Brewing recommendations - high mountain (alishan)

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Apr 28th, '14, 14:00

by Noonie » Apr 28th, '14, 14:00

I have a couple types of Alishan being delivered from taiwan tea crafts. I couldn't finding brewing recommendations on their site...is there a starting point with respect to leaf/water ratio, temp and time? I can adjust from there, just need a starting point. Thanks.

Apr 28th, '14, 14:16
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Brewing recommendations - high mountain (alishan)

by the_economist » Apr 28th, '14, 14:16

Here are mine:
just off the boil, ~20sec, 1g per 10ml :)

Apr 28th, '14, 14:35

by debunix » Apr 28th, '14, 14:35

I often start my Ali Shan teas at 195 for one or two infusions before moving up to 205, the highest temp my variable kettles will maintain. First infusion time depends on how much leaf I've used--if I'm worried about staying awake in the evening, I may do a small amount of leaf and infuse 2 minutes for first infusion and only try for a total of 3 or 4 infusions; most often I use about a gram of tea per 30 mL and a 1 minute first infusion, and just extend brewing times (and add hot water poured over the teapot to keep temps up) as the liquor gets weaker.

Apr 28th, '14, 14:39
Scrolling: scrolling

by William » Apr 28th, '14, 14:39

This is usually how I brew thist type of oolong.
Boiling water, 5 grams in 90/100 ml - 10s, 15s, 20s, 30s, 40s, and so on.
But remember that there are so many different combinations!

The only way to comprehend how you like it, is to try and try again, slowly and carefully, giving proper attention, to the various brews each time reached. After a while, you will have understood your preferences.

Have a nice day.

Apr 28th, '14, 14:55

by Poseidon » Apr 28th, '14, 14:55

I personally use off boiling water in a yixing pot or houhin/gaiwan with a ratio of 2g per 30ml(1oz) of water. Quick rinse. Then 15-20-25-30-45 second infusions and so on until the tea is spent. I agree with William though, figure out what YOU like and tweek from there. "Standard" brewing would be 1:1 ratio of leaf to water with off boiling water and brew times similar to mine with gong fu brewing.

Apr 28th, '14, 16:23

by Noonie » Apr 28th, '14, 16:23

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll draw what I can from the feedback and pick a starting point.

Some thoughts so far based on what I've read:
- most of the time I'm aiming for 3 x 150ml cups, based on my gaiwan/cup, and time available (this is the type of tea I would have after dinner, and I don't usually have enough time for many more sessions nor do I want to stay awake all night)
- so I tend to use less leaf to water, and brew for longer, so I may try 5g for 150ml water, and steep for 2 minutes (increasing time/temp from there)
- I know with gongfu style brewing the idea is more leaf to water and shorter brew times (resulting in more infusions), but for reasons above plus cost, I will only do this from time-to-time (weekends, working from home)
- I've moved towards sencha recently as it's what I like best, but I do want to keep some oolong in the mix

Apr 28th, '14, 18:57

by debunix » Apr 28th, '14, 18:57

There should always be room for a little oolong, especially High mountain versions.

May 8th, '14, 09:21

by Noonie » May 8th, '14, 09:21

I got my tea and have had one session with it (Alishan Spring 2014).

I used 1 1/2 tea spoons (the spoon you buy at a tea store, that looks like a 1/2 mellon ball...not the type I would eat cereal with or stir coffee...I mention because this one I can level and assume close to 5g, the other would be all over the place), 150ml water, 95c, steeped for 1 minute. Following two infusions I added 25s. I did a flash rinse to begin.

The taste was rather delicate. Sweet. I enjoyed it more after it cooled down in the cup for a minute (I don't like piping hot drinks...probably why I enjoy sencha). The first brew was softer, maybe because the leaves hadn't opened fully. The second a little deeper in the back of the throat and very nice. The third probably could have used a longer steep, as I found the flavor diminished some.

To compare, I'll try using using more leaf to water and shorter steeps to see how that changes the flavor. On a weekend I would have this mid-day so I have more time to play with it, and no worries about the caffeine keeping me up late.

May 9th, '14, 11:46

by Risdt » May 9th, '14, 11:46

Depending on the quality, I aim atleast for 8g/100ml, quick flash rinse and then start with a 20s or more steep, though that's personal preference.

Aug 13th, '14, 06:34

by Bok » Aug 13th, '14, 06:34

Basic technique which most people here in Taiwan follow, is to put as much tea until it covers the bottom of the pot. Depending on the teapot one can adjust, but no need for weighing tea…

Aug 15th, '14, 17:42

by steanze » Aug 15th, '14, 17:42

Yes, I also cover the bottom of the pot. I think it's around 2g/30ml. I like to steep the first infusion a little longer than the second, because in my experience the leaves release slightly less flavor in the first infusion when they are still rolled. So I usually do approximately 25s - 20s - 25s ... although I don't really time myself, I go mostly based on intuition. It also depends on the particular alishan you are brewing, I usually start with this rough standard the first time I brew a new tea, and gradually adjust once I get to know the tea...

+ Post Reply