearly 90% of the tea I drink is Chinese Tea.. I wonder how much of it (if any) is affected..

Particularly worried since most of what I drink comes from Fujian, which is sandwiched between the 2 most affected areas, Shanghai and Hong Kong..

Apr 19th, '14, 00:42

Re: "China just revealed nearly 20% of its farmland is polluted"

by chrl42 » Apr 19th, '14, 00:42

Let's see...

"The pollution is concentrated around the Yangtze and Pearl River Deltas"

Yangtze river is pretty much the heart of southern China, Biluochun comes to mind..which is at the downstream of Yangtze, Lake Taihu is often seen in the news for its pollution.

Longjing is a bit south from Yangtze, Hangzhou government does control the pollutions since the city is a landmark for tourists and tea drinkers. Huangshan Maofeng (including Liuan Guapian and Taiping Houkui) to be way north from Yangze. AAAAA-rated natural heritage of China that is.

Pearl River Deltas is south of Guangdong, not many teas I am aware of come from there. Dan Cong's Chaozhou-Shantou is way east from there.

Hannah wrote:http://qz.com/200602/china-just-reveale ... -polluted/

Sorry if this is posted elsewhere, thought it would be pretty relevant here. Does this concern anyone? Nearly 90% of the tea I drink is Chinese Tea.. I wonder how much of it (if any) is affected..

Particularly worried since most of what I drink comes from Fujian, which is sandwiched between the 2 most affected areas, Shanghai and Hong Kong..
lol let's chill, the distance between Shanghai and Hongkong is a large, large covering :mrgreen:

my suggestion, choose Puerh tea!

Apr 19th, '14, 04:21

by Hannah » Apr 19th, '14, 04:21

Good points, that does make me feel a bit better haha
Honestly though, even if it was worse, it'd be hard to give up my chinese tea addiction.. a cup of coke or sprite is still probably worse :lol:

Jun 3rd, '14, 23:56
Scrolling: scrolling

by ABx » Jun 3rd, '14, 23:56

I recall when someone around here brought up DDT and everyone started fretting. When I looked into it, it turns out that something like 60-80% of all *American* milk has detectible levels.

There are a lot of things that sound scary out of context; the truth is usually a lot more complicated. Things like "Last year, half of all samples of rice in Guangzhou were found to have poisonous levels of cadmium" sound terrifying, until you realize that the implication would mean that nearly half of all people of Guangzhou should be dead.

Just to be clear: I'm not saying that it's not a problem, just that more info is really needed.

+ Post Reply