Green oolong storage

Owes its flavors to oxidation levels between green & black tea.

Jun 3rd, '14, 21:29

Green oolong storage

by Bef » Jun 3rd, '14, 21:29

Hi,

I've just bought enough green taiwanese oolong for the next 6 months (found a great deal for winter oolong).

The tea is vacuum sealed, in 50g bags, with some oxygen absorber packets. But it's already 6 months old, and it's green...

I'm wondering if I should keep these bags in the fridge, until I open them, as I do with Sencha?

If so, should I store them in something like a Mason jar, in the fridge (keeping them in their own vacuum sealed bags, of course)? Or is this useless?

Jun 3rd, '14, 22:52

by bonescwa » Jun 3rd, '14, 22:52

They're already vacuum sealed, they should be fine

Jun 3rd, '14, 23:11
Vendor Member

Re: Green oolong storage

by ethan » Jun 3rd, '14, 23:11

So, Bef, while we are sharing advice etc. what was the great deal? Did the oolong fall off a truck or did you order from someone online?

Jun 3rd, '14, 23:44
Scrolling: scrolling

Re:

by ABx » Jun 3rd, '14, 23:44

bonescwa wrote:They're already vacuum sealed, they should be fine
+1

Jun 4th, '14, 06:13

by Bef » Jun 4th, '14, 06:13

ethan wrote:So, Bef, while we are sharing advice etc. what was the great deal? Did the oolong fall off a truck or did you order from someone online?
It was on TTC: -40% on green winter oolong. But it's already over...

Jun 4th, '14, 16:41

by bonescwa » Jun 4th, '14, 16:41

ethan wrote:So, Bef, while we are sharing advice etc. what was the great deal? Did the oolong fall off a truck or did you order from someone online?
I wish tea fell off of trucks... instead I have to settle for electronics and clothes "falling off the truck" :lol:

Jun 4th, '14, 18:49

by Bef » Jun 4th, '14, 18:49

Bef wrote:
It was on TTC: -40% on green winter oolong. But it's already over...
Hum, actually, I think that the sale on green winter oolongs is still available...

Jun 7th, '14, 16:45

by Muadeeb » Jun 7th, '14, 16:45

I picked up a few things from that sale too. In order to hit the $50 free shipping, I added one of the bag clips to my order. They forgot to include it with the tea shipment, so they sent it on its own the next day. That's good customer service.

I've tried the shibi, lishan cui fong, and alishan wing xin so far, and while they're very good teas, I think I prefer spring teas. Philip at TTC included a sample of last year's sancenping with another order a few months ago, and that was incredible. I'm regretting not trying the winter version that's in sale right now for comparison.

Jun 8th, '14, 01:51

Re:

by Mureke » Jun 8th, '14, 01:51

Muadeeb wrote: Philip at TTC included a sample of last year's sancenping with another order a few months ago, and that was incredible. I'm regretting not trying the winter version that's in sale right now for comparison.
I brewed 150g of 2013 winter Sancengping last winter. It was somewhat similar to the Shibi but more complex. To me, there was a strong sense of orchids in this tea. The high mountain character complete with nai xiang and fruits was there. I did also enjoy the Shibi because it was just so unsually full with honey.

Jun 8th, '14, 18:59

Re:

by hobnob » Jun 8th, '14, 18:59

Muadeeb wrote:I picked up a few things from that sale too. In order to hit the $50 free shipping, I added one of the bag clips to my order. They forgot to include it with the tea shipment, so they sent it on its own the next day. That's good customer service.

I've tried the shibi, lishan cui fong, and alishan wing xin so far, and while they're very good teas, I think I prefer spring teas. Philip at TTC included a sample of last year's sancenping with another order a few months ago, and that was incredible. I'm regretting not trying the winter version that's in sale right now for comparison.
I've found their customer service to be exemplary.

Jun 20th, '14, 01:16

by Oni » Jun 20th, '14, 01:16

I think if they are sealed they are best kept in the fridge, but once they are opened and you are using the tea, the in and out and suddden changes in temperature ruins the tea, it build up condense, I think a constant temperature is key. Once the bag is open I usually keep it in their bag if it is possible and put it in a tea can with double seal and put it in my lowest to the ground cupboard and use it up in a month.
The greener, the less oxidised the faster it degrades, if it is oxidized or fermented, roasted in some cases it keeps better for a long time even without a fridge.

+ Post Reply