Pumidor Cabinet

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

May 14th, '14, 00:08

Pumidor Cabinet

by AllanK » May 14th, '14, 00:08

I have finally come up with a place in my apartment big enough for a pumidor. There is, however, not quite enough space for something as big as a refrigerator. I am wondering what people here have used as ideas for the cabinet itself? Any premade wood cabinets that can be converted to pumidors? Or even plastic cabinets?

May 14th, '14, 00:35

Re: Pumidor Cabinet

by Exempt » May 14th, '14, 00:35

There are about a million threads on this topic. Just search for things such as pumidor, humidor, humidifier, home storage etc

May 14th, '14, 13:51

by AllanK » May 14th, '14, 13:51

http://www.premiumhumidors.com/shop/hum ... idors.html

Would cabinets like these work for a pumidor or is the cedar they are lined with too smelly? The prices are pretty good. I imagine the ones for 3000 cigars would hold about 200 puerh cakes.

May 14th, '14, 14:00

by AllanK » May 14th, '14, 14:00

I spoke to the cigar humidor people at the website, they said that the cedar is very aromatic. It is therefore a no go. Another question is would something like this work for a base cabinet?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321402070949

May 14th, '14, 17:35

by wyardley » May 14th, '14, 17:35

Most pre-made humidors made in the US have cedar inside, however, Aristocrat Humidors (see tons of other threads on here) can make them with mahogany instead. The wood does still have some wood owner when it's new, but it's not aromatic like cedar.

May 14th, '14, 19:07

by Exempt » May 14th, '14, 19:07

AllanK wrote:http://www.premiumhumidors.com/shop/hum ... idors.html

Would cabinets like these work for a pumidor or is the cedar they are lined with too smelly? The prices are pretty good. I imagine the ones for 3000 cigars would hold about 200 puerh cakes.
This has been discussed on multiple threads if you search for them and read some. Yes the wood is too smelly

May 14th, '14, 19:49

by mr mopu » May 14th, '14, 19:49

AllanK wrote:I have finally come up with a place in my apartment big enough for a pumidor. There is, however, not quite enough space for something as big as a refrigerator. I am wondering what people here have used as ideas for the cabinet itself? Any premade wood cabinets that can be converted to pumidors? Or even plastic cabinets?
Maybe a mini fridge would be a better option. Cedar and Wood humidors would pass odors. A fridge has a food safe non odorous mold resistant lining.

May 14th, '14, 20:33

by AllanK » May 14th, '14, 20:33

mr mopu wrote:
AllanK wrote:I have finally come up with a place in my apartment big enough for a pumidor. There is, however, not quite enough space for something as big as a refrigerator. I am wondering what people here have used as ideas for the cabinet itself? Any premade wood cabinets that can be converted to pumidors? Or even plastic cabinets?
Maybe a mini fridge would be a better option. Cedar and Wood humidors would pass odors. A fridge has a food safe non odorous mold resistant lining.
I assume the idea of using a mini fridge includes somehow turning on the fan but turning off the refrigeration? They don't usually go to zero.

May 14th, '14, 21:11

by mr mopu » May 14th, '14, 21:11

AllanK wrote:
mr mopu wrote:
I assume the idea of using a mini fridge includes somehow turning on the fan but turning off the refrigeration? They don't usually go to zero.
Yeah just keep it unplugged it has an almost airtight seal so with a small cigar humidifier in there you can stabilize the humidity in a couple of days. You can get a fan kit with a humidifier that will turn on to circulate the air every-time the humidifier comes on. I can send you links to both if you want. just be sure to use only distilled water in a humidifier.

May 14th, '14, 22:30

by AllanK » May 14th, '14, 22:30

mr mopu wrote:
AllanK wrote:
mr mopu wrote:
Yeah just keep it unplugged it has an almost airtight seal so with a small cigar humidifier in there you can stabilize the humidity in a couple of days. You can get a fan kit with a humidifier that will turn on to circulate the air every-time the humidifier comes on. I can send you links to both if you want. just be sure to use only distilled water in a humidifier.
Mr Mopu, please send me the links. I will see if I have space for a mini fridge. The problem is I may not have the depth of space where I want to put it, have to figure out if one will fit. Good idea.

May 14th, '14, 22:50

by AllanK » May 14th, '14, 22:50

AllanK wrote:
mr mopu wrote:
AllanK wrote:
mr mopu wrote:
Mr Mopu, please send me the links. I will see if I have space for a mini fridge. The problem is I may not have the depth of space where I want to put it, have to figure out if one will fit. Good idea.
I measured the space where I was going to put a long but shallow shelving unit and a mini fridge is not too deep. Perhaps in a couple of months I will build a pumidor. Now I have to decide if I like wet aged tea? Does the tea stored in pumidor at a humidity of 70 taste more like dry aged tea or wet aged tea? Looks like an excuse to buy some samples of wet aged tea.

May 14th, '14, 23:12

by Exempt » May 14th, '14, 23:12

This thread is completely pointless :roll: all of this has been discussed at length on multiple other threads. You'll learn way more reading those than from the few people who will dignify this thread with a response

May 15th, '14, 04:27

by Balthazar » May 15th, '14, 04:27

Exempt, you have basically written the same post three times now... I get that it's boring to read the same discussions over and over, but there is always the option of not opening the thread if it annoys you.. You recently partook in a discussion regarding Puer and aging, another topic that has been debated a quazillion times on here before.

May 15th, '14, 06:48

by Tead Off » May 15th, '14, 06:48

Balthazar wrote:Exempt, you have basically written the same post three times now... I get that it's boring to read the same discussions over and over, but there is always the option of not opening the thread if it annoys you.. You recently partook in a discussion regarding Puer and aging, another topic that has been debated a quazillion times on here before.
I think Exempt makes a good point of pointing out the usage of the search function. If I were thinking of building a pumidor, I would want to read every available post on the subject. Using the search function is a good habit to get into. Many posters are too polite to say this when someone keeps asking endless questions.

May 15th, '14, 10:10

by Balthazar » May 15th, '14, 10:10

Agreed, and I didn't comment the first or the second time he pointed it out (as I do agree that searching should be encouraged before creating new threads about a common topic such as this). I'm fairly sure the OP got the message after those two comments, though.

+ Post Reply