HambonePots Woodfired Ceramics

Artisans share their Teaware Art.

Apr 21st, '14, 12:34
TeawareArtisan Member

by FiveStar » Apr 21st, '14, 12:34

Hello teachatters!

I've been making pots for a while now, and I finally feel my work is worthy of making its way out into the world. I've setup an etsy shop with a small selection of what's left from our most recent firing. All of these pieces were wood-fired in either an Anagama or Noborigama style kiln in Madison County, North Carolina. There are a few guinomi and Yunomi available as well as some large and small vases for those of us who enjoy flower arrangement. I hope you enjoy looking at my work, and there will be more to come this summer. I welcome any questions or critiques!

I've also set up a coupon code for the good folks here @ teachat. Simply type in "teachatter" into the coupon box, and receive 10% off your order.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/HambonePots?view_type=gallery

Apr 21st, '14, 13:14

Re: HambonePots Woodfired Ceramics

by yalokinh » Apr 21st, '14, 13:14

Cool stuff, do you do orders?
Thanks,
-Yalo

Apr 21st, '14, 14:18
TeawareArtisan Member

by FiveStar » Apr 21st, '14, 14:18

Thanks for checking me out! At the moment, I'm pretty stuck to the firing schedule of the owner of the kiln, so I can't really accept orders with any definite completion date. However, if there is something you'd be interested in I am more than happy to make some pieces and give a shout when we fire again. My guess for the next firing would be in the next 3 months or so.

I'm also working with shinos and making other glazed ware, but the Anagama can be rather unkind to glazed pieces. However the next firing will likely be the noborigama, and I hope to have some glazed ware in the glaze chamber.

Apr 26th, '14, 21:55
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Apr 26th, '14, 21:55

Welcome to our Teaware Artisans!

Apr 27th, '14, 09:32

by JBaymore » Apr 27th, '14, 09:32

Welcome aboard. :)

best,

............john

Apr 27th, '14, 11:38
TeawareArtisan Member

by FiveStar » Apr 27th, '14, 11:38

Thanks for all the warm greetings!

I am both elated and saddened that there aren't many tea related wares left. I've been obsessed with vase forms recently, so not many cups, etc. in the last firing. I've got more Yunomi, but many need wads ground off and I haven't made the leap to purchasing an angle grinder yet.

Made a few teapots yesterday, and while I was quite happy with the forms and function, I'm struggling with S-cracks in the bottoms when throwing the bodies off the hump. I'm going to work on shibs and gaiwans for the next firing, I've done some test pieces, but the wood kiln isn't very forgiving to thinly thrown pieces! Round lids don't fit well inside oblong cups.

Thanks again to all for checking out my pots.

Apr 27th, '14, 12:24

by Robert Fornell » Apr 27th, '14, 12:24

Welcome Hambone!......... Regarding "S" cracks, you might try compressing the bottom real well with the flat of your thumb right after you open.... should help it. :wink:

Apr 27th, '14, 15:27
TeawareArtisan Member

by FiveStar » Apr 27th, '14, 15:27

Thanks Robert! I'm compressing like crazy, but judging by the torque patterns in the cracks, I'm guessing I'm creating too much torque when centering on the hump? I think I rely too much on speed for centering with my kick wheel, and am not patient enough when centering and throwing. I've tried compressing after trimming with my stamp and with a mortar and lump of leather hard clay, and still get cracks from time to time. I suspect trimming the bottoms thinner helps too, but even that isn't foolproof. May have to experiment with claybodies more as well.

Apr 28th, '14, 00:08
Vendor Member

by ethan » Apr 28th, '14, 00:08

hambone, hoping u are not too hard on yourself: handmade, not mass-produced has charm in imperfection. lids for gaiwans that don't fit perfectly snug let me know where the tea will come out when it's time to pour. a slight escape of heat from a slightly loose lid won't spoil the tea for me. i encourage production of gaiwans & shibs for various sizes because it so nice to choose from many sizes thanks for sharing your experiences & work

Apr 28th, '14, 01:06

by bonescwa » Apr 28th, '14, 01:06

Make some gaiwans with a variety of designs, sizes, and wall thicknesses I think you'll have a lot of customers here :D

May 2nd, '14, 01:36

by yalokinh » May 2nd, '14, 01:36

ethan wrote:hambone, hoping u are not too hard on yourself: handmade, not mass-produced has charm in imperfection. lids for gaiwans that don't fit perfectly snug let me know where the tea will come out when it's time to pour. a slight escape of heat from a slightly loose lid won't spoil the tea for me. i encourage production of gaiwans & shibs for various sizes because it so nice to choose from many sizes thanks for sharing your experiences & work
yes, I love handmade stuff from makers. I actually prefer it over mass produced yixings and other pots. almost everything I own is from custom orders. I'd love to order stuff, just need the financial aspect to be there :{

May 2nd, '14, 06:21

by Cdragon » May 2nd, '14, 06:21

regarding S cracks. I read from Jeff Zamak that S cracks were from creating a well when coning up. The clay wasn't getting wound up evenly.

Gary Clontz would have a supply of small clay balls and would tap one on top of the hump every time he cut off a piece. That fresh bit would break up the clay memory.

I kind of go that route but I forego the little clay balls. I will just tap down the top of the hump a bit with a finger or two. Basically compress it before hand and then cone up the size I want to work with. It seems to be just enough to break up what was happening before.

Good luck!

May 2nd, '14, 08:06

Re:

by Poseidon » May 2nd, '14, 08:06

bonescwa wrote:Make some gaiwans with a variety of designs, sizes, and wall thicknesses I think you'll have a lot of customers here :D
i completely agree!!!

May 2nd, '14, 19:13

by yalokinh » May 2nd, '14, 19:13

not only gaiwans, but cups and other types of pots. Plates and boats would be great as well. so much to do!
PM sent about an inquiry

Jul 11th, '14, 04:51
Vendor Member

by blairswhitaker » Jul 11th, '14, 04:51

Just got the guinomi, pictures to follow soon, I'll break in this evening with some pleasant nihonshu. Thanks so much for this great offer and for shipping it to japan.

+ Post Reply