Yerba Mate Issue

Healthy herbs, rooibos, honeybush, decaf tea, and yerba mate.

Jan 12th, '14, 09:57

Yerba Mate Issue

by mcrdotcom » Jan 12th, '14, 09:57

Hey guys,

Sorry this is such a long post, but any help would be greatly appreciated!

So, I've been drinking Yerba Mate with a Gourd and Bombilla for a few weeks now. My local vendor does 2 non branded types and 2 branded types (Pajorito and Amanda). The non branded stuff comes in small bags just like tea, 100-250g at a time, whereas the branded, as anyone who drinks them will know comes in 1kg sized bags which is great due to the sheer amount used in traditional mate brewing.

My problem is that the non branded stuff has large cut pieces, like the typical square like shaped pieces of mate mixed with white wood like twigs, but the branded stuff is very fine dust and powder mixed with larger cut pieces and the twigs... So loads of it gets into the bombilla and it's disgusting to drink :( But the non branded is beautiful simply because none ends up in my mouth!

So, is it my bombilla or the way I'm brewing the mate that is the issue?

P.s. I brew mate by filling a gourd 2/3rds with water, inserting straw, pouring mate on top and slowly stirring only the top of the straw (the bottom stays firmly on the bottom with no moving) kind of mixing a little mate into the water at a time, then I smooth it out and add more mate and continue until it's time to drink, then I top up with water to the top of the gourd and enjoy with topping up traditionally. I have also done it the traditional way described online by filling the gourd with the mate first, but the issue persists with both styles.

Photo: http://m.flickr.com/photos/robsbitsofte ... /lightbox/

That's off my mobile, when I'm on a computer I'll update with a desktop link! Branded is on the bottom

Thanks'

Jan 13th, '14, 10:42
Scrolling: fixed

Re: Yerba Mate Issue

by campusguy » Jan 13th, '14, 10:42

Have you tried Circle of Drink yerba mate? You should find them on facebook and join their Online Yerba Mate Community—you seem like you'd fit right in. There's plenty of answers to your yerba mate questions on circleofdrink.com.

Salud!

Jan 13th, '14, 11:51

by yalokinh » Jan 13th, '14, 11:51

Hey, hope I can shed some light on the issue.
traditionally you drink with the leaves pretty rough so no debris gets into your mouth, however the finer yerba produces a stronger taste which some people like. There is nothing wrong with how you are drinking it, but if you want to drink the finer ground stuff you might have to invest in a very fine bombilla, the one you have is probably too large.

also, remember to shake the gourd when you put leaves in there so settle the leaves, and remember not to mix the yerba while you are putting water on it as it might shake up some loose particles that will head straight to the bombilla.

I like drinking yerba with the large particles in there as is it a very smooth sip and great flavor.

Jan 13th, '14, 16:18

by mcrdotcom » Jan 13th, '14, 16:18

campusguy wrote:Have you tried Circle of Drink yerba mate? You should find them on facebook and join their Online Yerba Mate Community—you seem like you'd fit right in. There's plenty of answers to your yerba mate questions on circleofdrink.com.

Salud!
I'll have a look at that now thank you! :D
yalokinh wrote:Hey, hope I can shed some light on the issue.
traditionally you drink with the leaves pretty rough so no debris gets into your mouth, however the finer yerba produces a stronger taste which some people like. There is nothing wrong with how you are drinking it, but if you want to drink the finer ground stuff you might have to invest in a very fine bombilla, the one you have is probably too large.

I like drinking yerba with the large particles in there as is it a very smooth sip and great flavor.
I'll definitely look into purchasing a finer bombilla! I agree, the flavour from the large particles is extremely nice and smooth! Unfortunately with the small particles I can't tell if I actually like it due to the particles in my mouth haha!

Thanks guys :)

May 19th, '14, 16:47

by Groucho » May 19th, '14, 16:47

I know this is VERY late but, if anyone is interested, the Ultimate Bombilla (http://www.goyerbamate.com/itapua-ultimate-bombilla/) works great for finer yerba mates such as Las Canarias (my favorite).

May 20th, '14, 10:52

by Poseidon » May 20th, '14, 10:52

Groucho wrote:I know this is VERY late but, if anyone is interested, the Ultimate Bombilla (http://www.goyerbamate.com/itapua-ultimate-bombilla/) works great for finer yerba mates such as Las Canarias (my favorite).
I second this. I have 2-3 of these bombillas from my mate phase and a few other "traditional" bombillas. While the Ultimate Bombilla looks like something from Lowes plumbing department, it is absolutely the best ive used. As Groucho said, Even with Canarias, a very very fine mate, the bombilla will keep out unwanted debris!

May 20th, '14, 13:05

by yalokinh » May 20th, '14, 13:05

I'll check it out, I've been looking for a finer bombilla. My goal right now is to get a triple filter one, those are nice

+ Post Reply