Grocery Puerh Help

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

May 14th, '14, 21:58

Grocery Puerh Help

by Poseidon » May 14th, '14, 21:58

I was looking around at my favorite Asian grocery to see if they had any new teas and saw a ton of these cakes on the shelf. I'm not a puerh fan but i have a few friends who are so i thought about getting them a a few each. Unfortunately I cant read Mandarin so i wasn't able to research the company. Can someone help me out on what kind of cake this is and have you tried it?
14 - 5.jpg
14 - 5.jpg (45.16 KiB) Viewed 606 times
14 - 1.jpg
14 - 1.jpg (32.97 KiB) Viewed 606 times
I also came across this Da Hong Pao and couldn't find a manufacturer in english. Any help?
14 - 3.jpg
14 - 3.jpg (39.8 KiB) Viewed 606 times
Last edited by Poseidon on May 15th, '14, 07:53, edited 1 time in total.

May 14th, '14, 23:14

Re: Grocery Puerh Help

by Exempt » May 14th, '14, 23:14

Poseidon wrote:I was looking around at my favorite Asian grocery to see if they had any new teas and saw a ton of these cakes on the shelf. I'm not a huge puerh fan but i have a few friends who are so i thought about getting them a a few each. Unfortunately i cant read Mandarin so i wasn't able to research the company. Can someone help me out on what kind of cake this is and have you tried it?
14 - 5.jpg
14 - 1.jpg
I also came across this Da Hong Pao and couldn't find a manufacturer in english. Any help?
14 - 3.jpg
I'm not sure, as I also can't read mandarin, but the packaging makes them look like very low quality, cheap export teas to me. I'd try them myself before I actually gave them to anyone if I was you. Chances are, if your friends are huge fans of puerh, they won't be particularly interested in generic grocery puerh

May 14th, '14, 23:55

by bonescwa » May 14th, '14, 23:55

If you go to really old oriental grocery stores in smaller towns that don't have a ton of business, you might find some tea that has been sitting there for years. I went to one that had some really old tea, but it was green :( I even pulled out my phone to show the shopkeeper some pictures of puerh bings and asked if he had anything like that. He looked at the pictures for about a solid 3 minutes and said no :(

May 15th, '14, 00:42

by Emmett » May 15th, '14, 00:42

That Dahongpao looks like the same as one I had got at a local store and it was pretty much undrinkable. Try the puerh, its probably cheap low quality but you never know unless you try it.

May 15th, '14, 07:26

by Poseidon » May 15th, '14, 07:26

Emmett wrote:That Dahongpao looks like the same as one I had got at a local store and it was pretty much undrinkable. Try the puerh, its probably cheap low quality but you never know unless you try it.
I picked up the DaHongPao for myself because ive never had it. In all honesty, its not that bad. I thought it was neat that they were individially packaged in 6g packs. I also picked up some Tradition Dong Ding Oolong and was suprised by how decent it was. Its not going to blow anyones mind but for 7.99/100g+storage tin but I'll pick it up from time to time.
(This is the only link I can find online: http://www.yummy99.com/tradition-tea-do ... -100g.html)

As for the pu, my friends arent into finding the best of the best. From what ive seen they usually drink some loose leaf pu.(Again, I dont drink puerh so i have no idea what the name of the tea is)

May 15th, '14, 10:22
Scrolling: scrolling

by the_economist » May 15th, '14, 10:22

I've had similar DHP before too. It's pretty terrible IMO. Run of the mill supermarket teas are fun for a lark or to demonstrate difference in quality. Life's too short to drink bad tea!

May 15th, '14, 10:35

by Poseidon » May 15th, '14, 10:35

the_economist wrote:I've had similar DHP before too. It's pretty terrible IMO. Run of the mill supermarket teas are fun for a lark or to demonstrate difference in quality. Life's too short to drink bad tea!
I completely agree. Its just an expirament ive been wanting to do. Ive always wondered what the "baseline" for tea is in asia. Its fun to try out cheap tea sometimes! :lol:

+ Post Reply