Apr 23rd, '14, 10:03

What is the difference in types of clay for teaware?

by leshka » Apr 23rd, '14, 10:03

I’m totally new to this. Was introduced to fine teas a couple of months ago. Loved it. I thing this is time for me to get decent cups. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I found few varieties:
Purple sand
Di Cao Qing clay
Qing Shui clay

What's the difference?

I also found zisha glazed inside. I suppose light glazed helps to enjoy color and clarity of the tea, but how do tea oil get inside of the clay?

Thanks!
Lesha

Apr 23rd, '14, 13:09

by bonescwa » Apr 23rd, '14, 13:09

If its glazed inside, it doesn't get seasoned. I have a heavy "yixing" gaiwan that's glazed inside which is useful for heat retention vs a thin porcelain gaiwan. As a fellow beginner, I would advise to take your time and read the information on here because these topics have all been discussed many times.

Apr 23rd, '14, 14:42

Re: What is the difference in types of clay for teaware?

by leshka » Apr 23rd, '14, 14:42

I started reading, but would rather do it with a nice cup of tea. While I'm reading I was thinking to purchase this cup: https://www.etsy.com/listing/166375305/ ... -lilan-cup

but not sure about the material.

I just wasted $300 on a shoe polished teapots. Now I'm cautious of spending $6 on a cup

Here is another option, but much more costly. And i don't understand why..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171295367824

Apr 23rd, '14, 21:04

by bonescwa » Apr 23rd, '14, 21:04

You can make a nice cup of tea without yixing. Take your time. Tea is simple. Learn to make something you like without spending a ton of money on a subject you don't know anything about, or if you'll even be drinking tea after a couple months.

You're never going to "be sure" about a clay from a few pictures on ebay. There are people who dedicate years to understanding yixing, and they have access to far more resources than those in the West. I would advise you to buy a cheap pot, and a moderate pot (100+ but no more than 200) and see if you can tell the difference. Use a gaiwan. Brew tea like most people in China, throw a few leaves in a cup of hot water and sip from it all day and replace the water as you go. Spend your money on the actual tea and save all this stuff for later, it's not going anywhere. Especially if the puerh bubble pops (here's hoping).
Last edited by bonescwa on Apr 23rd, '14, 21:09, edited 1 time in total.

Apr 23rd, '14, 21:08

by leshka » Apr 23rd, '14, 21:08

True. This is what i was doing before decided to make it "right"

Apr 23rd, '14, 22:35

by chrl42 » Apr 23rd, '14, 22:35

Before you ask that, you have to ask whether they are 'real' Di Cao Qing clay or not. The clay is quite scarce one mined from deep inside.

But you don't have to worry about Qing Shui Ni clay too much, the meaning just is 'pure clay' of sort :D

Apr 23rd, '14, 23:17

by tingjunkie » Apr 23rd, '14, 23:17

I don't particularly recommend clay teacups myself. Far better to go with nice thin porcelain to really display the colors and (more importantly) aromas of the tea as the liquor dries and evaporates inside the cup. Just my 2 cents.

Apr 24th, '14, 07:40

by leshka » Apr 24th, '14, 07:40

chrl42 wrote:Before you ask that, you have to ask whether they are 'real' Di Cao Qing clay or not. The clay is quite scarce one mined from deep inside.

But you don't have to worry about Qing Shui Ni clay too much, the meaning just is 'pure clay' of sort :D
How can you tell if Di Cao Qing is real or not?

Apr 24th, '14, 07:43

by Tead Off » Apr 24th, '14, 07:43

leshka wrote:
chrl42 wrote:Before you ask that, you have to ask whether they are 'real' Di Cao Qing clay or not. The clay is quite scarce one mined from deep inside.

You can't. You need an expert to tell you.

Apr 24th, '14, 07:44

by leshka » Apr 24th, '14, 07:44

tingjunkie wrote:I don't particularly recommend clay teacups myself. Far better to go with nice thin porcelain to really display the colors and (more importantly) aromas of the tea as the liquor dries and evaporates inside the cup. Just my 2 cents.
Thanks for your 2 cents. I did some reading yesterday and started thinking porcelain.

Were can I find nice aroma set?

Apr 24th, '14, 07:45

by leshka » Apr 24th, '14, 07:45

Tead Off wrote:
leshka wrote:

You can't. You need an expert to tell you.
This is way too complicated! ((

Apr 24th, '14, 19:41

by Bef » Apr 24th, '14, 19:41

leshka wrote:
tingjunkie wrote:I don't particularly recommend clay teacups myself. Far better to go with nice thin porcelain to really display the colors and (more importantly) aromas of the tea as the liquor dries and evaporates inside the cup. Just my 2 cents.
Thanks for your 2 cents. I did some reading yesterday and started thinking porcelain.

Were can I find nice aroma set?
Ordered one on Taiwa Tea craft, but haven't received it yet. However, I'm very pleased with the gaiwan I got from them, and it's made at the same porcelain shop.

Apr 24th, '14, 21:52
Scrolling: scrolling

by brandon » Apr 24th, '14, 21:52

Guys, this stuff about ever more finite categories of zisha isn't going to help you learn to separate good teapots from not so good teapots. If I could offer something to a budding teapot fan who doesn't have one of these supposed experts on retainer, it would be to ignore color and terminology in favor of appreciating the texture. It can be hard if you can't feel the pot and the seller's photography is lacking, but I hope we can inspire them to do better.

This teapot feels silky. That's a nice clay. What to call it? Up to you experts.
Last edited by brandon on Apr 24th, '14, 21:54, edited 1 time in total.

Apr 24th, '14, 21:53
Vendor Member

by SilentChaos » Apr 24th, '14, 21:53

:o ......waaaa....look at that texture :!: :!:

Apr 24th, '14, 22:08
Scrolling: scrolling

by the_economist » Apr 24th, '14, 22:08

Gorgeous pot! One of the finest examples of good clay I've seen :)

+ Post Reply