Jun 2nd, '14, 22:14

An Interesting Ben Shan Green Clay Teapot

by deadlysight » Jun 2nd, '14, 22:14

I bought another teapot recently.

I noticed that this teapot has two interesting traits. First, it has a natural gloss like a transparent water film, it's not polished though. Second, it's difficult to distinguish this clay from Duanni side by side from incandescent lighting. But under natural lighting, this teapot has a hint of green .

The vendor claimed that the clay is Ben Shan Lu Ni. The workmanship is really good, the lid has a perfect fit. Apparently it's hard to work with this clay, either the artist is really good, or the clay is mixed.

Do you guys know how if this clay can develop a natural gloss like Zhuni clay?
Attachments
DSC01754_640.JPG
DSC01754_640.JPG (16.93 KiB) Viewed 1416 times
DSC01776_640.JPG
DSC01776_640.JPG (34 KiB) Viewed 1416 times
DSC01766_640.JPG
DSC01766_640.JPG (16.54 KiB) Viewed 1416 times

Jun 2nd, '14, 22:39

Re: An Interesting Ben Shan Green Clay Teapot

by chrl42 » Jun 2nd, '14, 22:39

Hmm..are you sure it's not polished?

Jun 2nd, '14, 22:47

by deadlysight » Jun 2nd, '14, 22:47

chrl42 wrote:Hmm..are you sure it's not polished?
It is not polished, it's actually quite sandy and I can feel the tiny grits! The vendor told me how it is done!
Last edited by deadlysight on Jun 2nd, '14, 22:58, edited 1 time in total.

Jun 2nd, '14, 22:52

by chrl42 » Jun 2nd, '14, 22:52

deadlysight wrote:
It is not polished, it's actually quite sandy and I can feel the tiny grits! The vendor told me how it is done!
No, I do know the batch of the pot. It's of after-2000 reproduction series.

Has reproductions of Factory-1 and Masters' (see your seal is CR period's). But the clay is recently mixed ones..mould-produced, many comes with a mild polishing.

Jun 2nd, '14, 23:06

by deadlysight » Jun 2nd, '14, 23:06

But, won't mild polishing make the surface much smoother to the touch? It this mixed clay of good quality?

Jun 2nd, '14, 23:13

by chrl42 » Jun 2nd, '14, 23:13

deadlysight wrote:But, won't mild polishing make the surface much smoother to the touch? It this mixed clay of good quality?
I heard they do with a tea oil (not to say your pot is).

Might be ok quality...good luck! :D

Jun 3rd, '14, 00:39

by deadlysight » Jun 3rd, '14, 00:39

I am not very familiar with acronyms, what does CR stand for?

Thanks!

Jun 3rd, '14, 00:51

by Tead Off » Jun 3rd, '14, 00:51

deadlysight wrote:I am not very familiar with acronyms, what does CR stand for?

Thanks!
Cultural Revolution.

I am pretty sure your teapot has had at least some burnishing done to its surface. This makes it more difficult to patinate over time. The teapots that take patination are usually more dull looking.

Jun 3rd, '14, 05:16

by kyarazen » Jun 3rd, '14, 05:16

chrl42 wrote:
deadlysight wrote:But, won't mild polishing make the surface much smoother to the touch? It this mixed clay of good quality?

tea oil is hard to get though, and emits a really strong aroma, extremely unlikely to be used to gloss up pots.

Jun 3rd, '14, 05:18

by kyarazen » Jun 3rd, '14, 05:18

deadlysight wrote:
if you can feel the grits and rough bits etc, then its not polished nor sanded. there are other reasons to why some of the new generation pots can look rather silky and glossy when new or unused, will leave it to the yixing experts to help you with that :)

Jun 3rd, '14, 21:10

by chrl42 » Jun 3rd, '14, 21:10

kyarazen wrote:
chrl42 wrote:

tea oil is hard to get though, and emits a really strong aroma, extremely unlikely to be used to gloss up pots.
that's your logic. the truth is they do in Yixing.

Jun 3rd, '14, 21:33

by kyarazen » Jun 3rd, '14, 21:33

chrl42 wrote:
kyarazen wrote:
chrl42 wrote:

show me a source of tea leaf oil, i'll buy some. dont go around telling them its their logic when you cannot back up with references/sources. i have a friend whom's consultant to a chemical company in wuxi and has been there for almost 20 years, beeswax and other odourless wax/oils are more popular for touching up pots.

tea leaf oil is extremely difficult to purify, i've attempted several distillations.

Jun 3rd, '14, 21:35

by chrl42 » Jun 3rd, '14, 21:35

kyarazen wrote:
chrl42 wrote:
kyarazen wrote:
chrl42 wrote:

show me a source of tea leaf oil, i'll buy some. dont go around telling them its their logic when you cannot back up with references/sources. i have a friend whom's consultant to a chemical company in wuxi and has been there for almost 20 years, beeswax and other odourless wax/oils are more popular for touching up pots.

tea leaf oil is extremely difficult to purify, i've attempted several distillations.
I have friends who monthly visit Yixing too, don't you know I live near Maliandao? :)

Those waxes are used for the teapots too, but relatively better ones use Black tea oils.

Jun 3rd, '14, 22:02

by kyarazen » Jun 3rd, '14, 22:02

chrl42 wrote:
kyarazen wrote:
chrl42 wrote:
kyarazen wrote:
chrl42 wrote:

I have friends who monthly visit Yixing too, don't you know I live near Maliandao? :)

Those waxes are used for the teapots too, but relatively better ones use Black tea oils.
北京马连道?茶城地区?my wife stayed in the vicinity when she went to college then. maybe through out the years she might have picked up some tea and yixing secrets and kept them away from me!

probably not black tea oil from leaves, in the literature there's still no way to distill and obtain large amounts of oil from tea with mostly waxes coming out of the material. your "tea" oil is probably made from other parts of the tea plant or similar species

Jun 3rd, '14, 22:08

by chrl42 » Jun 3rd, '14, 22:08

kyarazen wrote:
chrl42 wrote:
kyarazen wrote:
chrl42 wrote:
kyarazen wrote:
chrl42 wrote:

北京马连道?茶城地区?my wife stayed in the vicinity when she went to college then. maybe through out the years she might have picked up some tea and yixing secrets and kept them away from me!

probably not black tea oil from leaves, in the literature there's still no way to distill and obtain large amounts of oil from tea with mostly waxes coming out of the material. your "tea" oil is probably made from other parts of the tea plant or similar species
I do know Maliandao isn't Fangcun..but fakes exist everywhere.

Any kind of faking and supplying exist in the present day of Yixing. Because good clays have gone but they have to sell them. Nowadays many poisonous things are done to purify the clay and Zhuni comes from Zhejiang, Hubei, Guangxi..everywhere!

I will ask for more info next time, but you are just a guy who said oxide powders are harmless! I just do not know how my backed up datas can satisfy your keen eye of judgement.