Pu er storage in attic

One of the intentionally aged teas, Pu-Erh has a loyal following.

May 28th, '12, 12:06

Re: Pu er storage in attic

by HifideliTea » May 28th, '12, 12:06

Hi all, latest photos of the status of the attic. Installed roof ventilator, solar film 2 windows, added racking and plan to hang the bings on the racks. I've also lined some of the walls with camphor woods as well.
It's an improvement, it's less hotter and less humid. Except that when it gets really really hot (when it records 29 Degree C), the humidity dips to below 30%! Here in Singapore. I guess it will be hotter up in the attic - these readings are taken 10ft down.
I am thinking of cool roofing the attic and replacing glass windows with glass bricks. Will instal an access ladder as well.

My $ now goes to improvement of the attic area. .... Unfortunately it did not stop me from spending on 2X 1kg bings just yesterday, a 2003 Menghai Tea Factory golden bud ancient tea.

I am also vacuum packing some older teas. Don't know if it makes any sense at all.....am doing A-B test with one vacuum packed and another in normal conditions.

Thanks for watching.
25C 70%.jpg
25 degree C and 70% humidity
25C 70%.jpg (16.8 KiB) Viewed 1991 times
Work in progress roof ventilator.jpg
Roof ventilator
Work in progress roof ventilator.jpg (20.61 KiB) Viewed 1991 times
Camphor woods.jpg
Camphor planks
Camphor woods.jpg (17.97 KiB) Viewed 1991 times

May 28th, '12, 12:12

by HifideliTea » May 28th, '12, 12:12

More pics...
Hanging bings.jpg
Hanging bings
Hanging bings.jpg (21.31 KiB) Viewed 1990 times
Need to sort these out.jpg
Need to sort these out soon
Need to sort these out.jpg (24.22 KiB) Viewed 1990 times
Need more space!.jpg
This corner has too much tea and too little space to breath!
Need more space!.jpg (29.22 KiB) Viewed 1990 times

May 28th, '12, 13:38
Scrolling: scrolling

by Drax » May 28th, '12, 13:38

Wow, that's a lot of great work, KC, thanks for sharing. It looks great! (and I'm not sure one can ever really say "too much tea" :lol: ).

The camphor planks is an interesting idea! Where did you get those...?

May 28th, '12, 14:43
Vendor Member

by gingkoseto » May 28th, '12, 14:43

That's a seriously constructed storage place! :D
I saw the caption of your last photo says "this corner has too little space to breath". Maybe that's not something to worry about after all. Some people believe there should be a minimum amount of tea per cubic meter in storage, as low density in storage might be more of a problem than high density storage. So I think your dense corner is probably just good. :D

I love your tea jars, and I know I'm not the only one ranting on this - how nice it is to have big tea jars sold locally!! :o

May 29th, '12, 07:45

by HifideliTea » May 29th, '12, 07:45

The camphor woods were purchased in China in large planks. There are also those from old trees and they smell better from the newer ones, but is very costly.
The large Yixing jars were also purchased in China - thank goodness none of it was damaged during the shipment.

One tea merchant often tell me - keep your teas in a habitable human environment, neither too hot or too cold, nor too dry or too humid; and the teas will turn out right. And the attic area smells of tea, just heavenly!

On the subject of vacuum pack, there is another theory from another tea merchant that the old tea merchants from the tea horse trail days produced bings that was compressed so tight so as to remove the air and keep it's characteristics. My vacuum pack is only for selected old teas that i fear will lose it's flavor over time.

Both were nutritionists.

Jun 11th, '14, 21:38

by AllanK » Jun 11th, '14, 21:38

HifideliTea wrote:After 4 years in China, I am back in Singapore for good. My shopping for pu erh will now be selective and limited, most probably in KL and Beijing.

The hoard of teas and accessories arrived safely last week and will be stored in the attic, which is about 10 feet above the 2nd level of the house.

Here are some pictures of the storage area. I've yet to design the access to the attic (an industrial ladder is now used) and the shelving for the teas. I do not know if a cupboard or open shelves should be used, and if the tea can be affected by too much natural light in open shelving - I am grateful for any advise on this.

I am also concerned about the higher temperature 25-30 C and humidity 65-70% up in the attic compared to cooler conditions at ground level. I may need to instal a wall dehumidifier or air con the area.
Attic from level 2.jpg
Attic looking down.jpg
Tea in a corner.jpg
More pictures to follow.
Thank you for any advise on the open shelving vs cupboards and temperature/humidity conditions.
I am wondering if the original poster is still a member of Teachat and how this incredible storage setup and tea collection is doing. I hope this tea is improving.

Jun 11th, '14, 22:00

by kyarazen » Jun 11th, '14, 22:00

still active i think. i would love to drop by to have some tea and listen to some music!

Jun 11th, '14, 22:09

by AllanK » Jun 11th, '14, 22:09

kyarazen wrote:still active i think. i would love to drop by to have some tea and listen to some music!
So would I but it would require a rather long plane ride.

Jun 11th, '14, 22:14
Scrolling: scrolling

by Chip » Jun 11th, '14, 22:14

Looking at that in home collection, I always have to wonder what it smells like when you walk in his door ... :mrgreen:

Jun 12th, '14, 05:15

by HifideliTea » Jun 12th, '14, 05:15

Hi fellow teachatters,

For the last 2 years, I have moved the teas around the house to ensure that there is no one single location that any one tea will absorb the air in that same environment. The collection has also increased to the extent that I have also built additional shelvings. Moving it from attic to downstairs is a chore, but as I enjoyed it, the benefits are worth the effort.

It is coincidental that this subject has resurfaced. Just about 3 weeks ago, I brewed a tea from a bing that I had tasted almost 2 years ago and found it rather rough and lacking. When I brewed it this time, the change was very obvious, it was smooth, less astringent and the flavour was very subtle. My wife even agreed that there was a change in the drink from 2 years ago.
I can only conclude that storage over time does change the tea's characteristics. Whether storage at the attic, or in the hallways or shelves at various parts of the house would have any differences; that, I am not able to determine. I can also safely say that there has not been any bad tea, it's only better.

As to the music, my transports' broke and is beyond repair, so I'm using the Oppo bluray player to spin the disc. I'm shopping for a new transport/dac that will set me back some big $.

Jun 12th, '14, 06:35

by Teaism » Jun 12th, '14, 06:35

Interesting findings and thanks for sharing. Let me know if I have a chance to try the tea based on the storage method at your place. :D
If yes, PM me :wink:

Cheers! :D

Jun 12th, '14, 09:14

by Poseidon » Jun 12th, '14, 09:14

Im not a Pu guy but that makes my mouth water! Nice collection!

Jun 12th, '14, 10:02

by kyarazen » Jun 12th, '14, 10:02

HifideliTea wrote:Hi fellow teachatters,

For the last 2 years, I have moved the teas around the house to ensure that there is no one single location that any one tea will absorb the air in that same environment. The collection has also increased to the extent that I have also built additional shelvings. Moving it from attic to downstairs is a chore, but as I enjoyed it, the benefits are worth the effort.

It is coincidental that this subject has resurfaced. Just about 3 weeks ago, I brewed a tea from a bing that I had tasted almost 2 years ago and found it rather rough and lacking. When I brewed it this time, the change was very obvious, it was smooth, less astringent and the flavour was very subtle. My wife even agreed that there was a change in the drink from 2 years ago.
I can only conclude that storage over time does change the tea's characteristics. Whether storage at the attic, or in the hallways or shelves at various parts of the house would have any differences; that, I am not able to determine. I can also safely say that there has not been any bad tea, it's only better.

As to the music, my transports' broke and is beyond repair, so I'm using the Oppo bluray player to spin the disc. I'm shopping for a new transport/dac that will set me back some big $.
wah.. what transport was that? if its beyond repair dont throw it out.. i wouldnt mind buying it if its inexpensive and play around with it

currently using a shigaclone.. but havent been spinning up much as i had been too busy the past year.

would "fengshui" have a role to play in tea location storage? :P

Jun 12th, '14, 20:43

by AllanK » Jun 12th, '14, 20:43

Where do you get those large bamboo baskets that some of the tea is stored in and does it impart a bamboo flavor to the tea?

Jun 12th, '14, 23:19

by HifideliTea » Jun 12th, '14, 23:19

Thanks all for listening in...(for an audio guy, this is no pun intended)

Kyarazen,
The transport was the Audiomeca Mephisto IIx, sorry to say that it's broken up into various parts to be recycled. I have not applied feng shui for tea storage, however, I do think that it ages better with Classical, Rock, Jazz and easy listening music :D

AllanK, the large bamboo baskets were purchased in the Maliandao tea street in Beijing when I was living there, I have not been able to find it anywhere outside of China. It had a neutral smell and did not affect the storage.
I also used cloth bags but the cotton quality was bad and had a smell after long period of storage. I've replaced them with carton boxes purchased in KL.

+ Post Reply