May 25th, '14, 04:26
Vendor Member

Kitano tenmangu flea market

by blairswhitaker » May 25th, '14, 04:26

Today I went to the flea market in kitano tenmangu. Near the shrine in an old geisha district. This is supposed to be the mother of all kyoto flea markets. I was not disappointed it sprawls on and on and ones only limiting factors are time and money and that varies in order depending on what you are looking for.

Here are a couple of "treasures" I got today.

Imagea very wabi ko-go, probably made from the wood of an old and or important structure.

Imageno idea what that says

And then I got a tobacobon, these things are all over the market in varying quality and prices.

In tea ceremony this is put out to the guests as a welcoming gesture. No one would ever use it, just check to see the coal is hot and admire the implements.

Also got the pipe as well.

May 25th, '14, 17:28

Re: Kitano tenmangu flea market

by Fuut » May 25th, '14, 17:28

Nice!

I can only imagine how i would love flea markets in Japan. I love the ones we have here, but there's rarely anything really worth it;) (or tea related, .. sadly).

May 29th, '14, 13:36
Scrolling: scrolling

by Drax » May 29th, '14, 13:36

Very cool!

The kogo says "saburo saku" (さぶろ 作), which most likely means "made by Saburo." That's a pretty common name (means 'third son').

May 29th, '14, 14:17

by bonescwa » May 29th, '14, 14:17

Fuut wrote:Nice!

I can only imagine how i would love flea markets in Japan. I love the ones we have here, but there's rarely anything really worth it;) (or tea related, .. sadly).
I was just at one where an old chinese woman had, among a lot of thing, a set of 4 gaiwans. They looked very familie rose and the bottom was stamped with something in Chinese. She wanted 5 dollars for the set, but they were pretty big and I had my hands full. I figured she would be back next week, no such luck (yet). They were probably junk but who knows?

+ Post Reply