Good kyusu for fuka?

Made from leaves that have not been oxidized.

Jun 5th, '14, 21:46

Good kyusu for fuka?

by gunbuster363 » Jun 5th, '14, 21:46

Hi I have been lurking around and realize that many of you are using kyusu of non metal filter.

I have only been using kyusu of fine steel mesh filter because it just work for fukamushi which I drink most.

I also found that the higher end Kyusu only have non metal filter but I don't know which kind of filter works best for fuka. Here is a list of filter I know of..Any idea which filter works best?

Small ball filter:

Large ball filter:

Direct filter:

Super fine ball filter:

Suspend steel mesh:

On the pot steel mesh:

Jun 5th, '14, 22:22
Scrolling: scrolling

Re: Good kyusu for fuka?

by Chip » Jun 5th, '14, 22:22

Actually, not just higher end, but more artisan will have clay screens.

Some claim the fine mesh sesame (you call it fine mesh ball) is the best for fuka, I disagree. I just used likely that very same kyusu for fuka today, it was a clogged up mess.

I also use smaller ball screens for fuka, just requires a bit of pouring practice to make it work.

I usually prefer the true ball filter, larger is better. But the one you label large ball filter is actually a large hole sesame. However, a large hole sesame works well too for fuka.

Direct hole can be most challenging for fuka ... depends on the holes to a degree.

Most stainless steel screens will work very well for fuka. But there is a school of thought to stay away from SS screens. I will use them, they work very well, but I do prefer clay ... it just feels more right.

Jun 5th, '14, 22:25

by Chip » Jun 5th, '14, 22:25

Around here ... we refer to the screens more often as labeled below.

Small ball filter:

Large hole sasame:

Direct filter:

Super fine sasame:

Jun 5th, '14, 22:45

by gunbuster363 » Jun 5th, '14, 22:45

Thanks. Do you mean with a fine ceramic mesh it would clog up easily with fuka?

Jun 5th, '14, 22:53

by Chip » Jun 5th, '14, 22:53

gunbuster363 wrote:Thanks. Do you mean with a fine ceramic mesh it would clog up easily with fuka?
Yes. And with age, the holes become seemingly smaller. Whereas larger hole counterparts are not subject to such issues.

BTW, I also enjoy when some smaller particles pass through to the cup.

Jun 5th, '14, 22:59

by bambooforest » Jun 5th, '14, 22:59

If convenience is your number one goal, then I definitely recommend stainless steel mesh.

If you're buying a beautiful artisan pot, then ceramic filter is fine, but I agree with Chip that the ceramic filters made for fuka just don't seem worth it to me. Bigger holes are better, and I also like how they let in some of the finer particles into the cup. For me, this absolutely enhances the experience.

I've started using my artisan pot almost exclusively these days because I just love how it feels so traditional. But it does take me a bit more time to drain it, since I have to shake it over the cup for little bit longer than a stainless steel mesh. Maybe quite a bit longer.

Also, I don't know how truly fine particled fuka would work with a ceramic mesh. I've used fuka with mine with no problems, but the fuka is pretty in tact, almost as much as asamushi.

Jun 6th, '14, 00:08

by gunbuster363 » Jun 6th, '14, 00:08

I am still confused.

If I want to use ceramic filter. Which one is the best? Does it just work or require some attention / slow pour?

Absolutely cannot use fine ceramic filter?

Jun 6th, '14, 02:57

by Alex » Jun 6th, '14, 02:57

Any of those will be great for Fuka. I mostly use a 14 hole direct filter one for fuka out of all my pots..why? because it has the right pressure in the flow of the spout that seems to keep the leaves away from the filter....that and its great shape - tall and wider at the bottom. Second choice would be a great porcelain pot I got with a porcelain ball filter which is large with tonnes of fine holes. But even though this pot has ten times the amount of holes it lets more particles through then the direct filter due to its flow being too "loose". For this though I use a little bit of muslin over the cup although most of the time I use without a filter as I like a few bits in the cup.

http://www.hibiki-an.com/images/upload/ ... su_B03.jpg
Last edited by Alex on Jun 6th, '14, 03:02, edited 2 times in total.

Jun 6th, '14, 02:58

by bambooforest » Jun 6th, '14, 02:58

In my opinion, suspended steel mesh is going to drain the best, with the least effort.

I have not yet tried the most fine of fukamushi in a 'large ball filter' but I have tried fukamushi in which the tea isn't so fine. Maybe it's actually a mid-steamed sencha. Anyways, it worked fine, but it won't drain as easily as a suspended steel mesh. You will have to shake it more, for a longer period of time, to get more of the last drops out of the pot.

I personally do not like the 'super fine ball filter'. The holes are so small that tea seems to get stuck in them, rendering the filter not as effective. With the 'large ball filter' this apparently doesn't happen.

Personally, I wouldn't go anywhere near a 'super fine ball filter'. It's simply not going to function like a SS filter.

I have no experience with the other filters you've posted. If you do go with the 'small ball filter' make sure the holes go right up agains the wall of the kyusu. Chip has expressed before that if this doesn't happen, it drains very poorly.

My experience with asamushi and fuka that's not very fine is that the ceramic filter works, but you have to pour more slowly, and when you get to the end, you have to shake it for a longer period of time to get all the last drops out.

Another thing, that I learned from Chip is... if you get a ceramic filter kyuusu, make sure it's not a flat shape. A flat shaped kyuusu will make it harder to drain because with a rounder or taller kyuusu some of the tea will stay toward the bottom as the water drains toward the top.

Here is a good place to buy an artisan kyuusu, and the place where I purchased mine:

http://artisticnippon.com/product/tokon ... eindex.htm

Jun 6th, '14, 03:03

by Alex » Jun 6th, '14, 03:03

Recently I've really gone off the highly broken up Fukas. Defo a favouring for "mid" steamed these day. 8)

Jun 6th, '14, 05:47

Good kyusu for fuka?

by Pig Hog » Jun 6th, '14, 05:47

I recently bought a Bizen kyusu with a direct filter that I'm using for any kind of sencha. It requires some control to pour slowly and can let leafy bits through when I'm brewing fukamushi if I'm not careful, but I don't mind that.

Previously I used a Banko with a small ball filter (now reallocated to genmaicha prep) which was also fine.

I actually own a larger Tokoname kyusu with a fine SS mesh that is specifically for fukamushi sencha, however, I use it for houji and bancha and the like. I often get large bits of leaf slipping past the edges and to be honest, can't see it being great for fukamushicha!

To cut a long story short, if it works for me, it works and I'll use whatever's going!

Jun 6th, '14, 07:49

by Chip » Jun 6th, '14, 07:49

gunbuster363 wrote:I am still confused.

If I want to use ceramic filter. Which one is the best? Does it just work or require some attention / slow pour?

Absolutely cannot use fine ceramic filter?
Obviously, there is not one best or everyone would be making and using the same screen. They are all good, for different teas, even for different sencha.

You cannot dump/pour with a ceramic filter, it is more a matter of technique. For fukamushi, I tend to go more for the large ball. I will dig up a picture for you of a large ball filter.

In fact, I will be using one this morning!

Jun 7th, '14, 18:48
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jun 7th, '14, 18:48

Gentlemen,

Any thoughts on this kyusu?

http://www.hibiki-an.com/product_info.p ... cts_id/887

Jun 7th, '14, 19:25

by Chip » Jun 7th, '14, 19:25

jayinhk wrote:Gentlemen,

Any thoughts on this kyusu?

http://www.hibiki-an.com/product_info.p ... cts_id/887
Hmmm, the handle is on the wrong side, must be defective. :mrgreen:

Seriously though, I cannot see the screen, can anyone else?

Jun 7th, '14, 19:28
Vendor Member

by jayinhk » Jun 7th, '14, 19:28

lol aside from handle orientation, what do you think?

Large hole sesame filter below:

http://www.hibiki-an.com/images/upload/ ... yu_B03.jpg

EDIT: I just bought that kyusu.

+ Post Reply